12/8/05: Of readable officer lists and entry color coding.

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:12 am

Yep, yep good job with the color coding. I noticed awhile ago that characters like Jiang Wei, who served more than one lord, get a greenish-bluish-grayish-dullish color mix. The colors stand out and work well plus I can already distinguish some forces. (Example: Yuan Shu and Ji Ling have a distinctive purplish-pinkish color)
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:02 am

Marx!_II wrote:It is rather off-topic, and for that I apologize, but I cannot seem to access the music section. The tag warned me to use the site navigation links, and I have tried every link I could find, but to no avail. Am I missing something?

So even when you go to the music page from the link on the home page, it still kicks you back to the home page? Are you using private internet browsing software, or anything along those lines?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Marx!_II » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:27 am

Only Firefox, does that count?
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:00 pm

That’s particularly interesting.
I created an experiment to help answer this question.

http://kongming.net/test/user_test_1.php

Please go there, click on the link, and it will take you to a test that will validate your access as if you were trying to load the music page. If it passes, you shouldn’t have trouble loading the page, which is curious indeed, and if it fails, it should tell us where. Either way, if you still can’t access the page, please post your results.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Marx!_II » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:39 am

Still no luck. I tried it again with Internet Explorer, just for good measure, and both times came up with this after the link: Music Page Access Test
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050225 Firefox/1.0.1
$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] could not be detected...
Due to the previous failure, referrer was not validated for your browser...

Result: Music Page Would Redirect to Home Page!Your browser failed the music page validation. Did you come to this page through the proper referring page? If so, do you have internet privacy software or anything similar on your computer? Software of this nature can prevent pages like this from working properly, as the information provided by your browser is generally intended to help pages work specifically with your browser. If you feel this is an error, please feel free to report it to the webmaster

Edit: Well don't I feel silly. The page loads fine if I switch off Norton, which is of little or no use anyway. Whether that is still an actual error or just the price of having that awesome a page with security type software is unknown to me, but I kept the original message around just in case. Thanks for your help.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:06 am

Ah, hah. Your Norton must have an extra feature which probably advertises itself as protecting your privacy, or something along those lines. I suspect it would be a part of Norton Personal Firewall. If you go into the specific settings you might find one for browser information reporting, or something along those lines. Having your firewall online is good, and it should be possible as long as you toggle that single setting.

Unfortunately, some of the information reported by browsers is quite important for elements of some sites on the internet to run properly.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Marx!_II » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:57 am

Duly noted, thanks again.
By the way, I positively adore the mixed color concept.
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:01 pm

Me too. It has really helped my ability to dig through the officer lists. It is very nice when I know what kingdom an officer served and I’m scanning for them. It is going to be implemented in more than a few locations.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jason » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:37 pm

It finally clicked, and I now see what you guys have been talking about. The color concept is brilliant, I love the blends for officers thats erved more than one kingdom. I hope you apply this color idea to other parts of the site, I'm all about it :D
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Previous

Return to KMA News