7/6/07: Adrian's Ancient Chinese Coins

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:30 am

Very cool man, I am quite curious if you plan to put any more Three Kingdoms period coins up in the forseeable future, I just saw the announcement today and am already kicking myself.
Ill keep the page bookmarked and look for updates if they're coming.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:49 am

Elven Fury wrote:Very cool man, I am quite curious if you plan to put any more Three Kingdoms period coins up in the forseeable future, I just saw the announcement today and am already kicking myself.
Ill keep the page bookmarked and look for updates if they're coming.

No 3K coins in the latest round but there are a couple I have in mind for putting up in the weeks to come.

As for my cuirrent offerings, if you're too lazy to check out the link, then I have on offer:

- Shang/Zhou Mother of Pearl carved disk-thing, no idea what it was for
- Shang/Zhou Stone Cowrie money/Burial Goods
- Zhou burial Chime, plain w/rims
- Eastern Zhou Bronze cowrie money
- Eastern Zhou/Warring States, state of Yan 'Yi Hua'
- Western Han Wu Zhu cast under Emperor Xuan, c. 74-49 B.C.
- Lot of 2 Eastern Han Wu Zhu, one w/incuse character and other w/'star' or round dot on reverse

There's also some non-Chinese coin-related stuff I'm selling on there for my soon-to-be ex-wife, if anyone's interested feel free to bid on those, too, but I won't be updating or mentioning them again as they have no relevance to this topic or forum.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:54 pm

By the way, when I said "if you're too lazy" I was referring to everyone in general and not elven Fury, and was being jokey to boot. Anyway, some more items for sale:

- Yi Si Hua of the State of Qi from the Warring States period of Eastern Zhou with a very accomodating starting bid.
- 'Jun' type ghost face/ant nose coin
- Three Kingdoms/Shu-Han Dynasty Ding Ping Yi Bai
- Three Kingdoms/Shu-Han Zhi Bai - the first type of currency Liu Bei ever had cast
- Three Kingdoms/Wei Dynasty, set of 2 Wei Wu Zhu; coins of Wei are rarely seen properly-attributed, but I have the volume of the Great Dictionary of Chinese numismatics put out (in Chinese, of course) by the Henan Numismatic society that deals with Wei coins.

And the link again is:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcartersladeQQhtZ-1

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Adam » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:05 pm

*mutters various bank related curses*
I'll be buying something in the near future I'm sure. I just gotta get my stupid account number so's I can sign up for Paypal...lousy Wamu...
I did just get a check for 550$ and need something to blow it on....just ignore my strike on eBay. I get blamed for the postal service not delivering my mail now.
Hence the reason I am now going with Paypal instead of other means.

Anyway, expect ibspyii to buy multiple items in the near future.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm

EDIT:
There has been a small change in my shipping practices anyone interested needs to know about. Previously, I would simply mail the item or items out the day after the money enters my Paypal account. However, due to the current financial situation, I must wait for the money to actually make it from my Paypal account and into my bank account before I ship. This adds a total of 2-3 business days more to overall transaction time. Unfortunately I cannot edit listings after they have bids or have been going for a certain length of time so I was unable to edit most of the listings themselves. the ones I could, I have. there have been no other changes.

If you would like to make the near future the very near future, Adam, it would certainly be appreciated. Today, for example, would not be a problem for me ;)

Please forgive this push, everyone - I was fired on Thursday by my employer - a bank, and one with lax moral tendencies - using a policy they changed on the fly, w/o prior warning to me, as pretext for getting rid of me because they disliked the fact that I had obtained protection of my job under Federal law through the Family and Medical Leave Act. sSo if anyone would like to visit my profile and on eBay and bid, now is the time.

Right now I have up :

- Two Eastern Han Wu Zhu, one with an incuse 'yi' which is the number one and also a 'yi' or vertical bar cast as part of the coin extending down from the Wu; and one with a 'star' or round dot on the left side of the hole on the reverse; together as one lot, currently going for $9.99 with no bids.

- a beautiful carved, mother-of-pearl disk from Shang or Zhou times, use unknown, definitely worth money to the ancient Chinese since carv ed shells formed the backbone of their early economy, but most likely not used for commerce but rather as an ornament for the wealthy or a burial item for a rich noble or royal person. Disk has partial hole, is a Buy It Now item at $12.50, I paid $22.00 for it.

- a Western Han Wu Zhu, cast under the reign of emperor Xuan, currently with one bid on it, at $9.99

- a Shang or Zhou Dynasty stone cowrie, carved from a hard, brown, shiny jade-like substance, currently going for no bids at $12.99, originally purchased for $15.00.

- an Eastern Zhou/Warring States period 'Yi Hua' ("one hua") coin from the State of Yan (the one in the north), currently going for only $9.99, one bid.

- an Eastern Zhou Dynasty bronze cowrie, cast later than the stone varieties, since bronze currency itself didn't come until later, currently w/no bids and sitting at $9.99.

Those are the items ending today. I have combined shipping of $1.00 only for each item beyond the first, and will ship the coins anywhere, from Nebraska to Nepal. If you go to the reliable dealers listing:

http://chinesecoins.lyq.dk/eBaydealers.html

And check the middle column, under "Collectors selling Extras" you will see the link to my summary page.

Again, I'm not looking for pity bids or purchases, but if you've been lingering in the shadows, considering the purchase of a coin or money-like artifact, but haven't gone through with it yet, now would be a truly capital time to do so.

Thank you all,
Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:53 pm

There are three last items up for sale now, all ending in the next 20 hours or so.

They are:

- a bronze ghost face/ant nose coin with the less-common inscription "jun" which is the archaic form of the character we now have for "lord, sovereign" (by archaic I mean the script is archaic, the character is still "jun"). Probably descended from the bronze cowrie shells and probably used by the State of Chu, if not exclusively then near-exclusively. Right now sitting at no bids with $14.99 starting price.

- a Zhi Bai ("value 100") coin of Shu-Han, c. 214-263 A.D. It is mentioned in the histories that on taking Chengdu from Liu Zhang, Liu Bei was advised to cast these small, value 100 coins. The first coin type cast by the Shu-Han Dynasty. Currently w/no bids and opening at $10.00, reduced from $15.

- A Yi Si Hua of the State of Qi, during the Eastern Zhou, Warring States period. The coin inscription means "City of Yi, Four hua". This coin has a bid currently on it of $29.99. This is a scarce, early round coin. Value is usually around $100 for it, but so far it hasn't climbed very high. If you are interested in this one I would recommend getting prepped for the final few hours and wait by your computer because there are mnay people currently "watching" this item (something you can't see since you're not the seller).

Probably mid-week more coins will go up since eBay won't bill me for their fees until September now. Thanks to everyone and and to James specifically, and Adam, and anyone that bought from me that I don't know who you are because I don't know your real name on here.

Adrian

P.S. James - Either you're really busy or your inbox is full for PMs. I have had one sitting in my Outbox for two weeks waiting for you. It's hopelessly out of date now, but maybe you need to check your inbox.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 pm

Sent you a PM. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:35 pm

I've got some new auctions going on eBay, nothing spectacular, but some interesting/unusual items.

- a Wu Zhu coin of the type recently sold by east_antique_ltd as Liu Bei Wu Zhu, but whose definite attribution has yet to be established. They could also be cast in the same region, at an earlier time, when it was Yi Province of Eastern Han, or possibly slightly later, when the area came under the rule of Western Jin. Hartill attributes them to Shu-Han/Liu Bei, while The Great Dictionary of Chinese Numismatics attributes them to Western Jin.

- another Shu region Wu Zhu of uncertain attribution, though somewhat clearer than the above, this coin is either of the time of Liu Yan/Liu Zhang, father and son Inspectors of Yi Province under Eastern Han, or else was cast by Liu Bei under Shu-Han. Both Hartill and The Great Dictionary attribute this type to Shu-Han/Liu Bei.

- a Western Han Ban Liang of the 4 zhu type, with unusual "twill" Ban character

- a Western Han Ban Liang bearing the same style and shape as the 'Wu Fen' ("one-fifth") Ban Liang but having the weight of a 4-zhu Ban Liang (Wu Fen were 2.4 zhu). Originally from east_antique_ltd, who explained the nature of the coin to me.

- Lastly, a lot of 2 Western Han Ban Liang comprising the principal characteristics/varieties of the most common types found, namely one specimen appearing to have outer rims and an M-shaped Liang bottom, and the other lacking outer rims and having an E-shaped Liang bottom.

The index for my coins on eBay is:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarterslade

Thanks to past buyers and any future ones,
Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:26 pm

More coins are up, including a really beautiful, thick Zhi Bai Wu Zhu with orange and green patina; a really nice Xiao Quan Zhi Yi of Wang Mang with what the Chinese call 'Shuiyin Gu' patina (Ancient Mercury - for the silver look; shuiyin is literally "silver water"); two W. Han Wu Zhu; a nice-sized Ban Liang of the Qin Dynasty; and a cowrie carved from some kind of jade-like stone, from sometime in the Zhou Dynasty.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarterslade

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Even more coins up for sale on eBay, including:

- an Eastern Zhou Dynasty Ming Hua coin, cast by the State of Yan

- a Ding Ping Yi Bai coin of Shu-Han sporting the incuse character Wang - "king" - on the reverse

- a Ji Mu or 'Chicken Eye' Wu Zhu of Western Han, very tiny and probably intended as a burial item rather than for actual commercial exchange

- an Eastern Zhou Dynasty 'Ghost Face' coin of unknown inscription; despite being the most common type, no one is entirely sure what the inscription means. Some think jin - "metal", or bei - "shell"

- an Eastern Han Wu Zhu with the unusual incuse character Yang - "sheep" on the reverse. E Han Wu Zhu w/incuse chars most commonly use directional or numerical words so an animal is unusual

- a Wu Fen - "cut into fifths" - Ban Liang from Western Han that isn't actually a Wu Fen at all

I'm having a blowout, retaining only my 10-15 favorite pieces and a few odds and ends that would never sell. New coins are going up almost every day, and will continue to do so for the next week.

As always, the linky is - http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarterslade

EDIT: Please note that I inadvertently listed the Qin Ban Liang as a Zhi Bai Wu Zhu of Shu-Han (I work from templates of past listings rather than creating each one by scratch). The error has been fixed, but in case anyone saw that and became interested through the error please double-check any item you're bidding on. Thanks.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

PreviousNext

Return to KMA News