2/17/06: Back online after over a week of downtime!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

2/17/06: Back online after over a week of downtime!

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Welcome back, everyone. I’m sure plenty of you are wondering what happened. Much to our dismay, we unexpectedly lost our server, and while we were prepared for this to a degree, we weren’t ready to deal with the full scale of this surprise. Flash forward over a week, we have reconnected with a new paid host (yeah, back to paying the bill again) and much of the site’s functionality has been fully restored. There are a few notable exceptions, which are listed below and currently in a state of repair. Aside from those exceptions, if you see any problems, please report them for repair.

Issues that need to be resolved: 1) <s>Scholars of Shen Zhou Archive Project is non-functional due to server limitations</s> <i>[edit: fixed and <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/sosz/">back online</a>!]</i>; 2) <s>A few soundtracks in the Music Section are offline</s> <i>[edit: fixed, an hosted for the time being by us!]</i> 3) <s>Odds & Ends is completely messed up and has to be rebuilt</s> <i>[edit: fully repaired, but we need to re-create accounts: see next update]</i>.

Also, for people who have been participating in the Development Project, the last backup we had was from February 2nd, 2006. This was a relatively current backup, but a rather small amount of information <i>was</i> lost. If any of you have questions, please feel free to <a href="http://kongming.net/email/">write me</a>. This information will have to be re-submitted into the project.

It is also important to note the fact that I’ve been without email myself for a while now, and any email sent for the past while will not reach me. I’ve fully repaired all my email accounts, though, so <a href="http://kongming.net/email/">you can reach me now</a>. I’m going to be focusing my time on fixing up the broken parts of the site, though, so I won’t be able to answer many of them. I will, however, read <i>all</i> of them. If everything works out well, Kongming’s Archives should remain on this server for some time to come.
Last edited by James on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:41 am

Wow that was a huge pain. Kongming’s Archives’ new host does not allow remote linking to databases, and that makes it quite a challenge to download dynamic updates to the home page. As if that wasn’t bad enough, it makes it a <i>massive battle</i> to have something like a dynamic self-updating section completely composed of content from another site’s database (i.e. the <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/sosz/">Scholars of Shen Zhou Archive Project</a>). I spent a good chunk of my freetime completely rewriting half of its engine in one grand PHP hack to make sure it stayed exactly the same as it has always been, and now my hard work has finally finished.

I still have to re-implement some error handling in that section, and on the Kongming’s Archives home page (for example, if SoSZ is having issues, both of them may experience slowdowns and possible display errors), but at least they are back to functional in terms of displaying data. The rest can come after the other problems on the site have been fixed.

The Music Section
Right now I’m pondering different ideas for the music section, as I’m once again back to paying for all the bandwidth. One thought has been to collect donations specifically for a public media server that would be used in conjunction with the music project—something that would allow almost anything to go online independently of Kongming’s Archives. I think it just might work. Even if not, the music page filters bandwidth efficiently enough that I should still be able to keep sharing a few tunes (or more for Odds & Ends).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:47 pm

Okay, the other two issues have now been resolved as well. :)

Odds & Ends
We couldn’t migrate the old accounts, and there is no way to activate Kongming’s Archives user accounts without speaking with members because there is no sure element linking a user account to an Odds & Ends account. I’ve created a form to help with this, though.

Soundtracks: Three Kingdoms X and Dynasty Warriors 4
They are both back online, and presently being hosted by the main Kongming’s Archives site. I’m not sure how long I’ll host them here, however. A lot depends on bandwidth usage. I’ve got a few plans for down the road, though.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DM48 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:11 am

Would this be why the links submission form from the links section no longer works? I understand the problems in maintaining a site such as this as I take part in similar activities, but I've tried emailing the webmaster email about the problem and tried contacting people from the Staff Info page and have never received a reply, first contact attempt was over 2 months ago now. I know you must be busy, I'm a busy man myself and know the problems of trying to maintain a large website, but there seems little point in having a staff contact page if nobody responds, especially after 2 months or more. =/
DM48

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:32 am

Hahaha... James, maybe it's time you go update the staff info page now. *nudge nudge*
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Hehe… it is indeed a compelling argument.
Edit: for the time being, please feel free to use the regular email form.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DM48 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:26 pm

When I go to that page, I get this message:

Error: We’re sorry, but your internet browser/client is not authorized to access this form.
If you feel this was an error, please feel free to write us using this email account.

I sent an email to error@kongming.net asking why I'm blocked and also stating my original bug report. The only reason I can think of it being blocked is abuse, but I've only used it twice in a couple of months. I'm currently at University so I don't think it would be blacklisted or anything. So if you could check that out it would be appreciated. All I've been trying to do is submit a link to a DW/SW website I run, I was unaware it would be such a quest with so many unforeseen problems. ^^;

Just posting here as well so it hopefully won't go un-noticed. Thanks.
DM48

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:58 pm

DM48 wrote:When I go to that page, I get this message:

Error: We’re sorry, but your internet browser/client is not authorized to access this form.
If you feel this was an error, please feel free to write us using this email account.

I sent an email to error@kongming.net asking why I'm blocked and also stating my original bug report. The only reason I can think of it being blocked is abuse, but I've only used it twice in a couple of months. I'm currently at University so I don't think it would be blacklisted or anything. So if you could check that out it would be appreciated. All I've been trying to do is submit a link to a DW/SW website I run, I was unaware it would be such a quest with so many unforeseen problems. ^^;

Just posting here as well so it hopefully won't go un-noticed. Thanks.

I'm not James, and I don't know much about these things, but what's the browser you're using? Is it the most up-to-date version of whatever it is? I'm assuming you're also posting from your university, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with your university connection.

If you're still having problems with the form (could be a glitch from the recent server change), why don't you post the link in this thread? :D Or better yet, sign up for a SoSZ account and tell people about your site in the Foreign Kingdoms forum here? :D
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Deathman48 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:42 am

Heh, I'm wise to these things, when Internet Explorer failed I immediately tried Firefox, but still no luck. They're both pretty recent, I don't see why lack of updates would cause it to fail. =/ I'll have to wait until I get a reply on the email to see what's going on there.

Either way, I'm all registered up, now to read the rules of that section of the site. ^^
Deathman48
Tyro

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:40 am

As Lady Wu said, please feel free to participate in discussion here, especially in the Foreign Kingdoms forum for discussing Sanguo sites. :)

I replied to your email, but for anyone curious the email form does check for certain important information. Bots try very hard to use it to send their own emails to other people, and as a result I have built in very strict security. If it notices problems, it will completely hide the form from you, and give you the error that was posted above. It will interact with a viewer that has a hidden IP address, for example. I have also recently noticed that it doesn’t like certain proxy servers (a common issue on the job, or at school).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to KMA News