8/11/05: Wounded in battle, but still fighting on!

Kongming's Archives news and updates. Topics posted to this forum are displayed on the Kongming's Archives home page. If you are interested in participating please contact James.

8/11/05: Wounded in battle, but still fighting on!

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:45 am

I bet a few of you thought we had finally died away this time, didn’t you? Well, it seems you’ll have to wait a little bit longer. Our previous host’s server went offline, and not just for a short amount of time. As much as I love them and the quality of their service and server, I’m not comfortable simply vanishing from the internet without notice for such an extended period of time. After a few days I started looking for a new host, and it so happened the opportunity was right in front of me.

A member of Scholars of Shen Zhou, Blackrazor, has generously offered us hosting (more on this in a little bit). We’ve also been discussing future possibilities for the community and expansion of the site (more on that later too). Even though we were offline, this could turn out to be a bright moment in our history. I truly want to extend my thanks to you, Daniel.

I’m sure you won’t have to browse the site very long before you stumble across some broken pages. Kongming’s Archives is actually a large and intricate site, and simply uploading it won’t be enough to restore functionality. Some pages might not display properly, may be missing information, or might be completely missing (please post major problems to <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=13490">the forum</a>). In addition, I wasn’t able to access email for several days during the downtime (so please write again if you don’t hear from me). Our email form is also currently offline. I’ll respond when the site is back in order. I usually don’t ask for <a href="http://kongming.net/donate/">donations</a>, but at the moment they would be very helpful: it would allow me to dedicate more time to fully resolving this problem.

I just want to thank everyone for their support, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site for many years to come. We’ve put a lot of work into it since Kongming’s Archives was born in 2002, and there are plenty of plans for the future as well. As long as I know the site is making a difference in some people’s lives, it will always have its place.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Blackrazor » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:28 am

Apologies to any of those who were trying to browse the site over the last 10 minutes or so, i was updating the control panel, mail server and base config package, and i didnt know it had to stop the Apache HTML service to do so. If i need to do it in future i'll let you know beforehand :)
Car Audio SQ Competitor, Chinese History Affecianado, Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
Blackrazor
Academic

Unread postby KOEI Warriors » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:51 am

Argh!!! Glad that you're back, James, with your Kongming's Archives... :D
KOEI Warriors
Student

Unread postby James » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:38 am

Glad I’m back too. I’m actually finding myself doing a few things that I thought of doing in the past, but didn’t quite take on due to the complexity involved (like redesigning the email page). Guess necessity is an excellent inspiration.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby barbarosso » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:03 pm

Come in Kongming net, come in.... Finally we are up and running and, thanks blackrazor
"The fine line before, arrogance and confitdence is bearly visible when we hold our heads up high" Me thats who !
barbarosso
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dragonus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:30 pm

Thank you very much blackrazor, now i can return the task of reading the Wu Biographies. GO WU!!!!
Tigers like me, are always searching for Chaos.
Dragonus
Master

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:14 am

Yeah Blackrazor you rock. I think in this particular case Blackrazor is worthy of a custom title. :mrgreen: I might start reading some biographies as well soon.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:24 am

I wish *I* have webspace to offer, so that I could ensure that only Wu bios ever get published, thus making the Scholars of the Southlands a reality. :lol:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Blackrazor » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:20 am

:shock:

If Lady Wu ever offers any webhosting with that intent, i'll see her hosting and raise her offer by double, so long as the resultant site gets called 'Meng De's Domain' ;) :lol:
Car Audio SQ Competitor, Chinese History Affecianado, Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
Blackrazor
Academic

Unread postby Dragonus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:35 am

I would fully support you Lady Wu in that venture and Blackrazor that joke is kinda funny. I give it one :lol:
Tigers like me, are always searching for Chaos.
Dragonus
Master

Next

Return to KMA News