DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

So I did some playtesting on my phone on a flight across the country. I'm guessing I'm about half way through. My (mostly) spoiler free feedback thus far:

* Love all the map, town, and cave designs. That 3 way cave is genius! :D
    * So far the mod is very polished. High quality stuff. A couple of good jokes in there too.
    * The first strategist type officer...I think he had a fire tactic then it was replaced by protect? Was that intentional?
    * The economics are pretty brutal. I find myself using most of my money on food and can never afford the latest and greatest weapons and armor.
    * That said I had just purchased some equipment and a character left me. I didn't get a new character for a while so that 6th general backpack was gone. :cry:
    * Bug that we need to look into eventually: When you level up the TP points gained message is off.
    * Bug that we need to look into eventually: Only in one boss fight the main bad guy hit himself and his own guys at times for no reason.
    * I never found a certain replacement character after a certain character died. I could open up DoaEditor and find him I guess :P (cheating)
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm

MiDKnighT wrote:So I did some playtesting on my phone on a flight across the country. I'm guessing I'm about half way through. My (mostly) spoiler free feedback thus far:

* Love all the map, town, and cave designs. That 3 way cave is genius! :D
    * So far the mod is very polished. High quality stuff. A couple of good jokes in there too.
    * The first strategist type officer...I think he had a fire tactic then it was replaced by protect? Was that intentional?
    * The economics are pretty brutal. I find myself using most of my money on food and can never afford the latest and greatest weapons and armor.
    * That said I had just purchased some equipment and a character left me. I didn't get a new character for a while so that 6th general backpack was gone. :cry:
    * Bug that we need to look into eventually: When you level up the TP points gained message is off.
    * Bug that we need to look into eventually: Only in one boss fight the main bad guy hit himself and his own guys at times for no reason.
    * I never found a certain replacement character after a certain character died. I could open up DoaEditor and find him I guess :P (cheating)

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for giving it a playthrough. I think the version you have, it should be possible to get more or less to the end, although the final few battles may not be very well balanced.

>> Love all the map, town, and cave designs. That 3 way cave is genius! :D

Thanks! Yeah really happy with how that turned out. I was trying to come up with a creative way to make it easy to get back to the starting area, but also prevent the player from advancing east too early. And wait til you see how to get to the treasure chest thats in there... :) (although its currently empty, need your help to move that one from its original location hehe)

>> A couple of good jokes in there too.

DOAE definitely has its own unique sense of humor!

>> The economics are pretty brutal. I find myself using most of my money on food and can never afford the latest and greatest weapons and armor.

The activity of balancing itself has been really brutal. I'm really trying to make food a meaningful mechanic in this ROM as I'm sure you can tell. It was such a pointless element in the original. It would be helpful to let me know in a PM exactly where you tended to run out of food. In my playtesting I think food is less of an issue because I know exactly where to go/don't need to wander around the map, wasting provisions etc.

>> Bug that we need to look into eventually: When you level up the TP points gained message is off.

Yes it seems to have arbitrarily...from what I can tell its just cosmetic/doesn't seem to affect your actual total/available TPs. Nonetheless annoying.

>> * Bug that we need to look into eventually: Only in one boss fight the main bad guy hit himself and his own guys at times for no reason.

I've run into this in a couple of places. I did read in the past it was a bug others had encountered too, so figured its a difficult one to fix. In my playtesting I didn't find it totally game-breaking, just considered it the player getting lucky (since a lot of DOAE fights do tend to come down to luck of what the enemy generals do). But would definitely be nice to sort that one out some day.

Will send you a PM on the other points.

Thanks again for giving it a try! Really looking forward to feedback on the remainder.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Random question

Based on what you know of tactics, do you think its possible to make Ji Mian and Ce Mian single target? I see it is possible in DOAEditor to make them single target, but when cast they effect all enemy generals nonetheless. I'm trying to avoid having tactics in the game that you just always use by default - I think if these were single target they'd be much more strategic in nature.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 am

Boneduke wrote:Random question

Based on what you know of tactics, do you think its possible to make Ji Mian and Ce Mian single target? I see it is possible in DOAEditor to make them single target, but when cast they effect all enemy generals nonetheless. I'm trying to avoid having tactics in the game that you just always use by default - I think if these were single target they'd be much more strategic in nature.

In it's current form it's all or none unless I'm forgetting some tactic enhancement I wrote way back. Pretty sure it's all or none though based on the status it keeps in memory.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Its more important to have a healthy use of Jie Ce aka "Negate" to counter tactics so having too many solo targeting spells can make it a HUGE pain if you buff everyone up single target only to have everything negated in the end, so keep that in mind. I don't remember ever using Jie Ce in the original DOAE, but liked how it become almost necessity in big boss battles in the mods.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:Its more important to have a healthy use of Jie Ce aka "Negate" to counter tactics so having too many solo targeting spells can make it a HUGE pain if you buff everyone up single target only to have everything negated in the end, so keep that in mind. I don't remember ever using Jie Ce in the original DOAE, but liked how it become almost necessity in big boss battles in the mods.

Hmm good point - gotta keep Negate in mind.

Similarly I'm struggling with how to handle Guard. I feel like if I make it affect the entire party, due to enemy AP it will probably be mandatory to use every battle - making the general who can cast it mandatory to have in the party at all times, and in turn meaning I should balance battles assuming that its being used. In which case, whats the point - might as well get rid of it altogether and make the battles easier again. On the other hand if its single target, then I feel like it can be more strategic - e.g. worth using on your strategist, but probably not worth the time to cast on everything. This kind of thing.

In theory should have the same issue with Protect, but it doesnt seem as potent - seems to reduce tactic damage by 25-35% at best, whereas Guard in my testing is much more noticeable.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

There are a few options:
1. Single target is an option, albeit, a pain.
2. Make Guard cost an exhorbitant amount of TP that cannot be regenerated in more than 1-2 turns if you have the TP regen mod implemented.
3. Only introduce tactics when you have means to defend/counter them. IE; high powered tactics only when you have the means to reduce their damage by half or negate gets introuced around the same time you introduce guard.
4. Create classes of characters where the class that has guard also has negate in the TP list.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:There are a few options:
1. Single target is an option, albeit, a pain.
2. Make Guard cost an exhorbitant amount of TP that cannot be regenerated in more than 1-2 turns if you have the TP regen mod implemented.
3. Only introduce tactics when you have means to defend/counter them. IE; high powered tactics only when you have the means to reduce their damage by half or negate gets introuced around the same time you introduce guard.
4. Create classes of characters where the class that has guard also has negate in the TP list.

My original plan was to have a version of Guard that was single target (acquired say lv15) and then a version that was target-all (maybe lv35). Unfortuntaely while in the current build there is some tactics that have both a single and all target variant (stun, confuse, rally, an sha etc) guard is not one of them. I think that would be the ideal state.

I think I'll look at making Negate more prominent in battle. In general that seems like it will address a few issues I have with several tactics.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Fixed a billeting bug with the officer leave event. If the officer that's leaving is in billeting it will tell you your billeting is full when it shouldn't be.

Billeting prior to officer leaving:

0A3852B1B90000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (B9 = officer)

Billeting after officer leaving:

0A3852B1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000071

So an extra 71 is being written into the last slot which is making it think billeting is full.

Looks like it is because my officer leave logic is copying one too many values to move officers in billeting.

Fix:

0xF409A: "41" --> "3F"

Updated ROM Hacking guide and my local IPS ROM for next DoaEditor update (whenever that is).
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:20 pm

There was a need for this so added it to the RH guide:

I found where to change the Silver Key price.

0x367D8: A9 A0 85 10 A9 0F 85 11

The price is 4000 which in hex is FA0. So if I wanted to make the price say… 12,000 which is 2EE0 in hex I would change it to:

0x367D8: A9 E0 85 10 A9 2E 85 11

Of course you'd need to change the text in DoaEditor but this is the amount it will take from you wallet when you purchase the key.
MiDKnighT
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods