DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby HeiYu » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Another guy ran into the TP overflow problem on the FB page. You might make the 0 TP gain version available as an alternate download on your mod's homepage.
OmniMech bumper sticker: Some Assembly Required
HeiYu
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 pm

HeiYu wrote:Another guy ran into the TP overflow problem on the FB page. You might make the 0 TP gain version available as an alternate download on your mod's homepage.

Is it max TP or current TP? I can look into a fix and/or game genie code.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm

MiDKnighT wrote:
HeiYu wrote:Another guy ran into the TP overflow problem on the FB page. You might make the 0 TP gain version available as an alternate download on your mod's homepage.

Is it max TP or current TP? I can look into a fix and/or game genie code.

It's the max TP going over 255 and resetting to zero. Seems to have happened twice from what I've seen. A strange behavior...when I look at the code and how its supposed to work, its seems very unlikely someone would be so lucky (unlucky) to always get the max TP gain every level. I was planning to lower the TP/level in my next version to address the issue. Currently it is 4, 5, or 6 TP per level. I think reducing it to 3, 4 or 5 should solve it. And then I'll have to reduce TP costs of tactics accordingly.

Did you finish the second play through btw?
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 am

What you are running into there is an 8-bit integer overflow. The best solution is to ensure the TP distribution does not allow for the max TP to climb above 255 in a play-through.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Boneduke » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 am

I want to introduce a couple more INT type of generals into the next version - give a bit more variety in terms of party formation. Anyone have any suggestions about the following candidates, or others that might make sense to include?

Cheng Yu (similar to Xun Yu, he would join the party for a certain amount of time and then leave - maybe in total for 3 chapters or so, just have to decide at what point to have him join and leave - maybe around the time Xun Yu leaves?)
Liu Ye
Man Chong
Yang Xiu (he could be quite strong/useful, and I could incorporate an event where Cao Cao executes him for insolence, which would add some story flavor)
Hao Zhao (not really an INT kind of general from my understanding, but could still fit the bill)

Other ideas?
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby HeiYu » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Cheng Yu would be a good choice, as he's already present and I spent the first several chapters expecting him to join anyway.
What about Guo Yi? He might be a good mid-late replacement for Guo Jia. Liu Ye would also be a great choice.
HeiYu
Tyro

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:05 am

My current thought with Cheng Yu is to have him to join at Xiangyang, which is shortly before Xun Yu leaves. I think he would be the same profile as Guo Jia (offensive damage). I like the current design of the player having to deal with the loss of a healer general for the Jianye and Hanzhong chapters. Or potentially make a new profile for Cheng Yu where he has both dmg-all and heal-all tactics, but they are weaker than both Guo Jia's and Xun Yu's are...that might work.

And then have him leave around Hanzhong or Yiling, where shortly thereafter the player can get Xu Shu.

Liu Ye I think I could have join at pretty much any time. He'd probably just have the same profile as Chen Qun and Bao Xin.

Will read up on Guo Yi. Could be an interesting option. Especially given the kind of surprise at the end when you get to Luoyang and Guo Jia is still alive.
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby HeiYu » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Wasn't Cheng Yu known for his arrogance? It would be kind of amusing / irritating for the player if shortly before he joins he talks himself up how powerful he is...then like you were thinking he can both mass heal and harm, but not as strongly as others.

As for Liu Ye, I remember him most as the Wei version of Lu Su. He didn't contribute so much by his own actions as by recommending excellent officers. He's make a good gateway general to better generals. Man Chong and Lu Qian I believe, and Man Chong was on your list of possible additions too.
HeiYu
Tyro

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 am

What you are running into there is an 8-bit integer overflow. The best solution is to ensure the TP distribution does not allow for the max TP to climb above 255 in a play-through.

Keep in mind, that if the player exceeds level 50 via scripted events (I forget if you have any) this may also cause an overflow issue. Fixing TP gains can also fix this 5x50 lvls=250tp if there is 51lvls max=255 if 52 levels, max tp gains should be set at 4.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods