7/6/07: Adrian's Ancient Chinese Coins

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 pm

The fire sale continues:

- Western Han 'Elm Seed' Ban Liang. Crude but with some very pretty blue patina on the reverse

- a lot of three Wang Mang/Xin Dynasty Huo Quan coins, two of the smaller variety, one of the normal size. Two pieces have blobs or 'stars' on the obverse. Unlike the Western Han, Wang Mang was a cheapass and used more lead and tin than copper, resulting in a nifty gold-tone. Very sharp calligraphy, in the 'suspended needle' style

- a 3K/Shu-Han Tai Ping Bai Qian with an abbreviated form of the Tai character. This is an intermediate size, smaller than the large-type but larger than 'goose eye' specimens that have been found

- another Western Han Wu Zhu with 'four horns' radiating from the obverse hole, and having the 'Shuiyin Gu' patina

- a lot of 5 Eastern Han Wu Zhu, two with 'half-stars' above the hole on the obverse, one regular type, one well-wornspecimen with the character Xiao carved incusely beneath the hole on the obverse, and one with a short bar above the hole on the obverse.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:10 pm

As the never-ceasing flow of announcements continues, there is one, last coin that has been added:

- a 'Deng Tong' Ban Liang from Western Han, c. 175-119 B.C. Deng Tong was a wealthy and powerful merchant that lived in the Shu region/Yi Province, and for some reason or another he was granted permission from the emperor to cast his own private-issue 4-zhu type Ban Liang. To distinguish them from the other issues, Deng marked the obverse of his coins with a big, thick bar both above the hole and below it.

And that's probably it. the link can be found in any of the posts above.

Thanks,
Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Although about 80% of my stock sells during any given period of activity there are always a few items that don't sell right away. The few items not to sell from the last few postings have been relisted, so why not have a look?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarterslade

P.S. to James: Still not selling that gigantic Huo quan, though. :P

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Liu Yuante wrote:P.S. to James: Still not selling that gigantic Huo quan, though. :P

If you do, let me know. :devil:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re:

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 am

James wrote:
Liu Yuante wrote:P.S. to James: Still not selling that gigantic Huo quan, though. :P

If you do, let me know. :devil:

Ask and ye shall receive...eventually.

Due to a pressing need to get some additional funds, I have listed more of my coins on eBay, including several I had previously been unwilling to part with, including some 3K items. The items up for sale are:

- a Da Quan Wu Bai coin of the Kingdom of Wu. These coins were first cast under Sun Quan in 238 A.D.
- a Tai Ping Bai Qian coin with the coveted Stars and Water Waves reverse, cast by Shu-Han under either Liu Bei or Liu Shan
- the aforementioned super fat and heavy 'Bing' or Biscuit Huo Quan
- a Western Han Wu Zhu from the first casting of Wu Zhu coins, with unfiled rims and lots of extraneous metal
- a Da Quan Wu Shi of Wang Mang's Xin Dynasty with a double outer rim, some nifty purplish-green patina and cast from a stone mold rather than the usual clay mold
- a large Western Han Ban Liang coin with neat blue patina in a few spots and purple crystals growing on the reverse
- an Eastern Han Wu Zhu with 4 'rays' on the reverse, one of the few coins dateable to a specific year, in this case the 3rd year of Zhongping, 186 A.D., under Emperor Ling just before all hell broke loose
- a Warring States Ban Liang, from the State of Qin

You can find them all, with pictures, prices and descriptions, at:

Thanks for looking!

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Re: 7/6/07: Adrian's Ancient Chinese Coins

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 am

Wonderful! :D

You may have already answered this question, but do you send the coins' information with them?
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Shu Ryorin wrote:Wonderful! :D

You may have already answered this question, but do you send the coins' information with them?

Not usually, no, most of the people who buy them are collectors. However I have a website:

www.geocities.com/belewfripp/ancientchina.html which has detailed information on every coin I've owned. It includes scans so you can actually match a coin that's on sale with its description on my site. If you want any other detailed info on a particular coin or whatnot, let me know.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Four new listings are up:

- a very heavy and large Zhi Bai Wu Zhu cast by Shu-Han during the Three Kingdoms period, c. 221-263 A.D. Most of these are between 3-7 grams in weight but this one is 10.1 grams and 29 mm in diameter. I've only seen a handful of others that come near or meet this size on these.

- a Yi Hua coin w/Ji character reverse from the State of Yan in the Warring States period, cast from lead.

- a Ban Liang coin of the Deng Tong variety - Deng Tong was a favorite courtier of Emperor Wen of Western Han and was granted casting rights by the same; he produced these Ban Liang coins in large quantities, w/two bars on the obverse of the coin above and below the hole.

- a set of 2 'standard' Western Han Ban Liang showcasing the principal varieties - namely M-shaped Liang vs E-shaped Liang, rims and no rims, well-done calligraphy vs. crude calligraphy.

Thanks!

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Previous

Return to KMA News