4/1/06: Changsha Educated Press' Stunning Sanguo Articles!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

4/1/06: Changsha Educated Press' Stunning Sanguo Articles!

Unread postby James » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:24 am

As it seems nearly everyone who attended the forum figured out, along with many of site viewers, the breakthrough articles from Chansha Educated Press and Xiahou Mao’s new historical biography (SoSZ topic) were both fictions and part of our April Fool’s joke for 2006. It was perhaps our most peaceful April Fool’s joke so far—not a single physical threat received! As some of you guessed, the Xiahou Mao biography is an extended version of a biography Simulated RTK Site Administrator ‘Xiahou Mao’ frequently shares with plebes hoping to learn more about his hero, Xiahou Mao. We’ll share more details when we immortalize this event in our Site Archives. I hope everyone enjoyed it!
Last edited by James on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Hahahahaha and i was about to post in this forum asking what the theme was going to be this year. Nice!
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:57 pm

How silly of me to forget today's date. However, I soon grew suspicious, and found that while there is a Hunan Educated Press, a Shandong Educated Press, a Shanghai Educated Press, indeed, many small publishers of the form Placename Jiaoyu Chubanshe, there is no Changsha Educated Press.

I also found no references for any of these supposed professors. I think this whole thing's a crock! Although nice job for whoever came up with the names - very appropriate for professors and archaeologists (the Chinese ones, anyway).

You did manage to fool me for about 25 minutes though, better than most people.

Adrian
Last edited by Liu Yuante on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Marc » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Dr. Faril Ploos? April-Fool's, perhaps? :lol:

I didn't really read the article at first, but then I saw the name and started laughing.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:48 pm

I was a bit slow and only got the hint when reading Xiahou Mao's bio. Then I googled Changsha Educated Press, foudn nothing and my suspcions where confirmed.

Hope we keep the bio
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Athrun Zala » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:27 pm

LOL, good job. At first I thought it's real until I noticed the hint Dr. Faril Ploos...
Well done. This could be the most unexpected prank I've ever seen. :lol:
Athrun Zala, Pilot of ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam
風林火山 - taken from Sonshi Heihou by Takeda Shingen

Sengoku Jidai Info? Go to Sengoku Jidai Database.
Athrun Zala
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Equinox » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:58 pm

Me being the careful reader I am, didn't notice something was amiss until midway through Xiahou Mao's mighty list of accomplishments...Nicely done! Oh, how the annual SoSZ tradition of April Fool's pranks continues...
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zhao_yun_006 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:05 pm

omg... you finally got me James. After going through 4 years of this, you finally got me. I just looked at the calender, here I was starting to wonder why Mao has such low stats all the time. Nicely done. You got me good.
zhao_yun_006
Apprentice

Re: 3/31/06: Changsha Educated Press' Stunning Sanguo Articl

Unread postby James » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:16 am

Original April Fool’s Kongming’s Archives News Post, 4/1/06:

James wrote:Here’s some exciting new news for everyone—something we stopped development on our other projects to focus on given how interesting it is. Apparently, back in 2005 (this is the first I’ve heard of it), the Changsha Educated Press (<i>Changsha Jiaoyu Chubanshe</i>) published a collection of over 20 articles, over 12 issues (through the year 2005) detailing alternate accountings of various famous Three Kingdoms personages’ lives. Some of these articles paint a picture which stands in stark contrast to information presented by the likes of Chen Shou, Pei Songzhi, and Sima Guang—people who have set the standard we hold to be near absolute truth today.

As we learned from Harvard’s Dr. Robert D. Mawhinney, former associate of Asian Studies historians Dr. Faril Ploos (1946–) and Professor Fei Xueshi (費雪軾) (1922–1993), and long-time Kongming’s Archives historical advisor, these articles are based on histories which were discovered in China late in 2002, though they weren’t recognized by the government until late 2004. (We’ll share more information on this as soon as we get all the details—Lady Wu is looking into it while we wait to hear back from Dr. Mawhinney, and I have also sent inquiry to Dr. Rafe de Crespigny).

We hope to translate these articles through the upcoming months. In the mean time, Dr. Mawhinney has translation for us a biography authored by Chinese Professor Jia Yanjiu (賈琰玖), on the subject of Xiahou Mao, and based on the mentioned Changsha Educated Press articles. This particular biography is intriguing as it deviates significantly from other historical works in a number of areas, while information on other people, such as Cao Cao, remains fairly consistent. We have theories as to why this may be, but we’re going to research it more before we delve too much into that topic. Also, some elements of this biography seem to be fairly controversial even compared to the Chagsha Educated Press articles, though from what I have read, along with some of the other translators I work with here on the site, these new publications seem to shed accurate light on many controversial topics, and while they present a number of new questions, seem to be highly reliable overall.

That said, originally authored by Professor Jia Yanjiu (賈琰玖), using articles from issues 214 (Mar. 2005), 215 (Apr. 2005), and 220 (Sep. 2005) of the Changsha Educated Press’ monthly publications (by historians Zhen Gaoxiao [甄高霄] and Huang Yan [黃延]) as sources, I would like to present a <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php">new historical biography for Xiahou Mao (Zixiu)</a>, which has been translated to english by Dr. Mawhinney—for your viewing pleasure, of course! Also, because this is such an exciting new breakthrough, we’ve opened a <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=15023">topic for discussing this biography</a>, along with the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=15022">articles published by the Changsha Educated Press</a>, in our forum, <a href="/">Scholars of Shen Zhou</a>. If any among you are subscribers of this publication (we only know three people), and would like to help with this translation project, please <a href="http://kongming.net/email/">email us</a>. Enjoy!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to KMA News