12/14/07: Introducing Legend of Cao Cao!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 am

Just added Legend of Kongming (GBA), Legend of Heroes (GBA), and Legend of Heroes (SNES) to the downloads page. Looks like Koei loves to remake these games on all sorts of platforms. I saw downloads for things like Sega Saturn (200 MBs) and other titles while I was searching for these.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Thank you Lady Wu for translating this. I played Legend of Kongming but didn't understand it. This legend game is much more fun now that I know what's actually happening. >_>

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

I don't think I'll ever make a patch for Heroes, just because I have no idea how to access the script (wonder if it's different because it's a DOS game). I was dissecting the files today, but couldn't even figure out what controls who says what in which level... :( LoKM might be easier because there is a Windows version, but I couldn't get mine to work on WinXP (I suppose I could try booting up my Win98 machine... gah!).

That's pretty crazy that LoH has both a GBA and a SNES port. Did the Windows LoH really only come out in 1995? I was in university in 1996, but LoH seems like part of my childhood to me... I can't believe it was only 12 years ago. It's such a sweet game. Wish they made a Windows port... :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:00 pm

James wrote:Just added Legend of Kongming (GBA), Legend of Heroes (GBA), and Legend of Heroes (SNES) to the downloads page. Looks like Koei loves to remake these games on all sorts of platforms. I saw downloads for things like Sega Saturn (200 MBs) and other titles while I was searching for these.
I played Legend of Heroes... too hard in my opinion, too little talents too... Legend of Kongming was hard in the later stages, Zhuge Liang was a God in the beginning of the game...
Oh yeah Lady wu thank you for translating this. I like it better than Legend of Kongming and Liu Bei.

Sun Jian can you send me the ISO (pm) ? I was searching for it?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:07 am

I think LoH is a fine game for its time. I love the maps and the unit design---nothing in LoKM nor LoCC can match the masochistic delight that is the battle of Yiling (not only is it hard, but it's interestingly hard due to the layout of the map). You also get to experience how hard it is to be Liu Bei in the early part of his career (a wrong answer to Yuan Shao or Cao Cao could mean Game Over, and that stage where Guo Tu chases after you is pretty evil). I don't think I felt as in-character when I played LoKM or LoCC. Another thing that adds to replay value is the huge roster of characters, and the "hidden events" that let you recruit different characters by triggering certain events in the battles.

The main downfall of the game is its complexity. It feels like the developers were so excited about making the game that they just threw in all the RPG/Turn-based Strategy components they could think of. What I have in mind are the ability to change unit class (I had Wei Yan as a marching band once in order to gain level, hohoho), damage-inflicting items (Scroll of Fire, Bombs, etc.), an overly-huge roster (the Shu guys are nice, but seriously, who would use the Wu guys? And it's so random that Lu Xun would just assign Ding Feng, Xu Sheng, etc. to you after beating the crap out of you. And who on earth would use LIU SHAN anyway?), and fictional characters/stories (Li Ming, the sole female character in your ranks, is also the sole Tiger Tamer). While any one of those can be nice in a game, the combination of them makes pre-battle management a huge headache---far too many items to keep track of when they're spread out among 50 (yes, 50!) officers!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:10 am

Those Legend of Heroes screenshots look a lot like Shining Force... maybe it's just because I have Shining Force on the brain.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 am

Shadowlink wrote:
Shadowlink wrote:Sun Jian can you send me the ISO (pm) ? I was searching for it?

Can ypu please tell what ISO you need I am confused :roll:
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:49 am

Playing LoKM now. Chances of a patch are slim. Its file structure looks like that of LoH, and feels basically like a Windows port of a DOS game. And the character limit seems unforgiving---even in the original game, Jinhuan Sanjie is renamed as Jinhuan Jie because it can only accommodate 3 Chinese characters. :roll:

In terms of gameplay, LoKM is similar to LoH. It is a much easier game, though, especially since there are three difficulty settings, and experience points are ridiculously easy to get. Gone is the ability to switch unit class, and the roster is far more reasonable. My main complaint, though, is that the easiness of this game renders non-mounted units basically useless (since it's so much faster and funner to have Zhao Yun charge into the enemy ranks, and he's invincible). A bunch of the more useful generals you have at the beginning of the game die off after the first chapter, and the rest of the staff you begin with (like the transport/band units, and that fool MA SU) is practically useless.

On the good side, the script is well-written, and the Chinese translation is actually much better than that of LoH or LoCC (probably because a lot of the script is taken from the novel, and the parts involving Zhuge Liang are arguably the most well-written parts in the novel). The Nanman units are also really fun.

In comparison, LoCC really was a giant leap forward...
Lady Wu

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:52 am

I played the Gameboy (I think Advanced) version of Legend of Kong Ming.

In it, when two units did battle with one another, it didn't just show one sprite whacking the other. Instead, the battles looked like this:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0411/san12.jpg

In my opinion, it was a lot cooler that way...
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:35 pm

SlickSlicer wrote:I played the Gameboy (I think Advanced) version of Legend of Kong Ming.

In it, when two units did battle with one another, it didn't just show one sprite whacking the other. Instead, the battles looked like this:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0411/san12.jpg

In my opinion, it was a lot cooler that way...

The link 403'ed on me. :(

Yeah, the attacks in LoKM are kinda primitive. I think both LoH and LoCC played a lot smoother.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:36 am

Oops, I posted a bad link.

Here's a better one;

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0411/game041127d.shtml

Second picture from the top shows what battles were like.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to KMA News