Destiny of an Emperor: Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Do you recommend Destiny of an Emperor?

Yes
79%
No
1%
Unsure
2%
Never Played It
19%

Total votes : 121

Re: Destiny of an Emperor: Discussion Thread

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 pm

**Was looking for some testers for my DOAE Lu Bu Mod. **

Is this the right thread? I am on the Lord Yuan Shu forums as well and have posted the same question. The mod includes many tweaks that make the game more interesting for those who have played it so many times they cannot even count. It uses DOAE 2.0 as a base and takes the story in a similar but different direction. Just need a fresh set of eyes. Thanks!
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby yuriah » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I am trying the DoaE 2.0 remake again. Several times I encountered what I believe to be a glitch with Zhang Fei's agility score once I enter Yuan Shu's territory at Chapter 3. No matter what I try Zhang Fei acts last in battle. This occurs even when fighting the wimpy bandits in the starting area of the game, the same ones he always acted before up till then. Even with Chi Tu Ma in his inventory he is still very slow and most bandits/rebel/pirate forces will act before him. This has happened on multiple computers & with several emulators. This is really killing the fun of the game. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
yuriah
Tyro

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:22 pm

yuriah wrote:I am trying the DoaE 2.0 remake again. Several times I encountered what I believe to be a glitch with Zhang Fei's agility score once I enter Yuan Shu's territory at Chapter 3. No matter what I try Zhang Fei acts last in battle. This occurs even when fighting the wimpy bandits in the starting area of the game, the same ones he always acted before up till then. Even with Chi Tu Ma in his inventory he is still very slow and most bandits/rebel/pirate forces will act before him. This has happened on multiple computers & with several emulators. This is really killing the fun of the game. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I've heard of some various agility bugs like this. Do you happen to have a game where Zhang Fei's agility is such? If so, would you mind going to earlier areas of the game to see if his agility behaves any more properly? Also, try taking Red Hare off to see if his agility actually improves.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Here is what is wrong.

In DOAE 2.0, the agility levels have been modified from the original game. Every chapter, the 5 tigers + Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong gain, yes *gain* agility every chapter. There are 8 chapters in the game. Believe it or not, in Shu, officers have the highest agility bump, and it actually decreases in Wu, then bumps up again in Wei, but it is still LOWER than Chapter 6 levels which is Shu. As the talented people over @ lordyuanshu.com/forums have been hacking DOAE, we stumbled upon these interesting things about DOAE

If an officers agility EXCEEDS 255, it resets to 0 and beings counting up again. In DOAE 2.0, Zhang Fei starts off with 180 agility and I believe after testing this myself, the HIGHEST an agility-leveling officer can have is 122 -> 254 agility in chapter 6 which is the highest agility bump in the game, obviously showing the officers advantage in Shu. if you give a tiger officer 180 agility in chapter 1, they will "wrap around" back to 0 and have like 50 agility in chapter 6. Make sense? In DOAE 2.0, all the "Tigers" except Zhao Yun and Zhuge Liang/ Pang Tong are like this. Essentially, DOAE 2.0 is bugged by giving the 5 tiger officers over 122 agility and TOO high agility levels that reset in the latter chapters as well, therefore, that is why your officers always wind up going last. It was probably a simple mistake of testing that when James programmed it, he was only looking @ Chapter 8 agility values, not realizing that 6 is actually higher than 8.

In the Rise of Lu Bu Mod I stumbled upon all this and managed this fix. In Rise of Ieyasu and some other DOAE mods we use Agility not just for determining turn order, but also to allow BONUS attacks!

sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:46 pm

That's interesting. When I prepared the mod it was before we had discovered those things. Do you happen to have links to the technical details and perhaps even to some of the changes you made in your mod (a fix or double attacks)?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 pm

The fix is easy, just download DOAEditor and we can modify agility MUCH easier than going through the hex, granted you can still do that as well. You might get an error though upon opening DOAE 2.0, it will say "unknown key" though with the latest version, not sure if that will cause any issues but you can test it afterwards just to be sure.

Max agility for 5 tigers + ZGL and Pang Tong is 122 I believe if you dont want them to top out. Red Hare doubles agility and maxes it out @ 255, granted, if your guy is over 255, they will wrap around to 0, then red hare effects will be applied.

Here is the list of everything that has been compiled so far. Agility-based attacks is what you're look for if you want to gain hits/take hits based on agility. We've even been able to change the music around now too :)

We just needed a place where everyone could compile their DOAE hacking expertise since relying on individuals to share their hard drives was just too hard...

http://www.lordyuanshu.com/forums/topic/destiny-of-an-emperor-rom-hacking-guide-1
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby yuriah » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the information on the agility problem. I was detecting that the agility score may have been changing as the game progressed and possibly wrapping around to 0, but having no programming experience I was having difficulty reading the code in the debugger to verify this. I will edit his agility down to <122 and see if that fixes the problem. I also noticed the problem creeping into other characters as the game progressed. I will simply adjust those values as well when the problem shows up. This will make the mod even more enjoyable. Thanks for the good mod and the help.
yuriah
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Yep, I believe it was ludmeister that found the agility growth stuff. The details are in the rom hacking guide but it looks like lordyuanshu.com is down right now :(
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm

The DOAE hacking gods brought it down just to spite us!
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Here we go it's back up. Go here:

http://www.lordyuanshu.com/forums/topic ... post-25211

Then scroll down to... "Some interesting things about Agility that placing Agility in the status screen has gleaned..."
MiDKnighT
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games