2/12/08: Legend of Cao Cao English Revision Available!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Re: 2/12/08: Legend of Cao Cao English Revision Available!

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Cool. I'll try to get in touch with you when I've got a moment to breathe so I know what changes need to be made. About one week from now I'll be (hopefully) driving a U-Haul across the salt flats into Salt Lake City. This is preferable to the alternatives of grumbling in a hotel room waiting for the canyon near Sacramento to be re-opened or to crawling out of the burning remnants of my former possessions at a canyon floor! I hope for the best! :pika:

For future reference you're more than welcome to use zip over rar (though it probably wouldn't be worth trickling it uphill again onto the server). An 8% savings in bandwidth is considerable, but zip is far more accessible to people than rar, so there are worthwhile benefits to sticking to the most familiar (and natively supported) archive format. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Yeah, I know you're busy with moving. I just like to harass you. :huohu:

Waiting for canyons to reopen is not fun. Once when I was driving all my stuff from Canada to California I almost had to spend the night on a gym floor waiting for the Siskiyou Pass to open, but fortunately caught a small window in the snow, grabbed some tire chains, and made it through.

How long is your route going to take?

I did consider putting up the .zip because it's easier for people to handle. I just wasn't sure if the bandwidth thing is ok with you. If you don't mind I'll stick the .zip up when I'm sitting around the house later today. (Btw, I meant funnel, not tunnel...)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Waiting for canyons to reopen is not fun. Once when I was driving all my stuff from Canada to California I almost had to spend the night on a gym floor waiting for the Siskiyou Pass to open, but fortunately caught a small window in the snow, grabbed some tire chains, and made it through.

Oh please let me get through this without dealing with chains and a U-Haul... :|

Lady Wu wrote:How long is your route going to take?

It would normally take around thirteen hours (driving). It is going to take at least seventeen, assuming circumstances don't force an overnight stay in a hotel somewhere along the route. I hope that if we do spend the night somewhere, it is on the roadside in the U-Haul itself. I'm a traditional American. I desire to protect my belongings with a gun. :devil:

Lady Wu wrote:I did consider putting up the .zip because it's easier for people to handle. I just wasn't sure if the bandwidth thing is ok with you. If you don't mind I'll stick the .zip up when I'm sitting around the house later today. (Btw, I meant funnel, not tunnel...)

My host gives me more grief about the number of 'nodes' I use. A 'node' is a file, and supposedly I have to keep the number of 'nodes' on the server below 250,000 (including emails and server files). That is one of the most random and unexpected rules I have ever come across in web hosting.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:44 pm

James wrote:My host gives me more grief about the number of 'nodes' I use. A 'node' is a file, and supposedly I have to keep the number of 'nodes' on the server below 250,000 (including emails and server files). That is one of the most random and unexpected rules I have ever come across in web hosting.

Wha?!

So would it be helpful if I cleared out old files in my directory?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Lady Wu wrote:So would it be helpful if I cleared out old files in my directory?

How many files are you using? It only matters if you can make a difference which matters when weighed against a number like 250,000. If you're only dealing with a few hundred files it hardly registers in the grand scheme of things.

It is helpful if you manage it well, but it isn't something worth losing a moment's sleep over. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Fine fine fine. I uploaded the zip file (LoCC.zip). I'll keep the .rar there until you have time to fix up the LoCC page on KMA. :)
Lady Wu

Previous

Return to KMA News