Three Kingdoms Media (In Progress/Incomplete)

A special forum in which articles are transformed into articles at Kongming’s Archives. (Learn More)

Moderator: Kongming’s Archives Editors

Re: Three Kingdoms Media (In Progress/Incomplete)

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Wan Er wrote:James pointed out this project to me, so here I am!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Welcome to the project!

Wan Er wrote:It's a good idea to have a compilation of all available media that features 3 kingdoms background and characters. Would you also consider including songs and poetry?

At the moment, since the project is still in its infancy, I would have to say that I wouldn't recommend doing this at the moment, simply because we aren't even near the completion of the things we already listed so far. Adding more categories will just complicate the project at the moment. Maybe in the future, we can consider adding this. (Unless, of course, the other editors want to add this)

Wan Er wrote: think it would be a good addition to allow members to submit reviews with more detail about these media rather than just synopses, and compare them with the story of the three kingdoms, especially for the anime, which we all know are frightfully incorrect but some people actually believe them to be an 'informational source on Chinese history' :shock: (well we could point out which parts actually adhere to 3kingdoms, for starters, since there are probably too many inaccuracies to list)

In fact, if I get time, I might try to contribute a review and commentary for Resurrection of the Dragon.

We have already considered reviews. If you would like to contribute a review, then by all means do so. I think James and Butters were all for giving reviews (Its been awhile, and I forget things) so write one and we'll see how it works.

Update

I've added the first manga entry - The Ravages of Time. I've actually found an "official" synopsis, at least one that was used in multiple websites.

Also, James, or anyone in the know, how does one make a thumbnail of an image?
It might help the project have a little more life if I can give it some photos!
One more thing, for the pictures, should I just grab screenshots from random websites or should try to find "official" ones as well?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Mikhail wrote:Also, James, or anyone in the know, how does one make a thumbnail of an image?
It might help the project have a little more life if I can give it some photos!
One more thing, for the pictures, should I just grab screenshots from random websites or should try to find "official" ones as well?

Screenshots official or otherwise are fair game. Just aim for consistency.
Thumbnails could be a little tricky. I suppose you could use Photobucket (make sure it isn't compressing pictures any more than they already have been -- or upload relevant original picture files as attachments [perhaps in a zip file] so they are available in top form for the page when it goes online).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 pm

James wrote:Screenshots official or otherwise are fair game. Just aim for consistency.
Thumbnails could be a little tricky. I suppose you could use Photobucket (make sure it isn't compressing pictures any more than they already have been -- or upload relevant original picture files as attachments [perhaps in a zip file] so they are available in top form for the page when it goes online).

Ok, I got a thumbnail to work with photobucket for the Manga section. Opinions?

Also, when you say consistency, can you elaborate?

Furthermore, should I make some sort of like SoSZ photobucket account or something? That way anyone could upload there and its easier to manage, as well as all the pictures will be from one area? Of course, only the higher ups have access to it or something...
Mikhail

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Go with whatever idea works best. Ultimately the media will be on KMA's server.

By consistency I mean screenshots should be of relative quality. If we have some great 800x600 screenshots from a movie there's no sense in introducing some 300x240 low-quality screenshots found elsewhere.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mikhail » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 pm

James wrote:Go with whatever idea works best. Ultimately the media will be on KMA's server.

By consistency I mean screenshots should be of relative quality. If we have some great 800x600 screenshots from a movie there's no sense in introducing some 300x240 low-quality screenshots found elsewhere.

Ok! Awesome, thanks for the answer. Follow-up. Does the screenshots have to be of uniform shape? For example, do they have to be a horizontal/vertical rectangle picture (or square), or can they just be a bunch of random shapes?

i.e. You know how the Koutetsu Sangokushi's pictures are all of random shapes while The Ravages of Time is just one uniform vertical rectangle...

Small Update

Added screenshots to Resurrection of the Dragon and a title picture for the RotK TV serial. Also changed the Koutetsu Sangokushi pictures and made them thumbnails.

Finding pictures for the TV series is a little more challenging. All of them are quite small (bordering around 300x300 pixels) so I'm not sure if I should include them or not.

Don't know if there is an official poster for the Red Cliff movie. I've seen one with Sun Quan, but I'm not sure if that's the best picture we should use.
Mikhail

Unread postby Wan Er » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 am

Mikhail wrote:
Don't know if there is an official poster for the Red Cliff movie. I've seen one with Sun Quan, but I'm not sure if that's the best picture we should use.

I believe the official poster is the one with Tony Leung (Zhou Yu) and Takeshi Kaneshiro (Zhuge Liang) on it, and small pics of the other characters below them, cos' it's plastered all over the cinemas and the newspapers in my country.

Edit: For some reason, all I can find online are individual character posters. You might wish to use this one though:
http://news.stareastasia.com/war-of-the ... iff-poster
Wan Er
Tyro

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:09 am

I'm sure everyone has seen the lack of updates that has occurred so far in the past month. For now, I'll be putting this project on hold so there probably wont be any updates for some time from me. However, anyone interested in continuing this project, please feel free to alter as you wish. It would be great for the website to have this project nearer to completion so I hope that this project will be finished sometime in the future...
Mikhail

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:38 am

Alright, first off, I apologize for bumping a pretty old thread. I figured it would be better than making a new thread though.

An addition to Three Kingdoms anime has come to my attention thanks to DrewTheDude: Souten Kouro. From what I can tell, in English the title is something equivalent to "Blue Heaven Will Fall" (in reference to the Han's destruction). The anime focuses on Cao Cao, but Liu Bei, Sun Jian and other heroes make appearances. Naturally the anime takes many liberties with history, but what surprised me was the fact that the anime tries to get a lot of other things right. Some relatively obscure Late-Han characters are featured such as Chen Fan, Jian Shuo, Xu Rong and Zhang Mancheng. The anime makes some curious references to the Liang Rebellion and the Great Proscriptions as well.

Generally speaking, the anime is slightly more realistic than something like Koutetsu Sangokushi (which focused on Lu Xun/Wu) or other three kingdoms based anime. Souten Kouru is also VERY entertaining. Cao Cao is a badass. Liu Bei is a charismatic, carefree and lovable guy. Yuan Shao is kind of an everyman (or everynoble perhaps?) who tries very hard but always finds himself two steps behind Cao Cao. This anime also probably has one of the most sympathetic portrayals of Dong Zhou. He is shown as ruthless, but also cunning, calm and capable. If anything, Dong Zhou's character closely resembles Cao Cao. The side characters are actually pretty interesting too.

I think this one's definitely worth a watch for people who enjoy anime. However, I must warn the more sensitive viewer that it is filled with violence, gore and swearing. Screenshots:

The opening

Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun

Yuan Shu

Yuan Shao and some subordinates. Yuan Shao is my favorite character thus far.

Sun Jian

Liu Bei and Guan Yu. Liu Bei is my second favorite character.

Dong Zhou
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am

That sounds so awesome!

Are you aware of any fansubs of the anime or fantrans of the manga...?

Also, if this project is still alive, it should include the new Sanguo TV series. ;) *shameless plug*
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 am

I don't know about the manga at the moment, but I believe these guys are the ones who are subbing the anime. I saw some video on youtube that said they were going to do episode 13 soon.

I gotta get on that new TV series too. It's definitely on my to-do-list. Looks fantastic.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to KMA Articles