12/5/05: Of database improvements and the dev. project.

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

12/5/05: Of database improvements and the dev. project.

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:41 am

Previously, all the Kongming’s Archives database information was stored on the <a href="/">Scholars of Shen Zhou</a> server, which meant they both shared downtime—a problem resolved by migrating it to the local server. In fact, pages that depend on the database run faster now than ever before. <s>The home page, however, still depends on the remote server.</s> <i>(Update: Mission accomplished! The home page now loads with or without the database, so the two sites no longer share downtime at all).</i>

Work on the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=14111">Kongming’s Archives Development Project</a> continues, is stable enough for public testing, and has now been joined by its first members. Down the road much more information will be available, but for now, if you are curious, please feel free to read up on it (or even join) <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=14111">in the forum</a>.

The <a href="http://kongming.net/#gn">game release dates</a> have also been fully updated. Please note the additions of Samurai Warriors 2 (PlayStation 2), Samurai Warriors: State of War (<abbr title="PlayStation Portable">PSP</abbr>), and Dynasty Warriors 6 (PlayStation 3).
Last edited by James on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:00 pm

There we go. I took a moment to improve the code used by the home page. When loaded, it now tries to connect to the-scholars.com for the updates first, quietly, and if it doesn’t happen in time (it waits about eight seconds), it loads the page without the information. It will give a little link that can still be used to wait patiently for updates no matter how long it takes, but at least this isn’t the default functionality.

This means that when the-scholars.com is slow or offline, it no longer has any impact on Kongming’s Archives at all. I’m not the only person that has noticed some slowdowns on this server lately, and I didn’t want it to affect the main site anymore. Now I can go back to working on some new sections again.

Oh, and in those weird cases where you are kicked back to the home page for no apparent reason: the home page should now start reporting to you exactly why that happened (at least most of the time). I know it confuses some people when they try to load the music home page and the site doesn’t let them.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Return to KMA News