5/27/06: kongming.net migration warning and information...

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

5/27/06: kongming.net migration warning and information...

Unread postby James » Sat May 27, 2006 7:58 am

As of 12:00 PM PST, May 27th, 2006, Kongming’s Archives will be in the process of migrating to a new host (yes, another new host). The domain name should transfer within the next few days. You will know this transfer has been completed because this update should appear on the Kongming’s Archives home page (the failure of updates to appear on the home page, due to a PHP error, being one of the many reasons why we have decided to transfer).

How will this affect you, our beloved viewers? If you created an account after the date listed above, it will, unfortunately, be deleted. I <i>may</i> be able to transfer this information shortly after the migration takes place, but this is not something I am certain of at this time. In fact, all database changes made from this moment up until the transfer completes may be lost. There is good news, however. This transfer should be handled in a much smoother fashion than the previous switch, in part due to the fact the new host will support all the old features Kongming’s Archives relied on back in the day along with the features it relies on now, and in part due to the fact that our new host should simply be an all around improvement. I’ll provide another update as soon as the transfer has completed.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Wo Long » Sat May 27, 2006 4:19 pm

So does this mean there will be less downtime than before? And is this just KMA you're moving, or the forums as well?
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun May 28, 2006 5:18 am

Wo Long wrote:So does this mean there will be less downtime than before? And is this just KMA you're moving, or the forums as well?

It is tough to say as it is a new host. They do however have a policy that is encouraging: if the site’s uptime for any given month is less than 99.9% they give me the whole month’s hosting for free. In addition, they have said, as well as their members, that the sites are never offline for more than around 20 minutes when a problem does happen (barring things like an office fire). I would say that is good news.

SoSZ will probably remain hosted in its current location for a little while.
I was thinking about moving it, but it seems lately speed has improved quite a bit.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sun May 28, 2006 6:18 am

The migration is complete. The database and all pages on Kongming’s Archives (aside from a few pages that were previously broken anyway) should be fully functional! It should now be back to business as usual. If you happen to come across any unusual behavior, or find an ‘Internal Server Error’ message, please post the details here, or send me an email! :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to KMA News