Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:04 am

I love the Total War series so I don't see why I wouldn't get it. More scenarios are always welcome.

There is some FLC coming out at the same time, it probably will be for the main game, something small I assume, some additional unique models for characters, perhaps even a new playable faction.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Jordan wrote:My opinion is that this DLC isn't zero sum. They can add it and continue to add more content to the Three Kingdoms period scenario(s). And I personally think they will. I think they wanted to get this one out first so they could auspiciously release it on August 8th.

Oh they will certainly add to three kingdoms (free DLC has been promised), I suspect it will be two separate teams each building up the two strands.

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:There is some FLC coming out at the same time, it probably will be for the main game, something small I assume, some additional unique models for characters, perhaps even a new playable faction.

Wise move to prevent howls of outrage, will be curious to see what it is.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Alongisde Eight Princes is free content for the base game:
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... e_content/

New units: Cataphracts and Heavy Cataphracts for Vanguards
Mounted Crossbows for strategists
Heavy mounted archers for everyone
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm

They also mollified a lot of the critics of this dlc, announcing that they do plan on still releasing add-ons to the main campaign such as new factions. It seems like they have a multi-pronged approach where they want to introduce new scenarios aside from just the main one, but also do plan on improving the main one too.

I'm very happy with this approach. As much as I like 3k stuff, I find other periods of Chinese history interesting as well. I'm glad to see Creative Assembly experimenting with things rather than going down an obvious and unimaginative path.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm

In my opinion I think some of the anger comes from the fact that the first post release DLC is a different time period so some people went a bit overboard with the complaints.
I think most knew that CA would release more content for the main game but some just enjoy complaining. The people who are really angry about the DLC won't care that CA has promised to release more content for the main game because they knew that already.

While not being as DLC crazy as companies like Paradox Creative Assembly is well known for adding plenty of paid DLC to their games. I don't believe that anyone really thought that CA wouldn't add a ton of DLC for purchase that would affect the main campaign. I mean look at Warhammer, Rome 2, etc.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:02 pm

I hope I didn't come across as angry?

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I can’t believe they’re actually going Western Jin and beyond. I can’t believe JIA NANFENG is going to be in a game! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wonder if she will be the "unlock when you achieve certain tasks" figure like Dong Zhuo

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:While not being as DLC crazy as companies like Paradox Creative Assembly is well known for adding plenty of paid DLC to their games. I don't believe that anyone really thought that CA wouldn't add a ton of DLC for purchase that would affect the main campaign. I mean look at Warhammer, Rome 2, etc.

Yes but now we can complain about the money gouging of DLC instead :P
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:48 pm

I've heard that elephants and zhanmadao (gigantic swords used as some kind of anti-cav weapon?) are in the game files. :)

Doesn't mean that this is what this FLC will be about; I highly doubt that. But I expect we'll see these units appear at some point down the line.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:01 am

Jordan wrote:I've heard that elephants and zhanmadao (gigantic swords used as some kind of anti-cav weapon?) are in the game files. :)

Doesn't mean that this is what this FLC will be about; I highly doubt that. But I expect we'll see these units appear at some point down the line.

I've seen some of the elephant data myself while modding. I'd be amazed if we don't get Nanman with Elephants at some point.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:34 pm

I don't think Nanman would be a surprise (though with elephants in file, now would be a surprise if they aren't in it :wink: ), they provide something rather different to the other factions thanks to the novel and it was an addition a lot of people seemed to want.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a pretty good idea of who all the princes are, based on official reveals, details on the steam page, knowledge of the period and the trailer.

From left to right:

Far left is Sima Liang. Shown first talking with Sima Wei and then being the unwitting victim of Sima Wei coming at him with a knife behind his back. I consider Sima Liang to be the good prince who did nothing wrong (Sima Ai seems to be considered the good guy elsewhere).

Next in blue and in the background is probably Sima Ying. He's the only strategist class character out of this bunch.

Third is the usurper Sima Lun.

Fourth with the red hat is Sima Wei. Behind him is Jia Nanfeng.

I personally think leopard boy, to the right of Sima Wei in the foreground, is Sima Jiong. The only other possibility is Sima Yong. Leopard boy would have to be somebody aligned with Sima Ying based on the trailer. I believe another character is Sima Yong, so this likely leaves Sima Jiong as the leopard boy.

Behind Sima Jiong in the background, in green, is Sima Ai. He is generally considered to be the good prince.

Even further in the background and to the right of Sima Ai is probably Sima Yong. I base this on the trailer and history, as historically Sima Yong's general was the captor of Sima Ai. Sima Ai was burned to death by Zhang Fang, and this is alluded to in the trailer. Sima Ai tries to protect the people of the capital, but Sima Yong orders a round of flaming shot from his trebs. The trailer also draws a comparison between princes who serve the people and those that serve themselves; among the princes, I view Sima Yong and Sima Yue as the absolutely most deplorable. The description of a prince who serves himself certainly seems to fit Sima Yong.

Finally to the far right is Sima Yue, I think. I base this mostly on the coloring. He's the only Sentinel. Sentinels usually wear the purple robes. It also seems appropriate that he shows up at the end of the trailer, as he was the ultimate victor.

I have some mixed feelings on a few things. It seems that the princes are the only unique characters here, which is a disappointment for me, even if it's only an aesthetic one. I feel like certain characters such as Sun Xiu, Zhang Fang, Sima Yun and certain others should have been legendaries. It would have also been nice to have seen or been able to play some of the non-Chinese warlords crafting their own states, such as Li Te in Sichuan, Murong Hui in the Northeast or the Xiongnu leader Liu Yuan. On the plus side, the map looks a bit more balanced this time around...I think.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games