Additional info for hex editing ROTK XI

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: Additional info for hex editing ROTK XI

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 am

Yay I had forgotten about that section for changing the AI activities. Once you put up the district ones, I think I will fiddle around. Then perhaps I can scale back the ridiculous tech for some of the rubbish forces in X Series. Liu Zhang with max defense tech and still sucky... :lol:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 am

Might help. Has the Blank scenario reappeared somewhere somehow? I think it could be easily used to set up like two forces and test different AI targets. Both for forces and for districts (there are some more unused options in the District code).

Emperor
Well yeah, I've noticed that the guide doesn't mention this one.
When setting up the REAL starting date in the scenario, you'll have to look for this code as presented in Zetta's guide:

00 00 b8 00 01 01 bc 02 00 00 00 00 00 ff ( 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ae

Now the blue part allows you to choose who the Emperor in this scenario is. The codes for the Emperors are in the officer list in Zetta's guide, but it should be possible to even choose real officers.

District editing
So, the final part regarding scenarios is the district code. Zetta mentions that it's easy to distinguish between each district because of an ff 00 ff part. Ditch that (though it does help to keep them apart). He also mentions that before this part, there's a byte which codes district AI behaviour. That's correct, but the ff 00 ff part also plays a part in that.

00 01 57 01 01 02 03 11

This is Cao Cao's first district code in Zetta's example. Although I coloured the two parts differently, they do belong together. But it's easier for me to do them one after the other.

District target
This part codes the overall district target. It's part of the force's AI behaviour.

00 ## = Destroy Force no. ##
This codes the district to aim to destroy another force. For ## insert the byte of any enemy force. So if you want to take out the green force (likely Liu Bei), insert 01 here.

01 ## = Conquer Area/Region
This codes the district to conquer a specific area. Look at the Force editing post for a list of possible values.

02 ## = Conquer Province
Just as in the force code, you can tell the district to attack a province. For a list, look at the Birthplace part in the Officer editing post.

03 ## = Conquer City/Gate/Port
You can also tell the district to conquer a specific city, gate or port. Zetta's guide has a list values for each city, gate and port.

04 ff = Unaggressive
This code is often seen in Liu Biao's, Liu Zhang's, Gongsun Du's or any additional district of a large force which does not border an enemy force. I think it makes the district slow down.

05 ff = Protect Emperor
Liu Bei uses this code in Dong Zhuo's Rise and Rival Warlords. I have no idea what exactly it does. He does seem defensive at the beginning and drafts many troops. Sometime he'll start to unleash his power and go to conquer the surrounding cities. I don't really see any attempts of Liu Bei trying to get possession of the emperor either.

Specific target
You can tell the district more specific targets here. For example if you choose it to conquer an area, you can tell it to aim for a specific city or so here.

00 ff = Sustain Armaments
District seems to prioritize military affairs (drafting troops, forging weapons, etc. Thus always having a low amount of gold in the city).

01 ff = Sustain Interior Affairs
District seems to prioritize internal affairs (building markets/farms, keeping amount of gold/food high).

02 ff = Assure Human Resources
District seems to focus on employing new officers. Unused in default scenario files.

03 ## = Conquer city
You can tell the district to take a specific city first. Sun Ce in Rival Warlords for example is coded to take the Jiangnan area, but he should go for Jianye first (03 16).

04 ## = Diplomacy
District seems to focus on maintaining relations with a particular force (##). Unused in default scenario files, haven't tested either.

05 ff = Emergent Defense
District seems to focus on building facilities to defend the territory. Unused in default scenario files, haven't tested either.

Thanks to TigerTally for translation. That's it I guess. I'll do the MakeData.s11 file next I think.
Last edited by Lord_Cao_Cao on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby kiko94 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 am

This info is amazing, I guess we could turn Lu Bu to some kind of threat now I guess, you should throw your list of offcier compatibility in the offcier editing part or the upcoming MakeData, it is a nice info to keep around.
My first collection of RTK XI duels (among many to come) here
Duel Collection Number 2 this time in HD
kiko94
Sage

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 am

Turn Lu Bu into a threat? I think he's annoying enough in Rise of Heroes. :lol:
Good idea, I think I'll include the links to the Compatibility List and Zetta's guide in the first post.

On another note, to anyone who knows Chinese. Could you possibly translate the red framed options in the following 3 pictures or at least give some idea on what they mean?
They're the force and district target options. Although we know what most of them do, it would be nice to have some certain confirmation.

Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Well I tried altering Liu Biao's goals. In 190 Liu Yan was rocking 300K+ troops while Liu Biao hovered around 40K. I thought it was his obsession with Xinye, so I tried 194. Liu Zhang is outpacing him but not but such a ridiculous amount. Liu Biao maintained a steady 70K despite conflicts for a while, but Liu Zhang ended up taking Jiangling anyway. And the other major rulers had 100K+. :?

I think I have no choice for X Series but to leave those guys as is with troops and tech, and just let their performance be. Liu Zhang is actually almost perfect - he garrisons many troops on the edges but has a gooey caramel middle. So you break through and then have a big ol' pool party in Chengdu afterward. But Liu Biao, the guy is pretty much always under assault from someone. :|
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bourne Endeavor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Liu Yan/Zhang can get ridiculous if you leave him be for a while. I usually start in Yong Ah and purposely delay expansion for years. In 190, Yan boasted well over 100k in just a few years. He even gave Dong Zhuo some headaches until the talent difference simply overwhelmed him. He may have fared better had I not been around, seeing the AI has an obsession with the player.

Liu Biao, I have never once seen him do well in any file. This was true of different RTK games. Jing Province is horribly open to opposition from everywhere. Back in RTK IX, I tossed a few free officers his way and he still failed. Given his passive nature historically. That does seem logically. Just one of those rulers doomed to failure.
Bourne Endeavor
Apprentice

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:06 am

AHA!

I had a feeling that they'd store data the same way in the PS2 and PC versions..... and it's very close!

In the PS2 version of RoTK11 (at least the version I have -- US/American English/North America/NTSC), officer data is stored in SAN11RES.BIN from 1DA563 to 1F9E12, and force information (at least for the scenario Lord Cao Cao quoted) is stored in SAN11RES.BIN from 2D6B5B to 2D7682.

Force data (at least for the force LCC mentioned) is identical, but there's a minor difference for the Yang Song data. The PS2 version has this:

Y a n g 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 S o n g 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B9 01 00 BA 00 A7 00 D7 00 01 48
06 08 FF FF 01 FF FF FF FF 0D FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
24 00 24 00 06 50 FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 05 1C 22 05 04 04 04 04 04 0A FF 02 00 02
00 00 0D 00 03 00 00 6A 73 74 FF 74 74 FF FF FF FF FF FF 20 00 00 00

Most is the same, but the fourth line is a bit different; whereas LCC has 03 49 FF FF 61 40 1F, I have 06 50 FF FF 00 00 00 instead.

There may be more discrepancies, but we *should* be able to make scenarios for the PS2 version, even for those of us using the original CD!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 am

Well, you have 06 50 for Yang Song because you've probably found his code in the Yellow Turban Rebellion.
There, he is an underaged officer (06) and doesn't have a rank (50). The 00 00 00 part codes loyalty and deeds. Since he doesn't serve anyone because he's underaged, he doesn't have any deeds or loyalty. :wink:
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

Aha! That would explain it! Thanks. :)

It also means there are more chunks of code to search for to get the actual locations. There's a ways to go before I'm as capable of releasing mods for it as I am for Gemfire...
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Wish you good luck. I didn't even know you could edit the PS2 version in the first place. :lol:

Small Officer editing update. Jiangling apparently is part of Jingnan (09) and not Jingbei (08).
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods