A New RoTK XI Guide

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

A New RoTK XI Guide

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 am

version 1.8:
http://www.wuala.com/hellkite/Public/RoTK%20XI%20Editing%20Guide.rar/

This guide objective is to provide international community gamers the knowledge necessary to edit files in order to customize the game in many possible ways for an enhanced experience, since there's no official editor (safe the limited nonenglish PUK built-in editor) and all fan made editors are not in english.

Foreign versions of the game, including PUK versions, have very similar structure (almost the same) and eventually notes will be presented in this guide about japanese PUK version since it was fan translated to english (no other PUK version have been translated).

There is a PDF inside the RAR.
You need a program that supports ODF to open the editable version. Like Apache OpenOffice Writer:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/
or LibreOffice:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

It covers everything in Zetta guide and the threads:
- Software & Basics (mostly)
- Additional info for hex editing ROTK XI
- RTKXI PC : Created Officer Model Gallery
- modding the character AVATAR in rtk 11
- Editing Multiple HEX Files At Once

It doesn't cover these threads/topics:
- RTKXI Face Editor
- RTKXI Trainer
- SanEditor (not even mention)
- San11Sire
- San11Snd

Suggestions? Corrections?
Last edited by Lezard on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Re: A New RoTK XI Guide

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 am

Uh what was wrong with Zetta's guide?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 am

It's outdated, contains misleading/wrong information and, as I said before, many errors (I just don't understand why the hex strings are all messed up). To make things worse it wasn't editable, making it much harder to update.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort made to discover the meaning of the positions and sharing it, but frankly the guide itself was poorly written, is confusing and full of errors (things that only make it harder for starters). I know that most people is not interested anymore, but I hope this helps some fans/old school gamers ... one day we won't be here anymore to answer questions (there's very few people around already).

So what I did was to "convert" Zetta guide into an editable format and add all the new information presented in the threads I've mentioned before, updating it.

Unfortunately I'm only one person and I haven't spent the time correcting all errors or really improving the text. All I did was to make it editable and update it. I believe that this guide is clearer concerning models/textures then the original threads though.

So ... willing to help? :mrgreen:
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 am

The hex strings were not necessarily wrong, they were just inconsistent. He mixed the number window with the string window (for example "2" instead of "32" or "d" instead of "64").

Good to see you've corrected the remaining mistakes, like officer models and districts.
However, the extended scenario example near the end has still messed up strings.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am

The hex strings were not necessarily wrong, they were just inconsistent. He mixed the number window with the string window (for example "2" instead of "32" or "d" instead of "64").

In my opinion that's plain wrong to do so, and causes much more trouble than bring any benefits. It would have been much more clever to add the information twice, stating clearly what is hex and what is ascii. Still, I think that only hex would be enough, with only some relevant comments. But, I dunno if mixing was the cause of the errors, I've highlighted some errors in some strings (they are in bold and italic with a question mark next to them), things like "p", "n" or ")" popping out of the blue in the middle of the hex string. Maybe the pdf conversion ruined the file? It's a very odd issue.

Good to see you've corrected the remaining mistakes, like officer models and districts.
However, the extended scenario example near the end has still messed up strings.

I haven't, safe for officer editing (in which I've replaced the hex taken as example) and important things you've pointed in your thread (regarding meaning of positions and all), almost all errors are still there :|

I've spend more than 20h to make it and I'm still not pleased with the result, but I'm tired and can't afford to keep spending time like that. I truly wished someone to revise it, see if there's any important conceptual problem, and fix the hex strings presented as examples ... I think the inconsistent hex strings are very detracting, make things much harder. Only that would be enough I believe (at least the guide would be consistent), I've abide by the way it was written already.
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 am

I didn't even notice that stuff, heh. Or just overlooked it, I haven't "learned" anything from the guide in a while and mainly use it for the city and officer location hex values.

I wouldn't mind touching up the grammar etc (Zetta is not a native English speaker, I believe, heck, quite a few regulars are not) but I don't want to download a program just to do that, I'm very fussy about downloading programs. :pika:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:03 am

Threadstarter,

Do explain the creation of districts too........

It is not well written

Write here, the hex offset value for district location too
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah, the district creation was one of the major problems when I started editing scenarios back then. I didn't really understand what I had to do. Not sure how I got the hang of it eventually.

Zetta is French IIRC. I'm German and don't really like writing (or rewriting in this case) a guide in another language, so I'll leave that to you. :lol:
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm German and don't really like writing (or rewriting in this case) a guide in another language, so I'll leave that to you. :lol:

C'mon, I'm not a native english speaker either. Your english is just fine. If it´s any comfort, many native speakers don't even know the difference between "its" and "it's".

I wouldn't mind touching up the grammar etc (Zetta is not a native English speaker, I believe, heck, quite a few regulars are not) but I don't want to download a program just to do that, I'm very fussy about downloading programs. :pika:

You can use the portable version: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=212
Still, I recommend installing it normally so it loads faster. It's a good program and by using ODF you actually own your files.

Concerning "district creation":
- District is that division, up to 8 parts, made when you have more than 6 cities and start lacking AP
- I believe the problem is the misuse of the word district in the guide (Example: "2.2. Editing current cities HP" calls force color of district)
- I maybe wrong, but if you want to make a district, look at "5.2. Adding a Force" (it actually should be "Adding Forces and its Districts"). In the example you find there, you can see the first "Force hexstrings" (of 8 bytes each), have 00 as 1st byte and an increasing count on the 2nd byte (01, 02, 03 and 04). This means the first 4 "forces" are actually 1 Force (Cao Cao's Force — 00 = "blue") which is composed by 4 districts (01, 02, 03 and 04). So each 8 bytes are actually "Force Districts hexstrings" (not "Force hexstrings") been a Force composed of 1 to 8 of these "Force Districts hexstrings". Note: position in which you put these "Force Districts hexstrings" is important, because when you want to change an officer/item Force, you actually input the "Force District hexstring" position. (Keep positions aligned with the definitions, see "5.1. Defining a Force")
Clear? Have I said bullshit? You guys should know better :P

I'll try correcting this soon.

EDIT:
- Seems in "5. Adding and deleting forces" starting offset is 0x2735a (not 0x2735b as I said on the guide), and 0x24ac0 on PUK (not 0x24ac1). Been descriptions of 68 bytes (there's no 22 bytes to next line ... )
- 27E82 would be the beginning of "Force Districts hexstrings", I think. (255E8 on PUK)
Can anyone confirm?
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby foosoomin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 am

Lezard,

27FD7 would be the very first district hex offset position, which is also Cao Cao 1st district
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods