1/22/06: Scholars of Shen Zhou Three Kingdoms Archive Search

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

1/22/06: Scholars of Shen Zhou Three Kingdoms Archive Search

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:42 am

Just a quick update to introduce an interesting addition to Kongming’s Archives, the <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/sosz/">Scholars of Shen Zhou Three Kingdoms Archive Searcher</a>. Since we founded our forum, Scholars</a> of Shen Zhou, in 2002, there have been numerous insightful and informative debates and discussions, lengthly shared research on a multitude of topics, and articles shared about the <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/">Three Kingdoms novel</a> and the history behind it. Unfortunately, the forum never had a reliable, fast, or efficient search engine to use when searching for these old topics. This, combined with a desire to make the forum friendlier to new members wanting to restart old topics, was the driving motivation of this project.

Using <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/sosz/">this tool</a> you can look up forum topics on numerous officers of the Three Kingdoms Era (in the same pre-defined categories found most anywhere else in the <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/">Novel & History Section</a>), enter your own custom searches for the <a href="/">Scholars of Shen Zhou</a>’s <a href="/viewforum.php?f=5">Three Kingdoms section</a>, and finally, we’ve programmed in a number of pre-defined category searches (e.g. specific kingdoms, groups, battles, regions, literature) that you can view. Please read the section’s introduction for more information on how it works and what you can expect. Enjoy!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Bryan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm

I've noticed that for most of the "Popular Officers", when you move your mouse over one of the following links, the name as well as the mini-summary disappears. That is, until I move the mouse over another link above the current officer's link. For instance, say I'm looking at the example you've put out for Dian Wei's Death. The moment I move my mouse over that link (not even clicking on it), the name of the officer (Dian Wei), and all other immediate information (DOB-DOD; mini-summary) disappear. Now, if I scroll down and then back up, it reappears. It will also reappear if I move my mouse over a link in the section directly above the one where the information has disappeared (in my example, this would be the Biographies section for Da Qiao). This also happens with most of the other search options that bring up individual officers, and to an extent, the custom searches.

Now, I don't know if it's just me or my computer (running IE6), or if I explained it clearly enough, but though I can make do without the officer names and summaries, it is a tad bit... annoying. Certain names like Cao Cao and Guo Jia seem to be exempt from this, although their Biographies sections are not.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm

That’s interesting. I have a theory as to what it might be knowing some of IE 6’s bugs. I also think I might know how to fix it. I’ll have a look at it soon when I’ve got enough time to fix it. Works fine in Firefox and Safari at the moment.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:35 pm

I was just browsing, and I also noticed that the Officer names (The bolded colored ones) do dissapear when the mouse goes over them. A bit odd, cause these aren't links. But when I right click and highlight them, they re-appear. So, I guess the problem isn't only on Bryan.

Besides that, this is probably one of the best things you've set up. I'm gonna be reading through it all day.

Also, what is the signigance of

01/04 26
10/03 167
09/03 43
09/02 31

?
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:43 am

Wow, Internet Explorer is a pain in the butt. I must have worked my way around no less than five browser bugs just now to make that page display proper in that brower. It should work in Internet Explorer now (please post if it doesn’t). On the left, you should see the topics, and on the right, you should see the link information (see sample below). If the link information is below the links—or anywhere else for that matter—something is broken, so please let me know.

Remember to reload the page a few times to clear the bad cached page.

01/04 26
10/03 167
09/03 43
09/02 31

This is a sample of link information. It is really simple. The first is the date at which the linked thread was originally started (e.g. October 2003, September 2003, September 2002), and the second is the number of replies that have been made to that thread (e.g. 167 Replies, 43 Replies, 31 Replies).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 am

This is a totally awesome tool! Good job, James!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:42 am

Thank you. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:42 am

Everything is working A OK, we got smooth sailin'. I'm curious tho...

Diaochan [Sable Cicada]

Sable Cicada sound exotic, what does it mean?
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:07 am

Wow… I’m finding some fun old threads that I’ve forgotten about just casually referencing this thing. I guess I really underestimated how annoying it is to use the search engine here. I really hope they improve it in the next version of PHP.

Ezekiel wrote:Sable Cicada sound exotic, what does it mean?

This is speculation. Sable (Diao) tails and jade decorations, in the shape of Cicadas (Chan). As these adorned the hats of high level officials at the time, this is one probable source. Almost everything about Diaochan evolved through storytelling and possibly plays as well.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to KMA News