Kongming’s Archives Articles: General Discussion

A special forum in which articles are transformed into articles at Kongming’s Archives. (Learn More)

Moderator: Kongming’s Archives Editors

Re: Kongming’s Archives Articles: General Discussion

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat May 17, 2008 5:25 am

Question. Does the article in question already have to exist in the KMA or could we create one?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby James » Sat May 17, 2008 5:44 am

You can just create one. :)

I saw the one you tossed together before it vanished. I didn't get to see the code you used, but wonderful job picking up on the format from the other topics! You are welcome to create a topic and experiment however you like. In order for it to be published to KMA I actually have to create a page over there, download an article to it through the program I'm working on, and... uh... that's it!

I hope to have things ready quite soon!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat May 17, 2008 5:48 am

Alright. Well, I think its bedtime now. I'll look over any comments you might have when i wake up.

To be honest, I actually copied and pasted over the format you used on your experiment page. I didn't know how to translate it properly using the messaging system here, so it took some time for me to properly type over all your writings to fit mine.

However, I might have gotten some of the coding wrong after rethinking about it, possibly on the 2nd and 3rd campaign names and whatnot.
Mikhail

Unread postby James » Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 am

I'll probably be spending my time coding the actual application for now. :)

I added some code explanations in response to your topic though. When I'm done I'll have described all the code in a way like that. There won't be much code to work with, basically BBCode for some very basic HTML. It is also good to know that any code you enter incorrectly has a good chance of showing up incorrectly on the actual page! Not only is the BBCode intended to translate into a document on KMA, it also translates into BBCode here (though it probably isn't a good idea to get in the habit of using it in regular posting).

Content is the very most important thing right now. It will be very easy to learn the code. :)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 am

Time for bed. I made a lot of progress! The KMA-side program now downloads the BBCode and translates it to HTML. I just need to work out all the metadata (keywords, description, etc.) and integrate it with the KMA template. Maybe I'll even be finished with it tomorrow and we'll be publishing our first article. And then on Sunday I'll goof off and watch movies!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun May 18, 2008 1:54 am

My sister just went to borrow a cart to move her crap out of her dorm, so I stole her laptop (temporarily). :twisted:

At first I wasn't quite sure how this would work (I had thought that even the comments would show up on the KMA page), but now having looked at a few examples I think this looks great!

Is it just games articles that this project is for?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sun May 18, 2008 2:31 am

Lady Wu wrote:At first I wasn't quite sure how this would work (I had thought that even the comments would show up on the KMA page), but now having looked at a few examples I think this looks great!

I didn't think I'd get to show this to you for a little while. :)
I've got complete control over how things translate over to Kongming's Archives. Each little tag we create here can interact with Kongming’s Archives in its own unique way (a good example would be comments being prominent here, but not even showing up at all, even in the source code, over at Kongming's Archives).

It may not work out too well for any pages which require extremely complicated layouts, but it can be made to work with almost anything else we are able to dream up. :)

Lady Wu wrote:Is it just games articles that this project is for?

Nope! This is for anything at all we want it to do. If we wanted to create pages for each historic book (Sanguozhi, Zizhi tongjian, Hou Han shu, etc.) we could do that here and anyone we've chosen to trust with editing rights will be able to update and improve on the articles over at Kongming's Archives just by editing posts here in the forum.

Best of all, this doesn't take too much time on my part, so if you, say, decided you wanted to introduce a whole new article about a game, for the novel section, or whatever, all you would have to do is come here and create a new topic then type out your article (or paste it in). Some basic markup tags could be applied for formatting and you could write out what you wanted of the header tags. When ready, I'd write the CSS needed to display the article (quite easy), apply some minor editing to the article here, add a new page at KMA (which essentially just contains a topic ID and the CSS), and then upload it. The article is then published and linked to Scholars of Shen Zhou. Even with all the coding I've done to put this together over the past few days publishing some of our little test articles here has been a trivial task.

I think it is working out better than I expected.
And it is easy to make these things look good over at KMA, too.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun May 18, 2008 2:39 am

James wrote:I think it is working out better than I expected.
And it is easy to make these things look good over at KMA, too.

Hate to sound so negative, but is it really working out? While its true that all the coding and all your initial programing problems have been fixed and the first few pages have finally been worked out, there still has been very little in the way of participation from the other forum members. It could most likely be attributed to this idea being so "young" in essence, but I would have thought that there would at least be some suggestions now. Maybe in a few days then?
Mikhail

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:59 am

It's only been a little while, give it some time. I'm sure people just need to be aware of the idea first.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun May 18, 2008 3:10 am

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:It's only been a little while, give it some time. I'm sure people just need to be aware of the idea first.

It barely got any attention as an announcement. While I do agree that its probably because the project is still in its infancy, at the moment, I'm not as optimistic as James. Though I hope I'll be proven wrong.
Mikhail

PreviousNext

Return to KMA Articles