The Official Warriors Orochi 4 thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: The Official Warriors Orochi 4 thread

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:09 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Leaked gameplay featuring Zues, Lu Xun and Ii Naotora.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFfe_AxaX2g

I hold the super unpopular opinion that WO 3 wasn't that good so I am not too excited about this game. Those flashy moves looked cool though I will admit. Not sure how excited I am for Zeus though :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

I think Zeus being a pretty boy is historically sound but I was expecting a more badass depiction. :P

Gameplay looks great so far!

The release date in Japan is Sept. 27 for console and Oct. 16 for PC. Didn't they say this would release simultaneously worldwide? I wonder if those will be the Western dates as well.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm

This released in the US today and will come out in Europe later in the week, anyone bought/buying it?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Skipping this one, sorry. Very linear storyline from what I've heard, but the dealbreaker for me is the lack of a dub. I like all the character interactions in the Warriors games, and that's pretty much the whole point of Orochi in particular, but having to read them all out during gameplay is just too distracting for me to be able to enjoy it. I want to be able to concentrate on the killing and listen to the dialogue.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 am

Sun Fin wrote:This released in the US today and will come out in Europe later in the week, anyone bought/buying it?

I plan to get it tomorrow.

A bit disappointed that 99% of the DLC costumes are directly from DW8/SW4. And not the good ones... they chose the immersion-breaking "modern tennis player" and "sushi chef" types. I was hoping for some new costumes to buy but at least I'll save a lot of money on DLC this time around. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:39 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:Skipping this one, sorry. Very linear storyline from what I've heard, but the dealbreaker for me is the lack of a dub. I like all the character interactions in the Warriors games, and that's pretty much the whole point of Orochi in particular, but having to read them all out during gameplay is just too distracting for me to be able to enjoy it. I want to be able to concentrate on the killing and listen to the dialogue.

I get that, the new character interactions is what I love too. It's why the WO games are my favourite Koei product, however the lack of dub doesn't upset me as I have it on mute with my own music playing anyway. :oops:

Jia Nanfeng wrote:A bit disappointed that 99% of the DLC costumes are directly from DW8/SW4. And not the good ones... they chose the immersion-breaking "modern tennis player" and "sushi chef" types. I was hoping for some new costumes to buy but at least I'll save a lot of money on DLC this time around. :lol:

Yeah DLC costumes don't excite me at all! Especially not 'immersion-breaking' ones! I'm wtill enjoying WO3 Ultimate and so will probably wait for them to release the all-inclusive version of this in a year or twos time!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Even though I have never played this series, all this talk about DLC costumes has me thinking...can I play Lu Bu in a Gudetama outfit???

No?.......

...maybe Mashimaro........no.........???

I mean I'd settle for him a furry pink bunny outfit, too. :(
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:01 pm

I've spent adequate time with WO4. My review:

1. It's mediocre. Not bad by any means, not great by any means. It just kinda exists.
2. Wait for a price drop. At the very most $30 USD, though $20 USD may be even better.
3. As far as Koei's "dream match" games are concerned, I feel WO4 is the most generic entry.

The gameplay is as expected. Characters are copy-pasted from DW8 and SW4, right down to even the DLC costumes (though there is one unique costume pack, albeit expensive). Personally I don't really mind essentially playing those games again, since I found both DW8 and SW4 to have very fun movesets and animations, but I understand if others wanted at least some differences. (Reminder: DW9 character additions are not in this game.)

The only major gameplay change is the addition of magic attacks. These are quite powerful, sometimes to the point of making fights too easy, but I'll be dang'd if they don't look cool.

Story is my biggest issue, as short as it is. I just didn't care at all about the Greek gods, and they stole the limelight from the characters the community actually cares about far too much. The story is stereotypical deus ex machina. The game falls flat whenever the Greeks are involved; the scenes where Dynasty favorites are all sassy with Samurai favorites is where it truly shines -- as long as you don't mind reading them mid-battle.
SPOILERS: First cutscene of the game, for those who want to know more
Zeus apparently was watching the past Orochi battles. He wants to do it a fourth time, but this time it's for reals. He has magical bracelets for some reason that grant god powers. All heck breaks loose because Zeus is incompetent and Perseus is a fangirl.

Post-game there's not much to do other than replay past chapters with new team combos, or playing in a generic arena thing that I never really bothered to try after the confusing and boring tutorial (I think it's mainly online anyway). There is no Free mode, though replaying chapters kind of replaces that. And honestly, being able to replay chapters with new team combos is very welcome, since that's exactly what All-Stars sorely lacked.

WO4 is perhaps most appealing due to its gameplay being of the classic formula versus the recent DW9. Who knows, this may be the last-hurrah for that style of gameplay.

Overall, it is a mediocre Warriors game. I'd suggest just playing WO3 or All-Stars in the meantime for your dream-match fix, even if the latter only has 7 Warriors characters, and wait for WO4 to have a significant price drop. (If you don't have All-Stars yet, it's only like $10 USD on PS4 right now.)

Performance:
I played the Steam version. On the scale of awful nigh-unplayable Koei ports (Spirit of Sanada) to smooth-as-butter Koei ports (Warriors All-Stars), WO4 lands closer to the latter side. There is some slight framerate issues due to the in-game vsync being buggy (hence I had to use the Nvidia CP instead), but Koei has already said they are fixing it soon.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:42 am

Nice, thanks for the review Jia Nanfeng :D
I decided to skip this for the time being (DW 9 still has me spooked even though I've yet to play it and makes me worry about future games). The extra modes and stuff missing is a bit of a letdown honestly, even basic stuff like walking around in camp. I was actually hoping the DW 9 characters and even characters from Spirit of Sanada like Chacha and others would eventually find their way into the next Orochi game, so was already disappointed somewhat back when we talked about the characters in the game from the picture. I'm wondering though, have you played with any of the Greek characters and are they any fun/different to play as? And since you are also playing on pc, I have a very important question to ask as well...Is Yukimaru's hair actually attached to his head? :mrgreen: Whenever I played SW-2 on pc, his hair always would float 10 feet above his head, hopefully it fell down to his head this time.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:41 am

Valvatorez wrote:Nice, thanks for the review Jia Nanfeng :D
I decided to skip this for the time being (DW 9 still has me spooked even though I've yet to play it and makes me worry about future games). The extra modes and stuff missing is a bit of a letdown honestly, even basic stuff like walking around in camp. I was actually hoping the DW 9 characters and even characters from Spirit of Sanada like Chacha and others would eventually find their way into the next Orochi game, so was already disappointed somewhat back when we talked about the characters in the game from the picture. I'm wondering though, have you played with any of the Greek characters and are they any fun/different to play as? And since you are also playing on pc, I have a very important question to ask as well...Is Yukimaru's hair actually attached to his head? :mrgreen: Whenever I played SW-2 on pc, his hair always would float 10 feet above his head, hopefully it fell down to his head this time.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that basic things like a camp are gone. Even All-Stars has that. The between-chapters menu is pretty basic and just features your team standing in the background. Though the music during this section is amazing.

I've played with the Greek characters yeah. They are fun because of how much damage and how much crowd control they have. Athena in particular has some beautiful charge and musou attacks that I like.

As for Yukimaru's hair... I never got that glitch in SW4-2! I haven't used him much in WO4 but I haven't noticed any floating hair during battles. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games