The Official Warriors Orochi 4 thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: The Official Warriors Orochi 4 thread

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 am

The camp thing was something I didn't pay too much attention to until after I noticed it was gone now, it was nice to see some of the interactions with different characters, especially the ones that didn't get much story scenes or lines or anything. How do you think this game is in that regard? Does everyone get some kinda part/dialogue or are they just pushed aside right after appearing? Also how are weapons in the game, does everyone have their own unique weapons like in the older games and can upgrade them, or are there lots of duplicates?

:lol: I'm glad to see Yukimura's hair is fixed. I saw some comments from other people that had a similar thing in their own game. The worst for me was for any story scene that featured Yukimura and either Nobuyuki and Ina. Yukimura's hair would be floating above him when he talked, then be attached underneath Nobuyuki's and Ina's hair when they talked, it was amusing and disturbing at the same time :mrgreen: Anyways yeah, I had major problems getting some Koei games to run like Bladestorm and Toukidan, so it's nice to see they made some progress there, and also working on fixing stuff after release as well.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 am

I don’t really mind game play - like I’ve stuck with the Warriors series for a reason! As for the costumes they don’t impact my decision at all!

However the storyline concerns does! It must have been pretty short for you to complete it in like 24 hours? Hopefully we’ll get more content in dlcs and later versions of the game!

Who are the central Dynasty and Samurai Warriors characters to the plot? I think the reason WO1 is my favourite is due to the screen time Sun Ce got! :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:55 pm

From what I've been told Wu, Jin (no shock here :roll: ) and to a lesser extent Wei truly get the shaft this time around, so I doubt Sun Ce gets any spotlight.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:55 am

Sorry for the late response; been a tad ill.

I'll answer the questions you guys had. But first I want to say that I am a bit more optimistic about the game after my initial disappointment wore off. I still don't think it's worth any more than $30 USD, but I've had fun replaying stages with characters I barely ever use like the Guan kids and every SW character not named Tachibana.

* Every character gets a moment to chime in, but naturally only the most popular are particularly significant to the story, with most just being there for moments of fanservice. I hate giving spoilers for things so I don't want to give much more details on who's important and not, but I bet you can imagine who's at the top of the list. :lol: Though there were a few I was surprised to see get decent amounts of exposure, in the "Koei remembered they exist?!" sort of way.

I'll just say that if your favorites tend to be obscure characters, you won't be nerding out as much as the fans of the "mainstream" characters. Though that's pretty typical of the franchise.

I think WO4 does a worse job giving every character a cool moment compared to Warriors All-Stars, but that may be an unfair comparison considering WO4's roster is like quadruple the size.

* Every character indeed has a unique weapon, since this is based on DW8 and SW4. There is no shared weapons like DW9 has. And yeah you can get upgraded weapons. There's actually a pretty cool system where you can tell other officers to go train for EXP and search for weapons and such between missions, which helps you keep other characters to the same level of the ones you use most often.

* The story is indeed short, especially if you don't do all the side quests. If I had to estimate, subtracting my time spent in side quests and in replaying missions, I'd say the story is only around 10 hours. For comparison sake, my friend got all 40 or so achievements after about 30 hours, and that's including beating the game again on higher difficulties. This, and the lack of other modes, is the primary reason I recommend you wait for a pricedrop.

And for Sun Fin:
STORY SPOILER
Sun Ce becomes available quite late in the game. :cry:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:09 am

It's fine for the late reply, and hopefully you are feeling better :(
It's good though that the game grew you on a little. I'm sure I would like it too since I do like most of the characters, my favorite being Nō, so I'm used to having favorites get brushed aside quickly :mrgreen:
Although now I'm wondering about the everyone not named Tachibana thing lol.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer everything, it actually does seem more interesting to me too (and hearing about the actual weapon system is a bit of a relief that they didn't change it), although with how very short it seems, I will probably wait for a price drop like you suggested.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:26 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Sorry for the late response; been a tad ill.

Sorry to hear that! Hope you're feeling better now!

Jia Nanfeng wrote:* Every character gets a moment to chime in, but naturally only the most popular are particularly significant to the story, with most just being there for moments of fanservice. I hate giving spoilers for things so I don't want to give much more details on who's important and not, but I bet you can imagine who's at the top of the list. :lol: Though there were a few I was surprised to see get decent amounts of exposure, in the "Koei remembered they exist?!" sort of way.

I'll just say that if your favorites tend to be obscure characters, you won't be nerding out as much as the fans of the "mainstream" characters. Though that's pretty typical of the franchise.

I think WO4 does a worse job giving every character a cool moment compared to Warriors All-Stars, but that may be an unfair comparison considering WO4's roster is like quadruple the size.

That is to be expected, sadly. Back luck DaoLun although I guess Wang Yuanji will get some time at least based on this. I think you are right, comparing to All-Stars is a tad unfair, how does it compare to WO3 which has a comparable size cast?

Jia Nanfeng wrote:* The story is indeed short, especially if you don't do all the side quests. If I had to estimate, subtracting my time spent in side quests and in replaying missions, I'd say the story is only around 10 hours. For comparison sake, my friend got all 40 or so achievements after about 30 hours, and that's including beating the game again on higher difficulties.

When you say side quests do you mean levels that aren't part of the main story but are still require to unlock every character? I tend to consider them part of the story so that would be fine!

Jia Nanfeng wrote:And for Sun Fin:
STORY SPOILER
Sun Ce becomes available quite late in the game. :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Why do they do this to us! I would have said Ce was one of the popular characters within the fandom! Please say they've left him his tonfas at least?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 pm

The Dynasty Warriors characters are based on Dynasty Warriors 8, so yes, Sun Ce wields his Tonfas.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:59 am

Valvatorez wrote:Although now I'm wondering about the everyone not named Tachibana thing lol.

What I meant was I am replaying stages with characters I rarely use. Which includes the entire SW cast outside of the two Tachibanas because they are the only SW characters I used in my playthrough outside of those required for stages. :lol:

Sun Fin wrote:I think you are right, comparing to All-Stars is a tad unfair, how does it compare to WO3 which has a comparable size cast?

I missed out on WO3, sadly. So I am not a good one to ask about that. :oops:

Sun Fin wrote:When you say side quests do you mean levels that aren't part of the main story but are still require to unlock every character?

If I recall correctly, there aren't any characters that are unlocked by side quests. They are mostly just there to give characters not relevant to the story a bit extra time in the spotlight. (For that reason they may end up being the most fun part.)

Sun Fin wrote:
Please say they've left him his tonfas at least?

He has the tonfas, yes.
Any weapon a character used in DW8 is what they have here.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Finished the story and side stories. Still need to get some objectives as well as 20 stages on chaotic though. So here are my thoughts.
Overall slightly above average. Much worse than WO3U.
Story. Several times I actually got immersed in what was happening onscreen. The presentation is not on the DW7 level of storytelling of course, but the story itself is to my liking. Except for the Wei officers being somewhat ignored of course :)
Music. Not too many new tracks, but for some reason my most favourite ones are used or remixed. In Full Bloom, Arena, Desire to Fight, Eve, Welcome to China. I guess I'm just lucky.
Character interactions. I wish I could understand japanese really. There's a lot going on in battles. Zhang Fei and Goemon were probably most entertaining in their side mission. I actually really pitied Zhang Fei. His VA did a decent job in portraying the emotions going through his character. Nobunaga mocking Hideyoshi consistently was quite entertaining as well.
To the bad things then. Camp...Terrible. Absolutely terrible. A real pain when you want to find a particular character among 170. Not to mention that any kind of immersion is just not there without a WO3 or DW8 hub.
Magic. I hate when Omega Force replaces certain elements from previous games instead of simply adding new mechanics on top of existing. R1 specials were unique to all characters in the previous game. Magic is not however. 10 characters with Trident have exactly the same normal and charge magic attacks. Except for Musou Magic, but it replaces unique 3rd musou for DW characters as well. Why can't they simply keep the R1 specials and use directional buttons for magic or L1+... is beyond my understanding.
Extra modes. Aside from supposed pvp, which I never tried nor interested in, there are none. I love gauntlet mode in WO3U. And the duel mode was quite fun as well. Sadly, there's nothing in WO4. I guess some will be added with dlcs later though.
Skill trees. Would be nice if they were unique to each character. They are not unfortunately. Items and skills (like Thrift) are gone, but the effects could've been incorporated into the skill trees. Like Goemon automatically being able to collect nearby items or Ma Chao being able to repel arrows while mounted. Sadly the items have been replaced with...nothing. There are few exceptions like being able to guard from behind for example.
Maps. I don't mind the assets being reused. It's fine with me if the very same map from DW2 is being reused in every warriors game. I'm cool with that. As long as it's not reused 4 times in the very same game :x
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm

The first bit of DLC was announced today. A time attack arena where you have to defeat as many opponents as possible. (Similar to DW8XL's challenge modes.) Should've been in the main game, but this is the era of "buying incomplete games."

As you progress destroying pawns, officers will show up as well with increasingly difficulty, with Big Boyz like Orochi and Honda coming later.

Some actual bonus modes is most welcome. :mrgreen: Also a good way to try out underused characters.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games