Legend of Lu Bu walkthrough - Class Promotion

A special forum in which articles are transformed into articles at Kongming’s Archives. (Learn More)

Moderator: Kongming’s Archives Editors

Legend of Lu Bu walkthrough - Class Promotion

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 am

Title: Legend of Lu Bu Class Promotion Guide

Short Title: Seal Use

Original Author: Lady Wu

Keywords: legend of cao cao, legend of lu bu, locc, lolb, lu bu, tnu84, legend of cao cao mod, seal, seals, promotion, class promotion, class, level

Description: Suggestions for class promotion priority in tnu84's Legend of Lu Bu, a Legend of Cao Cao mod.

One of the most interesting challenges incorporated in tnu84's Legend of Lu Bu mod is that seals for class promotions are no longer purchasable from the store. Rather, they must be earned through completing certain tasks in a selection of battles. While all player-controlled characters are at a set level of 40 all through the game, it will not be until near the end of the game that enough seals can be collected to max out everyone's class type. This means that some strategic prioritizing is needed to maximize the benefits of class promotion during the course of the game.

Furthermore, some of the missions for obtaining seals are difficult and not everyone will necessarily want to attempt all of them (26 in the Conqueror Path, 24 in the Hero Path). This guide does not assume that all seals are obtained; instead, it outlines the benefits of class promotion for each character and provides some suggestions to help the player make a decision on when to spend a seal on when supplies are limited. This is why I have provided a suggested "most economical seal use" number even though it's ultimately possible to get two seals for each promotable character.

All units gain a negligible amount of HP and MP at a promotion. When prioritizing seal use, I consider the range increase, movement rate gain, and tactics available after each promotion.

Legend of Lu Bu Class Promotion Mini-Guide

Cao Xing

Being a Horsebow, Cao Xing's range is not as long as Song Xian's, but he makes up for that by having higher mobility and dealing greater damage. Just like Song Xian, every seal you give him makes him exponentially more useful in your team, since he gains one square of attack range per promotion.
---> Most economical seal use: 2

Return to top

Chen Gong

Definitely give him at least 1 seal as soon as you can, in order to give him access to tactics like Sear, Torrent, Boulder (more powerful 2nd-level elemental attacks), Rockslide (2nd-level area Earth-attack), and Meditate (since Potions are expensive!). I would hold off using the second seal on him. While Scorch, Deluge, and Explosion are useful, their accuracy rate is relatively low and there isn't much point in wasting MP on, say, Explosion until you get the Flame Fan.
---> Most economical seal use: 1 for the first half of the game, but you need 2 for the second half.

Return to top

Diaochan

Give her 1 seal as soon as possible. The first promotion gives her not only extra range, but also useful tactics like Entice (takes enemy HP to replenish herself) and Supply (mass heal). Just as in the case of Chen Gong, while her second promotion is useful (you get Return, Passion, and Cure), it can wait for when you have seals to spare.
---> Most economical seal use: 1 for the first half of the game, but you need 2 for the second half.

Return to top

Gao Shun

Give him one seal ASAP to get the diagonal attack range. Don't bother giving him the second seal; Class 3 Fighters only gain one extra tactic, "Confound" (lowers Burst of enemies in a 3x3 formation), which really isn't that useful.
---> Most economical seal use: 1

Return to top

Hou Cheng

Gains 1 movement point at the second promotion. Forget about it.
---> Most economical seal use: 0

Return to top

Hua Tuo

The first seal gives him an extra movement point, Haste (very useful at Guandu) and Transport, the biggest hack in Legend of Cao Cao. But don't give it to him at Sishui---you'll need every seal you can get between that and when Hua Tuo joins you next. Actually, even at Mount Rang, Hua Tuo's usefulness is debatable. He'll be super useful in every battle after that, though (the ones that he appears in, that is), so either give him a seal at the end of Mount Rang or early on in the next stage (Yanjin). His third class gives him an extra movement point (up to 6), and mass heal/status-restore tactics. Given the price of food in this game, you might as well give Hua Tuo that second seal as soon as you can. Geomancers no longer have access to Return in Legend of Lu Bu.

Return to top

Ju Gu

At the very minimum give him 1 seal so that he can have access to Recover and work as a backup healer. Whether or not you give him his second promotion depends on your style of playing. Class 3 Magicians gain Disinform (= mass Confuse, super low success rate), Maze (PoS), and Tortoise (another PoS). The only point I see in getting him to Class 3 is to get that one extra movement point. If you often use magicians to cast defence-down or attack-down (and there are spots in this game where it's almost necessary to do so), it might be worth that extra movement point so that he can get to the enemy faster (and run away faster when in danger).
---> Most economical seal use: 1

Return to top

Ju Shou

Similar to Chen Gong. Give him one seal ASAP to get the advanced fire tactics, Meditate, as well as the first set of weather spells (Overcast and Sunshine). His second promotion gives him 1 extra movement point as well as Downpour, Hurricane, and Explosion. Good tactics to have, but not essential. Note: Sandstorm has been removed from the Mounted Strategist's repertoire in this game.
---> Most economical seal use: 2 (though you can get by with 1)

Return to top

Lu Bu

Chariots cannot be promoted. He rocks from the beginning to the end of the game!
---> Most economical seal use: N/A

Return to top

Ma Yunlu (Blue Path only)

She's a Wizard. No promotions are available for her. She knows basically all the tactics in the game anyway. (Exceptions: Weather spells, Legend spells, Explosion/Tsunami/Boulder, Entice/Passion/Return (Diaochan has exclusive rights to those), and Shock/Sandstorm (eliminated from game))
---> Most economical seal use: N/A

Return to top

Song Xian

Each class promotion gives him an extra square of range. Don't be stingy---you need the long-range attacks. Give him a seal at your first opportunity to do so at Sishui, and don't wait too long to give him his second one. In fact, turning him into a Class 3 Archer is key to defeating Cao Cao (and thus getting a seal) in the Battle of Yingyang.

Return to top

Wei Xu

A cavalry unit just like Zhang Liao, but with way crappier stats (despite how he introduces himself). Since seals are at a premium, and you need to use two on him before you see any effect, take Song Xian's advice and ignore him until you have enough seals to spare.

Return to top

Zang Ba

Bandits come with Earth and Jeer. Class 2 Bandits gain Rocks and Class 3 Bandits get Boulder, the ultimate Earth-element tactic. But I don't think I've been desperate enough to rely on Zang Ba to use a tactic. He gains 1 movement point at his second promotion, but it really isn't that cost-effective. Give him seals only if you have enough to spare.

Return to top

Zhang Liao

Cavalry units don't gain any spectacular advantage with class promotions until their third class, in which they gain 1 movement point and diagonal attack range. However, considering how Zhang Liao is a pillar of strength in Lu Bu's forces, give him 2 seals as soon as you can spare them.

Return to top

Zhang Ren (Red Path only)

He joins you pretty late in the game, but save 2 seals for him. Class 3 Catapults = Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Return to top
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: Legend of Lu Bu walkthrough - Class Promotion

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:23 pm

So these promotions just make your officers stronger? they will not be given a new rank or position?
Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Well, they get a new class name and extra abilities...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Well, they get a new class name and extra abilities...

alrighty then I like it :)
Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to KMA Articles