DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby Boneduke » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm

wk123 wrote:That is a nice looking Wei team you got there!

I'm getting started now on balancing and I can see it will be one of the tougher aspects of creating this mod - keeping the game challenging and the party not overpowered. I'm trying to stay true to the timeline, but it means getting access to pretty powerful generals early on in the game. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the comment :)
Boneduke
Apprentice

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:54 pm

This mod looks promising. Keep on it.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby wk123 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Boneduke wrote:
wk123 wrote:That is a nice looking Wei team you got there!

I'm getting started now on balancing and I can see it will be one of the tougher aspects of creating this mod - keeping the game challenging and the party not overpowered. I'm trying to stay true to the timeline, but it means getting access to pretty powerful generals early on in the game. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the comment :)
At least you didn't replace Yue Jin and Zang Ba with Dian Wei and Xu Huang!

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
wk123
Tyro

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:This mod looks promising. Keep on it.

Can't wait to get some feedback! Especially from you "old masters" hehe, I really enjoyed the Rise of Lu Bu and Flames of Wu mods!

I think I will have a preliminary release ready in 2 months or so, if anyone is interesting in play testing an early copy. Working now on balancing weapons, armor, tactics, battles, and generals. It's kind of slow going and certainly not the most fun part of making the mod.

Here's a few more screenshots!

The battle for Chang'An is our first run-in with Jia Xu...

One of the big appeals for me about DOAE is the art style of the original portraits. I first played this game I guess 30 years ago on the NES and when I rediscovered it so much later, the portraits were what I remembered most. So not that I have the artistic talent to create new portraits from scratch anyway, but in the mod I'll be keeping the traditional art style and repurposing from DOAE, DOAE2 etc with some minor Photoshopping to change background, expressions etc. Here we have long hair Cao Cao, who may or may not get a bit of a trim to his stats lol.

The boastful Du Yu provides an example of some of the Photoshop work I'm doing to repurpose original portraits... DOAE1 Lu Bu got a hair cut and a different sneer. I really enjoyed going through the Romance of the Three Kingdoms text to look for dialog and battle taunts hehe.

One more screenshot from the field. This is Jieting.

Thanks again for the comments!
Boneduke
Apprentice

Unread postby wk123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Boneduke wrote:
sonic.penguin wrote:This mod looks promising. Keep on it.

Can't wait to get some feedback! Especially from you "old masters" hehe, I really enjoyed the Rise of Lu Bu and Flames of Wu mods!

I think I will have a preliminary release ready in 2 months or so, if anyone is interesting in play testing an early copy. Working now on balancing weapons, armor, tactics, battles, and generals. It's kind of slow going and certainly not the most fun part of making the mod.

Here's a few more screenshots!

The battle for Chang'An is our first run-in with Jia Xu...

One of the big appeals for me about DOAE is the art style of the original portraits. I first played this game I guess 30 years ago on the NES and when I rediscovered it so much later, the portraits were what I remembered most. So not that I have the artistic talent to create new portraits from scratch anyway, but in the mod I'll be keeping the traditional art style and repurposing from DOAE, DOAE2 etc with some minor Photoshopping to change background, expressions etc. Here we have long hair Cao Cao, who may or may not get a bit of a trim to his stats lol.

The boastful Du Yu provides an example of some of the Photoshop work I'm doing to repurpose original portraits... DOAE1 Lu Bu got a hair cut and a different sneer. I really enjoyed going through the Romance of the Three Kingdoms text to look for dialog and battle taunts hehe.

One more screenshot from the field. This is Jieting.

Thanks again for the comments!
Amazing!

Please keep Lord Cao's stats, he's a powerhouse!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
wk123
Tyro

Unread postby Boneduke » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Question with regards to the agility based multi attacks.

I have followed the details here: http://doaerhguide.wikidot.com/#toc38 in order to both eliminate agility based multi attacks altogether, or to limit the bonus to 1 additional attack per general. However none of that seems to take. I compare the relevant sections of my ROM to whats in the guide, im a hex editor, and everything seems to line up.

But I'm trying to balance battles at the moment, and its dificult when everyone is getting in more hits than I ultimately want them to. I dont mind the agility based multi attacks feature, but I find against rebels etc it is way too overpowered (everyone in the party hits 5-6 times per round). So I prefer to remove it altogether, or limit it to 1 attack per (but in that case I'd like to pretty much make it impossible to get a second attack when facing someone with equal or greater agility to you).

I think my ROM is based off the DOAE 2.0 Cao Cao variant. Not entirely sure to be honest, when I started this mod I was just messing around - didn't pay attention to what ROM I based it on - just went to it. I guess my questions is - is it possible to assess from looking at the ROM, what is the state of the agility based multi attacks feature, and if so - determine why the adjustments like

3. To remove the Random Agility check, and use this edit simply for expanded item checking:
Change 0x2f23f-0x2f241 to "4cd7b2"

Dont seem to work?
Boneduke
Apprentice

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Did some more experimenting with the IPS patches and agility based multi attack feature.

It seems that when Patch 1.1 is added to a fresh ROM, this configuration

3. To remove the Random Agility check, and use this edit simply for expanded item checking:
Change 0x2f23f-0x2f241 to "4cd7b2"

Does work.

But once I apply patch 1.2 to the same ROM, the multi-attacks feature is activated again (although the above edit remains in the ROM, doesnt seem to have effect anymore).

Out of curiosity I might try applying all the 1.2 enhancements manually in order to pinpoint exactly what causes the behavior.
Boneduke
Apprentice

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:14 pm

First of all, your "5 tiger generals" should have agility that grows based on the chapter. I believe Chapter 6 has the highest agility bonus. Keep in mind, anything above I believe 120 AGI will roll around back to 0 if it exceeds 255 for the 5 tiger generals hex id's. Limiting AGI for early generals is very important so that they don't hit 3-5 times or even get hit 3-5 times, unless you severly tone down enemy AP or your generals STR to <50

Agility-based attacks is a great addition and I would prefer it if you kept it as it adds the "random" element to many battles, but you can also beef that up by changing the % of critical hits OR multipliers, Upping both makes it insane. What you should really focus on is not giving Chapter 1 officers friend or foe, more than 100 agility.

If you wanted more portraits, DOAEditor should have a library included in it as well unless you want to spend eternity doing your own unique ones.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:48 pm

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the feedback! I'll take another pass over the AGI scores for everything I've play tested so far and see if I cant find a better balance. Definitely I need to buff up my Rebels and other random forces. I don't want them to be as strong as I've seen in other mods (I like the idea of them being relative pushovers...but at the same time, not getting pounded 25-30 times per round hehe).

Yes I've borrowed a couple portraits from the DOAE library - would definitely like to add mine to that when I finish up the mod.

By the way, looks like whoever had the photobucket account that stored all the images used on the DOAE wiki, the account has expired or something because all the embedded images are broken. If someone has copies of them and can send them to me, I can re-host and update the references in the wiki. In particular I'd love to see the image that showed how DOAE2 sprites align to DOAE sprites.

Again, thanks a lot for the comments!
Boneduke
Apprentice

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only person to post a question about using Feidian hehe. I want to add some sprites to my ROM (dont think this is possible via DOAEditor) So in general, I'm pretty ok with computers, comfortable with command line stuff etc - but before I spent any more time bangin away at this figured I'd check in to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Have php, feidian downloaded, extracted to same directory
Rename php-ini.production file to php.ini
Got ahold of nes8.php template, put in the /tiles subdirectory
From in the php directory > "php feidian.php -cr nes8,1,1008,0x00090 destiny.nes output.bmp"

Before renaming the ini file all I get is

,—————————————————————————.
| FEIDIAN: The Freaking Easy, Indispensible, Dot-Image formAt coNverter |
| Version 0.90a (C)Derrick Sobodash 2003,2004 |
‘—————————————————————————’

After rename the ini file, it basically just spits out the source for the application (e.g. same the contents of feidian.php), doesnt seem to be parsing it at all

Did some googling, found a suggestion that "short tags" should be avoided. Changed <? to <?php at the beginning of feidian.php file. However still doesnt seem to be running properly - just spits out even more source code than what is found in feidian.php. Kinda stumped.

Am I missing some step in the installation?
Boneduke
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods