Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:24 am

Sakae Wu wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:I was thinking about writing a guide to army composition and winning field and siege battles but I'm not sure if anyone is interested. Any thoughts?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be very interested any guides you'd care to post. Especially composition and formations. And best ways to deal with towers.
I felt I did pretty well in most battles from past strategy game experiences. Not as familiar with RTS as much as turned based. I'm still learning the pros and cons of certain formations and the best spots for units like spears on the flanks or such. Your earlier posts were helpful also.
I'm surprised how fast you're going through the campaigns. 5th one now? I've spent over an hour on one turn and still botched things up haha.

Diplomacy and economics are taking some getting used to in my games. So far, I think it's a much better game than I thought it would be.

Liu Bei is the only campaign I've finished; late-game in grand strategy like this tends to get tedious so once I figure I've got into the winning position I'll usually start a new campaign or play something else. I also tend to jump around a lot in general to test out different rulers or how different opening strategies work. Took a number of 20 or 30 turn tests to get the hand of 3K.

For a quick note on towers (I'll post something more thorough when I can write it out--I want to talk about some controls and mechanics the game doesn't really explain well)--there's actually a few ways to handle them if you have the right characters on hand. Best way is generally fire, either from flaming arrows or the flaming shot from a trebuchet (in general the stone shot is only good at destroying walls, I've found, with the flaming shot being clearly superior in other situations). Even when it's raining this works.
When attacking a minor settlement, if you have a trebuchet the AI will often decide you can just shoot him to death and send all the troops out to attack you instead. If they don't you can wheel the trebuchet to just outside the towers range to maximize accuracy. They won't do this in major cities, though, and the towers being elevated seems to make the trebuchet even less accurate. However, the AI often doesn't build the garrison structure so a city can be easier to take than you think if you have some fire arrow archers or high level trebuchets capable of hitting the tower.

If you don't have fire you can delegate the attack if the game says you'll win, or starve them a bit --AI armies will often sortie once they run out of food (which is instantly for minor settlements) then you can crush them in the field to make the attack much easier.

Commanders, Strategists, and Sentinels can all unlock fire arrows so the skill is readily available. So if you have flaming arrows you send two archer units to approach a tower (mouse over towers to see their range and do your best to only let on shoot at you) to shoot it until the "fire damage" hits 100, then withdraw the archers. It'll burn down. Do this to as many towers as needed to clear an entrance for your troops.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks for sharing that info Gray, I appreciate it.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:41 am

I love the game. I've already played for over 100 hours. It's the first total war game I've played since Medieval 2. I got kind of tired of total war gameplay and was burnt out on it for a long time. However, there was no way I was passing up on a three kingdoms game by a western developer (or any competent developer making an English game, really).

I'm not sure where to begin on my appreciation of the game or my thoughts about it. I guess to start with, I really love the roster of warlords you can play in the initial scenario. Secondly, I'm thrilled that they decided to consult Dr. Rafe de Crespigny on the game's creation. And I guess third, though by no means third in importance, the game itself is fun and very fluid and responsive. If you go back and play medieval 2 or something, there's a lot of input lag between giving orders to a unit and them carrying the orders out. In this game everything is so snappy. Cavalry, if not blocked from doing so, can turn on a dime or run right through an enemy and keep moving straight away if you give the order.

I like the romance mode much better, and make no secret about it. I had one heroic victory with Yuan Tan where I mostly used ammoless archers as decoys while Yuan Tan charged the flanks and rears of isolated units and routed them one by one. It was the most epic thing ever. I couldn't stop laughing at the idea of Yuan Tan pulling off Zhang Liao tier feats of martial splendor.

Ok I have more to add. I love the designs of the legendary characters. They're so awesome (most of them anyways)! Taishi Ci finally has a beautiful beard like he should! KOEI WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS?!
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:17 pm

Jordan wrote:Ok I have more to add. I love the designs of the legendary characters. They're so awesome (most of them anyways)! Taishi Ci finally has a beautiful beard like he should! KOEI WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS?!

This was my thought as well when I saw him first time, playing as Gongsun Zan. Though it feels like the amount of designs for characters of normal ranks is quite lacking as there's only four archetypes of generals and the only thing that makes them different is their facial features. There's a Nexus mods pack that changes the portraits of some generals to ones from DW9 but personally I'd like to see more of the official portraits.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Workshop is up and we have a faction unlocker:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1770083769
Makes everyone except Yellow Turban rebellion and Han Empire playable in campaign.

(My combat tips post is still coming but it's been hard to write recently).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Workshop is up and we have a faction unlocker:
Makes everyone except Yellow Turban rebellion and Han Empire playable in campaign.

Oh, wow, nice! I didn't realize this at all (as it seems it's been up for some time now, gee). Thank you for bringing this up.
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Jake wrote:

Oh, wow, nice! I didn't realize this at all (as it seems it's been up for some time now, gee). Thank you for bringing this up.

Not accessible, though. The workshop only became public today but some modders got the tools early.
Edit: Also a minor gift. This is a mod I made myself to complement the unlocker; it changes it so that "minor" factions (the ones usually nonplayable) have the same base income of 2,000 as ones like Cao Cao et el. By default they only get 1,000.
Also it turns out Gao Gan has a beastly trait if he's your leader/heir/PM: +10 defense for all melee infantry factionwide.
Attachments
@MinorFactionsFullIncome.zip
(313 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 am

Crossing my fingers for either a Roman unit mod, or a Lord of the Rings mod. I've seen people on other forums and sites request it so now I'm wondering what is going to be unleashed with the mod tools released now. Also I'd love a LOTR mod bc I don't want to pay for another Total War game in order to get a LOTR mod for it lol. I'm being cheap. I know. :oops:
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:14 pm

PeanutButterToast wrote:Crossing my fingers for either a Roman unit mod, or a Lord of the Rings mod. I've seen people on other forums and sites request it so now I'm wondering what is going to be unleashed with the mod tools released now. Also I'd love a LOTR mod bc I don't want to pay for another Total War game in order to get a LOTR mod for it lol. I'm being cheap. I know. :oops:

Don't expect a LOTR mod on the workshop. CA has started cracking down on other people's IPs in Total War mods and LOTR was specifically named as not allowed:
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... odding_3k/
Doesn't mean it may not appear elsewhere though.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Jake wrote:

Not accessible, though. The workshop only became public today but some modders got the tools early.
Edit: Also a minor gift. This is a mod I made myself to complement the unlocker; it changes it so that "minor" factions (the ones usually nonplayable) have the same base income of 2,000 as ones like Cao Cao et el. By default they only get 1,000.
Also it turns out Gao Gan has a beastly trait if he's your leader/heir/PM: +10 defense for all melee infantry factionwide.

Downloaded this just now and going to start a new campaign. Going to report if I find any bugs.
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games