Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi (15)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi (15)

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:26 pm

So apparently I'm very much out of the loop these days. I was unaware that a new Nobunaga's Ambition game had even been released in Japan, and now it's here and translated to English for PC and Steam already. How did I not hear of this?

Has anyone played it? The reviews on Steam are much like RTK13s were, as apparently the game was released with a lot of issues that have since (hopefully) been patched out. I want to jump in and try, but $70 Canadian is still a lot to be investing...
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Re: Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi (15)

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I didn't know it got translated, though I heard about it's release.

Hmm...I pretty much jumped into SOI blindly and liked it a lot, but it had the PUK built in which no doubt added a lot to it. One english reviews says it's good if you liked SOI, and that the bad reviews were because of early issues that have been patched. I like the sound of features like drafting farmers to get more troops at the cost of your harvest.

On the other hand $70 Canadian is, as you said, a lot.

Difficult, difficult. I wish there was a demo.
Edit: Ah, I found a nice, lengthy video from a streamer I've seen before. It'll give me a better idea if I'd like it or not.
Link if anyone else wants to watch a 90 minute video as a replacement for a demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKg6BHyH7c
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm

The game has been out since November and I believe the English 'patch' was out yesterday. It does seem like it removed some of the things from the last game like siege battles and naval battles, which is a bit of a bummer. I may end up waiting and see if they release another version of it like they did with the last one and Ascension.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm

I've decided I'll give it a go--I liked most of what I saw in the stream. I'll post my thoughts after giving it some playtime after dinner tonight. If I decide this was a terrible mistake I'll let you all know. :lol:
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 pm

I look forward to your input. I started replaying accession again a few days ago (loaded up the save I was playing) and I was kind of getting a bit bored, then again I am the second in command of the Azai and I personally own four provinces while Nagamasa owns three of his own so we are quite big. I just finished taking the southern island while Nagamasa is laying into the Mori. It is only a matter of time before we win. I might try to play the Siege of Osaka as the Toyatomi to see how fast I get crushed.

The letter scenarios are really tough as the underdog factions.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 am

Very early first thoughts (after an hour or so):

One change from Koei's standards: INT now raises a unit's defense, while LEAD raises speed and morale. There's also now a "FOR" stat for diplomacy.

You can "read" other Daimyo's intentions to get an idea of what they're currently focusing on. Haven't experimented a ton with this yet.

Economy is more complicate than other NA (or ROTK) games I've played. You don't just "level up" a city's harvest and economy. Agriculture is based off several stats, which are balanced with your limited labor pool, limited access to seeds and fertilizer, and the fact you can only make certain agriculture commands in certain months.
For example, clearing more land gives more food and doesn't require anything but the labor--however you need to have enough "refugees" (people who aren't farming or soldiers basically) to turn into farmers. Also, castles get rather unhappy if they're not producing enough food to feed the population, so you probably shouldn't just ignore some castles.

Money is now based off "trade zones". You can move into a trade zone that is in your territory or the territory of a clan you have a trade agreement with--multiple clans competing for a zone means each only gets part of it's value, but the value improves more quickly, too. You can only make 1 investment a month by default but I've seen policies to increase it. You can form a monopoly on a trade zone to stop any other clan from getting in it, but this angers people who were already trading there. Also, depending on your Daimyo you may not have the option (Nobunaga can't).

There's also a facility system where you can place buildings in bases that don't have castles built (you can also build new castles). Bases that have a trade zone can receive a trade town to give you more money, you can build fortresses to give you army an advantage nearby, various training structures that give stat experience to officers in adjacent castles, ninja camps that hurt enemy armies nearby, and so on. These facilities can then be worked on further to improve their level and effect--so a level 3 trade town gives 3 times as much gold, though improving facilities takes more time and gold than new ones. How high level an officer can improve a facility depends on their stats and skills.

The army system is also more complicated--you have both militia and full time infantry. Militia are drafted from your farmers--they DO still work the fields but produce less food. They get upset if a battle drags on, but they're free. Infantry are paid per month but aren't as bothered by long campaigns, don't lower your harvest, and generally seem to be stronger (it might be possible to end up with militia being stronger if you choose certain options? I'm not sure).

Weird thing; NO ploys or covert actions! Very strange.

Diplomacy is sort of like SOI again--you send an officer to work diplomatically instead of just hurling tons of gold all at once. There's some new diplomacy options, though. You can ask them to dismantle a base or remove a monopoly on a trade zone.

Every few months you have a council where some of your officers give suggestions. You pick three of them. Suggestions give you "policy power" (basically research points) in any of the four areas of agriculture, commerce, military, and rhetoric (I find many suggestions give points in several). These suggestions also sometimes have other affects like improving unit speed until the next council. After you can spend policy power on "policies", which are basically technologies that give bonuses, like extra commercial acts each month, stronger troops, etc.

Clans have something called "Resolve" that gives them bonuses/penalties that can be unlocked by certain conditions and affects what policies you can enact. You can also gain new policies available after council from your retainers based off events (suggesting medicine after a disease, for instance), resources acquired in trade zones, what you've already enacted, the abilities of your officers, all sorts of things. When your Daimyo dies or retires your new one can choose to keep the previous Daimyo's resolve, or change it to their own. Doing that apparently cancels all your policies but refunds the policy points on them.

Haven't gotten into battle yet, but by streams they're back battles that take place in a single day and use a semi turn based (the battle pauses, you give orders, they're carried out in real time for a bit before you get the option to give new orders).

One interesting looking feature is it seems to include "war exhaustion"--if a war just keeps going on the population gets angry, even if you're winning, and you may need to make peace to settle things down. There's also a more overall "agression" level for a war--losing battles means your troops become less enthusiastic and have worse morale and will defend castles for less time, but if you win a very large scale battle against a more powerful enemy clan they get very invigorated.
Different battlefields also seem to have a troop limit (since you can't fit 200,000 men in a single mountain path), and also have terrain that weakens or strengthens cavalry and muskets (for instance, cavalry is weakened in forests).

Looks very interesting so far. The removal of intrigue is very strange and cynically quite possibly points at something being held back for the PUK.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games