11/17/05: DW5:XL and a new tool for Chinese Unit Conversion!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

11/17/05: DW5:XL and a new tool for Chinese Unit Conversion!

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:21 am

First, Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends is available in stores. It shipped two days ago, and most locations received it yesterday. I will probably prepare a review of the game once I’ve had a good chance to play it (and perhaps down the road reviews for other games as well). More on this later.

About half a month ago I was reading a conversation between a few Three Kingdoms fans about the different units of Chinese measurement found in the book and other references, and how they translated to English. They were lamenting the fact that a tool they used to use to do this for them on the internet has since gone offline. I realized I didn’t know the locations of any tools for this either! As a result, a small but cool side-project was born, the <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/chinese_units/">Imperial Chinese Unit Conversion Tool</a>. It was in early development with bugs up until recently, but it is now providing accurate results for units of distance/length. Rather than keep it on hold until it is complete, I decided I’d share it with everyone now. I’ll add the other unit types with time, but for now, <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/chinese_units/">please enjoy</a>, and do <a href="http://kongming.net/email/">report any problems</a> you encounter so I can fix them. Permanent Location: <a href="http://kongming.net/novel/">Novel and History section</a>, on the right-hand menu under ‘Literature and Language’, listed as ‘<a href="http://kongming.net/novel/chinese_units/">Chinese Measurements</a>’.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:14 am

It was brought to my attention by Lady Wu that some units were a little different in the Three Kingdoms period, so the information on the tool isn’t completely accurate—it looks like it is basically a representation of modern day measurements. Once I get all the correct Three Kingdoms information the tool will be converted to the old school. :)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tyler » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:36 am

Visual Studio Web App?
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:41 pm

Tyler wrote:Visual Studio Web App?

Just PHP.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tyler » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:03 pm

I'm to the understanding it's your intellectual property and I'm not asking for the code as I don't even know PHP yet but would you mind telling use the formulas for Miles, Yards, Meters to Li? I plan to make a basic striped down app using Visual Basic.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Kong » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:00 am

wow, thats cool
"Ford, you are turning in to an infinite number of penguins. Stop it."
Master Kong
Scholar

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:34 am

Tyler wrote:I'm to the understanding it's your intellectual property and I'm not asking for the code as I don't even know PHP yet but would you mind telling use the formulas for Miles, Yards, Meters to Li? I plan to make a basic striped down app using Visual Basic.

Well... it isn't online just yet, but why don't you go there and put in some basic English measurements to find out? You should be able to put the list together in short order. I've got much more accurate measurements for the Han Dynasty now, however, so I'll be updating the tool in the near future. When I do that I'll also share all of the measurements.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm

James wrote:Well... it isn't online just yet, but why don't you go there and put in some basic English measurements to find out? You should be able to put the list together in short order. I've got much more accurate measurements for the Han Dynasty now, however, so I'll be updating the tool in the near future. When I do that I'll also share all of the measurements.

Here's a question, which may not belong here... are the measurements/conversions consistent between the Han dynasty and the SGZ, and the Yuan dynasty (or thereabouts) and the SGYY? In other words, was Luo Guanzhong likely to have copy and pasted characters' heights from SGZ (probably more accurate to Han dynasty heights), or from Yuan-era plays and other such sketchy sources? Or did the system of measurement remain relatively consistent between the Han and Yuan, making this question moot?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:59 pm

Yuan dynasty measurements are definitely different. Luo was good at using the sources that he had, so if something is in the SGZ, he would have copied it. However, everything else was fair game (incluing Guan Yu's height).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:38 am

The same thought struck me as well, Jason, and I planned to mention it in the introduction to the tool. The measurements I’m going to post should be quite accurate into the Three Kingdoms period, but as you start to work with later dynasties their accuracy will change a little (or perhaps a lot). I’m hoping Luo Guanzhong will stick with historical measurements in most cases, but I’m also expecting inconsistencies to exist.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to KMA News