12/14/07: Introducing Legend of Cao Cao!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

12/14/07: Introducing Legend of Cao Cao!

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:59 am

With all the time we’ve spent focusing on older gems such as Destiny of an Emperor it is a wonder that we haven’t properly introduced Koei’s Legends series to you. While none of these five games—Legend of Heroes, Legend of Kongming, Legend of Mori Motonari, Legend of Oda Nobunaga, Legend of Cao Cao—were ever released in English, some of them have very large followings overseas in Asia. Today I’m going to introduce Legend of Cao Cao, perhaps the most successful and the most loved game in the entire series, and also, unfortunately, the last.

Legend of Cao Cao plays like Fire Emblem, which may be more familiar to a western audience. In battle your units are deployed on a grid. You and one (or more) opposing faction take turns giving orders. Each unit can be given certain tasks (use an item, cast a spell, attack), and through these actions you strive to defeat the opposing side. After each round it is possible that storyline events may take place, introducing new threats or units, and during battle duels, double-strikes, and critical hits may also take place.

Legend of Cao Cao is extremely difficult to purchase in an English market as, to the best of our knowledge, no retailer makes it available. You cannot import it through Koei. Check back with us later on this. That said, if you do have it, or have access to it, you’re in luck—<a href="http://the-scholars.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=304">Lady Wu</a> has been working for months to <a href="http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=18359">translate the entire game into English</a>! She has already finished a beta release of her patch, which you can read more about and download at our forum, <a href="http://the-scholars.com/">Scholars of Shen Zhou</a>.

We’ll talk more about Legend of Cao Cao in months to come, and we’ll offer new goodies to compliment your new old-school adventure. For now, we usher the game in with a new addition: the <a href="http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/">Legend of Cao Cao Home Page</a>, currently supplied with <a href="http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/#releases_links">handy community links</a>, <a href="http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/screenshots/">English-patched Windows screenshots</a>, and a <a href="http://kongming.net/legend_of_cao_cao/#faqs">game-guide by Taishi Ci 2.0</a>. Check back for more later!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:21 am

Nice, a Legends section at last. Although, I don't think I've heard of Legend of Oda Nobunaga before... And does Legend of Zhao Yun not go in this category?

I should fix up that guide now, actually. I have most of the terms as things I made up and I need to make them match up with the translation.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:27 am

I got the list of Legend games from Lady Wu.
She knows much more about these things than I do!

Legend of Zhao Yun—is that the game which was supposed to be some sort of dungeon crawler? Tell me more about it! Was it released by Koei? I hadn’t heard much about the Japan-based Legends games prior to Lady Wu telling me about them either.

That’s a pretty good idea—updating your guide to match the terminology in Lady Wu’s translation. It would still be just as applicable to the original version as well. In any case, it is all online, now, and ready for updating whenever you change it around.

Here’s a hint: edit your guide in a program like Notepad using a monospace font (Courtier, Courtier New, Monaco). That way you can see how all the spacing will line up on a site like Kongming’s Archives or GameFAQs. If you were to submit to another site you would normally also have to handle your word-wrapping, but Kongming’s Archives does that automatically if you do not (as you can see in the guide), so there’s no huge reason for concern there.

By the way, if you have ideas for other sections to add, let me know. I’m going to start adding your sub-sections (tactics, items, etc.) as time passes, too. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am

From what I know, Legend of Zhao Yun is like a Diablo clone, and you're Zhao Yun. I think the main villain is actually Xiahou Mao! I don't know if it's a KOEI game though. There might be some info on it on here if you want to search the forum.

I wrote that guide before I started writing without Word Wrap on, so that's why it ended up like that. I'll see if I can give you a better version soon.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby xiaoxiannu » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:12 am

Nice game for RTK fan.. :lol:
Anyway..where is the link to download that game and english patch ?
And how big is the size of complete download of this game ?
:P
Another follower of Sleeping Dragon
xiaoxiannu
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:22 am

I think I played Legend of Kongming before... My friend had the game. This was way back when though.

What I remember about it is that there are some really weird units in the game, and there were some units that were way more useful than others. Liu Feng for instance phailed in comparison to Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, etc.

Also, some battles were really hard. Like, this one battle against Liu Zhang was near impossible...

I didn't really understand how the tactics worked either. I seem to remember there being like 4 different kinds of tactics. Fire, boulder...and some other ones...maybe like wind and water.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:49 am

Legend of Zhao Yun was not made by Koei. All of the Koei Legend games are turn-based strategy (ok, I can only speak for Heroes, Kongming, and Cao Cao, since I haven't played---or seen---Mori or Oda). Legend of Zhao Yun is indeed a Diablo clone (with Xiahou Mao as the main boss).

I don't remember the Legend of Kongming Liu Zhang battle (in fact, the only LoKM battle I remember at all is Wuzhang Plains), but I remember the Legend of Heroes version. A bunch of Liu Zhang's officers would defect and join you if Liu Bei moves right next to them. But some wouldn't join you if they take damage. I remember spending many hours trying to figure out which one is which... :?

I will release an updated version of the beta in a couple of days, whenever my sister finishes the game. I found quite a few typos by watching her play---since she didn't really know anything about the three kingdoms and had never played anything similar before, she tended to do a lot of things in the game that I would never think of doing, and that revealed typos that I wouldn't find by myself. And since I wasn't the one clicking the mouse and making decisions, I could focus on proofreading a lot more... :?

PS: The "home" link under "Legend of Cao Cao" in the right-hand panel still points to http://www.kongming.net/doae/ .
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:51 pm

I have played this game today on the ZSNESW emulator sadly it is Japanese and no English release ............

Looks good though not as much as the PC version .
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:02 pm

That's actually Legend of Heroes, an older game based on Shu.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:That's actually Legend of Heroes, an older game based on Shu.

Oh it is my bad then ......

I just want to ask you tachi how can people mod this game ??what programme do they use ?
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to KMA News