A New RoTK XI Guide

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: A New RoTK XI Guide

Unread postby Lezard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Ok, changes made.

--------
Descriptions:

Force position
Position of the Force on the piece of code addressed in “5.1. Defining a Force”.

District number
Between 01 and 08 (1st and 8th district).

Ruler number
Same number used in Ruler under “5.1. Force Defining” above. Again, officer numbers are available in Table 9.

(...)
--------
Note 1: Added a note in table 9 about the relation between officers coding and position.
Note 2: I've added Conquer Area/Regions and Conquer Provinces in "District target" so you don't have to look up somewhere else (I think that was bothering foosoomin).

I'm not promptly uploading though ... There is anything else to be changed?
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby foosoomin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 am

Lezard,

Please explain in an easier way,

1) After creating new force, we must place the city colour on the respective cities via hex editor, so that when player select scenarios to play new game, at least they can see the cities colour code (a force in the city)

2) Explain how to place other officers as "Emperor"

3) How to change life span to Fictional in scenario file
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Please explain in an easier way,

I agree the guide could be more intelligible, but unfortunately, I lack the editing experience, the language awareness and the time (just like anybody else ... ) to rewrite the guide. That's why I previously said I'm abiding by leaving text as is, still, what really bothers me is the inconsistence of the examples (hexstrings) which is misleading.

1) After creating new force, we must place the city colour on the respective cities via hex editor, so that when player select scenarios to play new game, at least they can see the cities colour code (a force in the city)

You mean colors addressed in "2.2. Editing current cities HP"? If you do so, the problem is that the guide follows the coded order, not the editing order. All I can do is put a reminder either at the end of "5. Adding and deleting forces" or beginning of "6. About Cities, Gates and Ports" and maybe elaborate a bit in 2.2.

Look under "2.1. Changing scenario description" (after Table 2):
- game settings similar to Rise of Heroes
- Emperor
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am

Lezard wrote:I agree the guide could be more intelligible, but unfortunately, I lack the editing experience, the language awareness and the time (just like anybody else ... ) to rewrite the guide. That's why I previously said I'm abiding by leaving text as is, still, what really bothers me is the inconsistence of the examples (hexstrings) which is misleading.

Don't feel bad. foosoomin has been trying to get someone to explain the rather complicated process of making a new force for a while now. Since it's extremely complicated to explain (from start to finish, so many variables must be changed), and we pretty much had to learn it on our own through trial and error, there has been some...reluctance...to detail the process. And I will admit, Zetta's explanation is quite confusing if you don't know what you're doing, since his knowledge about the district section editing was outdated not long after the latest edition of the guide was released. But he basically tossed it in at my request. :oops:

Even just the list of different steps to create a simple force from scratch is practically a novella. :lol:

1) assign ruler etc in force code based on desired color (this determines force color)
2) assign new district for force (this determines force code)
3) assign troops/gold/food/supplies/order/will to desired city (I always get whether to use force code or color mixed up here, I think it's code but you quickly discover if you got it right by picking the scenario and checking the city)
4) assign officers to that city (must assign force code (or maybe color), location, officer rank (00 for ruler, 03 for officers, no need to bother with viceroys and prefects as they are automatically determined every turn), loyalty, optionally deeds
5) optionally, assign ports/gates to city (force code/troops/gold/food/equipment/will)
6) optionally, update scenario description; force color in city, force description (based on force code)

Maybe if I have some free time over the weekend, I'll "redo" Zetta's Zhou Cang example and type it up on this thread. Lezard can use it for the guide if desired.

foosoomin wrote:1) After creating new force, we must place the city colour on the respective cities via hex editor, so that when player select scenarios to play new game, at least they can see the cities colour code (a force in the city)

This part, if I understand you correctly, is easy. The map description colors appear right at the very beginning of the file. I think it's right before the scenario description, even, and just after the map date (which is not the actual scenario date, just the date on the scenario description). You just stick the hex for the color you want in the right byte, it follows the standard city order.

All of this stuff right at the beginning of the file has no effect on the scenario itself.

It's in the force code, where you choose things like ruler, strategist, relations, alliances, and force tech. Force rank is a little after relations and just before alliances. I can't reference it right now but with empty forces it's something like "ff 09 00 ff" roughly, and 09 is the force rank. I believe changing that to 00 gives the force the emperor rank.

I don't think anyone explicitly worked out how to set lifespans to fictional actually - and it's kind of pointless anyway since you can do it when you start a new game. Although there have been times I start up a game and then want to change the lifespan settings, heh.

You can set up a scenario to be like RoH but under-aged officers will never appear unless you change something. It's as easy as changing the officer status byte from 06 (under-aged) to 07 (hidden) I would assume. Zetta released a scenario a long time ago, and the first edition had this problem. You can probably get away with doing a hexidecimal search for "06 50" or "06 50 ff ff". Or even using the replace feature, for doing this, is is (for once) very useful.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

Let me complete my game first, then explain the force position
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Don't feel bad.

I don't, I've achieved my goal (compiling everything in one place). And I'm glad to see interest in further improving the guide, it's only that I can't do much on my own.

Maybe if I have some free time over the weekend, I'll "redo" Zetta's Zhou Cang example and type it up on this thread. Lezard can use it for the guide if desired.

I believe your talking about the "extended example" at the end. It would be great if you could remake this example (or even replace for a better one) as it follows the editing order people might follow and the current example is wrong. If do I'll update the guide accordingly for sure.

This part, if I understand you correctly, is easy. The map description colors appear right at the very beginning of the file. I think it's right before the scenario description, even, and just after the map date (which is not the actual scenario date, just the date on the scenario description). You just stick the hex for the color you want in the right byte, it follows the standard city order.

All of this stuff right at the beginning of the file has no effect on the scenario itself.

At the address 02 d2 right? I wonder why you have to repeat the colors next to current cities HP.

It's in the force code, where you choose things like ruler, strategist, relations, alliances, and force tech. Force rank is a little after relations and just before alliances. I can't reference it right now but with empty forces it's something like "ff 09 00 ff" roughly, and 09 is the force rank. I believe changing that to 00 gives the force the emperor rank.

ff = null Bandits Tribe Relations
09 = no Title (Lt. Governor ~ Emperor or none)
00 = Wei Country???
ff = White Color
At least is what is in the guide.

under-aged officers will never appear

Added to the guide :lol:

Since nobody wants to personally edit the guide, here is a PDF of the latest version:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kcituf
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Free forces have the code:

00 09 ff 00 ff ff

00 = Relations with Bandits
09 = Force rank
ff = Country
00 = Colour (blue in this case)
ff ff = Force target

I'm quite busy writing a research paper, so I don't really have time to read through all of that. I just noticed the thing about forces.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby foosoomin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 am

From the way I look at it, Lezard has not created any force by himself.

Lezard,

Once you successfully create a force, you will know the steps easily. Till then, you will know how to explain in a much simple explanation
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 am

00 09 ff 00 ff ff > Now it makes sense.

Correct, I never released any scenario and I'm not willing to do so any time soon. Further more, I never said I was going to write a better explanation, all I did was compile existing information in an editable format and point out that improvement was needed and easier to be achieved now (how many times have I repeated that?).

Why don't you write the explanation foosoomin? If you can't and actually wants one then wait for Zyzyfer example, he have plenty of practical experience.
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 am

Lezard wrote:I believe your talking about the "extended example" at the end. It would be great if you could remake this example (or even replace for a better one) as it follows the editing order people might follow and the current example is wrong. If do I'll update the guide accordingly for sure.

Yes, that's right. When I have some free time at home to do it then I will.

ff = null Bandits Tribe Relations
09 = no Title (Lt. Governor ~ Emperor or none)
00 = Wei Country???
ff = White Color
At least is what is in the guide.

LCC knows better than I do, as demonstrated by his post. I was going by very faulty memory haha

Since nobody wants to personally edit the guide, here is a PDF of the latest version:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kcituf

Yeah sorry but like I said I don't want to download programs for little one-off things. But thanks for updating it. :wink:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods