4/15/09: Pinyin vs. Wade-Giles Officer Reference Chart

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

4/15/09: Pinyin vs. Wade-Giles Officer Reference Chart

Unread postby James » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:59 am

A fellow named Nate wrote in to ask if we have a reference that will allow the cross-reference lookup of Wade-Giles and Pinyin variations of officer names. It actually struck me as strange that I never put something like this together given our database already supports it and it is a common question asked by people who decide to read a Wade-Giles version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I took a moment out of my evening to toss a reference for this purpose together: introducing our new Pinyin to Wade-Giles Officer Name Reference Chart. Searching isn’t perfect as only Pinyin is supported and reliable Wade-Giles support would be time consuming to add, but this alone should help to ease the process of re-learning familiar officer and character names.

Anybody interested in Wade-Giles Romanization can also learn a great deal from Lady Wu’s Introduction to Wade-Giles Romanization. Additionally, our Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia also lists Wade-Giles names for the 2,000+ officers that have been entered.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to KMA News