10/13/06: Romance of the Three Kingdoms for PC in English?

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

10/13/06: Romance of the Three Kingdoms for PC in English?

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:59 pm

Did that title make you excited? We are excited at the thought of it. Anyone who has played Koei’s game series <i>Romance of the Three Kingdoms</i> enjoys well-rounded strategy and a good challenge. And if you are one of them, and you follow the PC versions of the game we feature here, you know how much more detailed they are than Koei’s toned-down console offerings. It can’t be helped—television simply doesn’t provide the resolution that allows these games to truly bloom! But a computer screen allows the environment to come to life, improves your ability to manage kingdoms and officers, and enriches the whole experience.

Wouldn’t it be nice to play <i>Romance of the Three Kingdoms</i> on both your television, <i>and</i> on your computer? The market already exists in Asia—it is an established success—and here in the United States, where computer gaming is a recognized and strongly established medium, would the success be anything less? One of the most frequently requested items here at Kongming’s Archives is English Patches for PC versions of Koei’s <i>Romance of the Three Kingdoms</i> games. In fact, these requests account for 20% of <i>all</i> our email.

Why discuss this now? Steven Trinkl has created <a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/forkoei/petition.html" target="_blank">a petition</a> for Koei to translate these wonderful PC games to English for us to enjoy as they were meant to be enjoyed—not through hacks (as much as we presently love them) that strive to fit English in small text areas originally intended for Japanese, Chinese, or Korean characters. Would you like to see these games on the local store shelf? If so, <i>please voice your support</i>, and join us in signing Steven Trinkl’s <b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/forkoei/petition.html" target="_blank">Petition for Koei to <i>Release Romance of the Three Kingdoms</i> for the PC in English</a></b>!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Catalyst » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24 pm

All that comes to mind right now is "Huzzah!!!" This is awesome, really. Hope the petition gets through. *signs*
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Sang » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:05 pm

I woould loved to sign the petition but it won't let me :( . "This petition has been closed to new signatures at the author's request. Does it mean its over?
Gao Shun & Cheng Lian, you have my prayers!

Sun Tzu: “Knows thy enemy, knows thyself and victory is never in doubt, not in a hundred battles.”

Sun Tzu: “A vanquished state cannot be revived; the dead cannot be brought back to life.”
Sang
Changshi

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:13 am

People were signing the petition multiple times using different names, so the creator of the petition closed it. Falsifying signatures isn't a good way to actually go about a petition.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:33 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:People were signing the petition multiple times using different names, so the creator of the petition closed it. Falsifying signatures isn't a good way to actually go about a petition.

Wow… talk about a shitty thing for them to do.
I suppose they probably didn’t know any better.

The real question is whether or not it made impact enough for Koei US to even discuss it with Koei JP.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:57 am

According to staff at the Koei forums, they'd passed it on, though what will come of it remains to be seen. I don't have high hopes for it, as I think it would be a mistake for them to do, but I'm not on the payroll. ;)

I mean, if it did come out, I'd buy it, sure. I just don't think it would get the kind of return a game needs to get.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:11 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:I don't have high hopes for it, as I think it would be a mistake for them to do, but I'm not on the payroll. ;)

I don’t think it would warrant release-by-release porting unless proven in market, but even just releasing one or two modern titles could generate fair revenue, I imagine. The most significant challenge in releasing the title is the costs associated with game translation, but they do that anyway. It leaves the remaining considerable costs being interface redesign (they would have to change some areas of the game to support the extra width needed by English and Pinyin) and the costs of ongoing support and development (patches and whatnot). If they deemed it too risky, they might make it easier by planning the interface of a future version in a forward-thinking manner.

I wouldn’t be so quick to write it off as a poor idea, myself.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:08 am

I still don't understand why they're hesitant to release it in English on PC. Heck, they've even released the English DW4 for PC, and hopefully they'll do the same with DW5.

The ironic thing is, there are probably more people who would buy a legit English copy of the game than those who would be a legit Chinese copy of the game (Mainland China is pirate haven---which is understandable since a legit copy of a Koei game can easily be someone's salary for the entire month).

Regarding James' post, I agree that the most expensive things are taken care of--they've already translated the game and there is already a PC version. I think the main obstacle is with marketing---perhaps they're thinking that they'd spread themselves too thin by trying to market both PS2 and PC versions of the same game (which, admittedly, is not a super-mainstream game in North America, not in the sense of, say, Halo2). There's going to be competition from the established strategy games (the Civilization series, for one) in the PC world (vs. the consoles).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Return to KMA News