History of the Scholars of Shen Zhou, Volume I

A special forum in which articles are transformed into articles at Kongming’s Archives. (Learn More)

Moderator: Kongming’s Archives Editors

History of the Scholars of Shen Zhou, Volume I

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Title: History of the Scholars of Shen Zhou, Volume I

Short Title: Record of 2002

Original Author: Qu Hui

Keywords: history, sosz, forum, scholars, 2002

Description: The first volume in a series of articles detaling the history of the forum from 2002-2008.

History of the Scholars, Volume I (2002)

In the sixth month, on the fourteenth day, Scholars of Shen Zhou is established on Venture Domain Hosting by James and Jonathan Wu. Many of the original members migrate from Sain Cai’s 5 Tigers Forum, an excellent forum that declined when the administrator had to attend to more important real-life issues. This same day, Lion’s Mane, future forum administrator, joins the forum. On the twenty-first day, Maria, future forum administrator, joins the forum under the name Dragon_Girl. On the twenty-fifth day, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII was released in North America for the Playstation 2.

In the seventh month, on the eighth day, the board goes down. On the twenty-second day, the board is restored using data from before the eighth. Posts and accounts created in that period are lost. On the twenty-fifth day, the link buttons for the forum are created.

In the eighth month, on the twenty-fifth day, the Honorable Lady Wu, future forum administrator, joins the forum.

In the ninth month, the first RP related to the board begins. This would lay the foundation for SimRTK to be founded the next year. On the thirtieth day, Dynasty Warriors 3 is released in North America for the Xbox.

In the tenth month, on the eighth day, the forum’s database is corrupted. The database is restored on the nineteenth day. On the twenty-ninth day, the database is offline so a hard drive can be replaced.

In the eleventh month, the Honorable Lady Wu is voted Scholar of the Month. This marks the beginning of her rise to world domination. On the twentieth day, the forum is offline so that the motherboard can be replaced. On the twenty-third day, Rhiannon, future forum administrator, joins the forum under the name Wild-Eyes.

In the twelfth month, Mega Zarak is voted Scholar of the Month.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: History of the Scholars of Shen Zhou, Volume I

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm

This isn't really a criticism, since I know this isn't really a serious project, but do you intend to keep all of this "Honorable" Lady Wu stuff in, with side-quips about her rise to world domination, etc.? If so, this goes beyond the realm of forum history into its own kind of meta-fiction, which is totally OK, but I just wanted to make sure that gels with your mission statement.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Kong Wen wrote:This isn't really a criticism, since I know this isn't really a serious project, but do you intend to keep all of this "Honorable" Lady Wu stuff in, with side-quips about her rise to world domination, etc.? If so, this goes beyond the realm of forum history into its own kind of meta-fiction, which is totally OK, but I just wanted to make sure that gels with your mission statement.

Seems pretty harmless, no? What do you think?
He basically wrote the forum history in a ZZTJ-esque format.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

James wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:This isn't really a criticism, since I know this isn't really a serious project, but do you intend to keep all of this "Honorable" Lady Wu stuff in, with side-quips about her rise to world domination, etc.? If so, this goes beyond the realm of forum history into its own kind of meta-fiction, which is totally OK, but I just wanted to make sure that gels with your mission statement.

Seems pretty harmless, no? What do you think?
He basically wrote the forum history in a ZZTJ-esque format.

I do think it's harmless, and I have no problem with it; it's his writing so it's ultimately his decision. I just thought I'd put the question to him to see what the creative direction of the project will be, how others will be "characterized" if at all, etc.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Thank you for the input, Kong Wen. The "world domination" thing carried over from the first two drafts of the history by SunXia and Kristina as a little throwback to their work. As for the "Honorable" title, that happened during a revision after I wrote part of the fictionalized account of the 2007 April Fool's Day Joke where I gave everyone who was mentioned a title. The title can and probably will be taken out.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Qu Hui wrote:Thank you for the input, Kong Wen. The "world domination" thing carried over from the first two drafts of the history by SunXia and Kristina as a little throwback to their work. As for the "Honorable" title, that happened during a revision after I wrote part of the fictionalized account of the 2007 April Fool's Day Joke where I gave everyone who was mentioned a title. The title can and probably will be taken out.

No pressure from me; if you like it, keep it in. I just think it's helpful to examine the details for consistency. You're to be congratulated on some very nice, thorough work so far. :)
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 am

Kong Wen doesn't think I'm honourable. :( :(

*plots world domination"

----

On topic: What would be the Ultimate Purpose of this writing? Nostalgia? Historical reference? If it's really more for nostalgia's sake then there is no harm in a bit of meta-fictionizing here and there.

I think SoSZ needs its own reign title.

"In the sixth month, on the fourteenth day, James established the Scholars of Shen Zhou at Venture Domain Hosting and declared himself Grand Administrator. A new reign title, "Sausage", was declared...

In the seventh month of the first year of Sausage..."
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 am

As my coinage, I lay claim to the Sausage reign title! And lo, it brought us many good years, until the forum turned a blind eye to wisdom and learning and descended into the dark ages. ;)
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 am

Well didn't you know, Kong? James is quite prone to appeasement.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:37 am

I was thinking it would be a mix of both nostalgia and real history when I started this. Let people see how far this place has come, as well as giving us a chance to look back at all the old jokes and remember.

EXCELLENT WORK. This is entirely your project now, lol. I really hope that you give yourself a big pat on the back when you write yourself into SoSZ's history.

And when you write about the Rebellion for the April joke, please please please keep the part about Baiko annoying-ing himself into it?
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Return to KMA Articles