3/22/06: Romance of the Three Kingdoms X Portraits Online!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Yay! They actually made Guo Yuan pretty decent. Wow I can't believe I missed out on playing him! I should rent ROTK X so I can ally with Ma Teng as Guo Yuan and annhilate Cao Cao. Thanks for the info Xiahou Mao. Hm...haha now we just need some sort of group effort to gather up all the ROTK XI portraits. >:)

Anyways I really like the ROTK X portraits. And I especially love how many new characters Koei added. It seems like every new ROTK, Koei finds new people to put in. Like in ROTK XI there's a bunch of new female officers. One thing I liked about ROTK X though was it had all the tribe people like Pan Lin, King Midang, Hu Chuquan, etc.,etc.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:12 pm

Yeah, I guessed there would be plenty of errors. One of the things that usually delays the projects is the research of the individual names vs. Hanzi and the re-naming of the files. I pretty much worked around that completely with this version though and wrote a PHP program to take the file list and spew out the HTML I needed.

Made this page a heck of a lot easier to put online!

Lady Wu wrote:You stat freaks scare the s**t out of me.
All I knew about Guo Yuan was his style name.

Hehe. I used to remember half the characters’ stats in Romance of the Three Kingdoms [I]. I don’t remember too much now, though. I still remember quite a bit from a project that took place at SimRTK—in which, me, and a number of other team members, went through each officer and assigned our own skills and stats to them, sometimes in the midst of heavy debate.

SlickSlicer wrote:Yay! They actually made Guo Yuan pretty decent. Wow I can't believe I missed out on playing him! I should rent ROTK X so I can ally with Ma Teng as Guo Yuan and annhilate Cao Cao. Thanks for the info Xiahou Mao. Hm...haha now we just need some sort of group effort to gather up all the ROTK XI portraits. >:)

It is pretty simple—it just takes some time. All that is needed is 1) Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, 2) an officer editor to cycle through each officer taking their portrait (BMP or another non-lossy format), and 3) for a file to be saved for each portrait named according to the numeric ID in the game's database (this ID is almost always shown in the character editor).

Either the portraits have to all be cropped properly, or a full screenshot can be taken of each. If a full screenshot is taken of each, the game screen shouldn't move from one to another. If submitted to me, I can write a script for Photoshop to go through each file, crop specifically to the portrait, and save all the compressed and non-compressed variations I like.

At this point we'd have a portrait for each character, but they would all be referenced by number. Sooner or later, someone will publish a list of all the translated names and their corresponding numbers, and using that (Xiahou Mao usually gets this to me somehow) the files could be named for their corresponding officers. The page would go online shortly after that.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:11 pm

Lady Wu wrote:You stat freaks scare the s**t out of me.

All I knew about Guo Yuan was his style name.

I'd be more worried if I remembered them exactly, rather than having to produce a relatively accurate estimate. ;)

James wrote:Hehe. I used to remember half the characters’ stats in Romance of the Three Kingdoms [I]. I don’t remember too much now, though. I still remember quite a bit from a project that took place at SimRTK—in which, me, and a number of other team members, went through each officer and assigned our own skills and stats to them, sometimes in the midst of heavy debate.

We still do that between each game. I haven't participated in the recent ones as much as I did back then, though, which is why Cao Cao's crept back up to 56 War (before items). Funny, since I was the one who'd played him, that I'm the staunchest advocate for lowering his stats. ;)

It's always amusing, though, to see player outcry whenever Liu Bei appears. "But he's mediocre in the games! How come you made him so good?"
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:05 pm

By the way, guys, while working on another site addition (which will probably be announced today) I added an extra element of the tool to watch for certain incorrect character names. Whenever any of you find an incorrect name in the Three Kingdoms X portraits, I’m going to add it. Not only will this make sure that the same incorrect name doesn’t appear in future posted biographies, once enough of them have been collected, it will allow me to update the Three Kingdoms X biographies themselves with the correct information.

In short, post any mistakes you find here!

Xiahou Mao wrote:We still do that between each game. […]

Hehe. I remember the debate about Cao Cao’s stats. Heck, it never finished. Even after we ‘resolved’ where they would be, people kept wanting to increase his war (and muck around with the other stats). I’d post the information for entertainment if it wasn’t proprietary game information.

Next time people start to whine about something like that [Liu Bei], please do send me a PM. That would have been entertaining to see.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Bryan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:18 am

Seems like the names are in alphabetical order, but you have the portraits of Huang Cheng Yan and Hua Tuo swapped.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Thank you. That mistake has been corrected.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Previous

Return to KMA News