Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Mikhail wrote:My collector's edition came last night. It's very beautiful.

https://m.imgur.com/a/I9cJ5JV

Thanks for showing it! The extras look quite nice! :)

Hasdrubal wrote:The patch did absolutely nothing to Yuan Shao, he’s still stomping everything. Once the steam workshop comes out there will be a mod to rebalance it hopefully!

Yuan Shao is so powerful even the devs can't stop him.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 pm

i've seen on reddit something with the patch made baby's act like adults, like now they'll be army leaders, they will accept duels, they will defect if they aren't happy, like what the heck, its Liu Bei's personal Paradise where he can touchdown baby's all day long now!
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Xu Huang fan wrote:i've seen on reddit something with the patch made baby's act like adults, like now they'll be army leaders, they will accept duels, they will defect if they aren't happy, like what the heck, its Liu Bei's personal Paradise where he can touchdown baby's all day long now!

I've seen posts about babies defecting and spawning to lead rebel armies before the patch came out.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Xu Huang fan wrote:i've seen on reddit something with the patch made baby's act like adults, like now they'll be army leaders, they will accept duels, they will defect if they aren't happy, like what the heck, its Liu Bei's personal Paradise where he can touchdown baby's all day long now!

I've seen posts about babies defecting and spawning to lead rebel armies before the patch came out.

ah, i wasn't quite aware due to not playing the game myself, but i have to wonder if this is intentional or just an oversight, leaning more towards the latter.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Hasdrubal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Haven’t seen the baby bug as I’ve been busy getting stomped by the AI but that is hilarious.

Seriously, I really suck at this game!
Hasdrubal
Tyro

Unread postby Hasdrubal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:26 pm

So I’ve played maybe 30 hours of TW3K so far and I think it’s probably the best in the series since Rome 1 was released all those years ago. Hoping for some DLC that populates the south a little bit to act as a check on Wu but we’ll see.

I’m playing as Cao Cao at the moment and having an absolute ball. Stabbing Liu Bei in the back, vassalising him then annexing him was a particular highlight. Now he’s shuffling paperwork in Chen while his sworn brothers fight my wars for me.

Next step is to finish off Dong Zhou and unlock him for my next campaign.
Hasdrubal
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Finished my Liu Bei campaign on turn 139. Guan Yu passed away the turn before (Yuan Tan replaced him as PM--he's a really good "faction head" in this game) and Liu Bei some time before that. Zhang Fei got to see the end though, and I believe he even captured the final city.

I was able to get Lu Xun from Wu with a spy action (they dropped his Satisfaction to 0 and he showed up in my pool shortly after) but he seems to be a generic so not amazing.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 am

Gray Riders wrote:Finished my Liu Bei campaign on turn 139. Guan Yu passed away the turn before (Yuan Tan replaced him as PM--he's a really good "faction head" in this game) and Liu Bei some time before that. Zhang Fei got to see the end though, and I believe he even captured the final city.

I was able to get Lu Xun from Wu with a spy action (they dropped his Satisfaction to 0 and he showed up in my pool shortly after) but he seems to be a generic so not amazing.

Lu Xun generic? We all knew the peach pals would be god-like, but Lu Xun getting the jag treatment is plain silly. Anyways, still a great game imo. end/Wu rage
Got my butt handed to me with Zheng Jiang. I thought i was doing well into the turn 80ish and just got overwhelmed. I turned down coalition invites due to asking prices. Numerous war decs soon followed. Economy was my biggest pitfall in retrospect.
No prob, retry, live and learn. Calvary is huge, towers are painful, have to make a friend early I think?
Anyways, congrats Gray. Which reforms do you go for early?
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Hasdrubal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 am

After restarting half a dozen times I think I’ve finally got a good game going with Gongsun Zan. Economy is a killer and I had to spec heavily into improving it before I could get anywhere. Yuan Shao seems to be able to field enormous armies comfortably but fortunately I nabbed Xiahou Yuan and Ma Teng off the recruitment pool and Wen Chou through capturing him so I’ve so far managed to keep his doomstacks at bay.

Is anyone still having trouble with order?
Hasdrubal
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 pm

I threw together a spreadsheet taken from the game files showing the public order penalties at each population level (and most of the pop bonuses). It might help with city planning so here it is for everyone to look at.

Sakae Wu wrote:Lu Xun generic? We all knew the peach pals would be god-like, but Lu Xun getting the jag treatment is plain silly. Anyways, still a great game imo. end/Wu rage
Got my butt handed to me with Zheng Jiang. I thought i was doing well into the turn 80ish and just got overwhelmed. I turned down coalition invites due to asking prices. Numerous war decs soon followed. Economy was my biggest pitfall in retrospect.
No prob, retry, live and learn. Calvary is huge, towers are painful, have to make a friend early I think?
Anyways, congrats Gray. Which reforms do you go for early?

Lots of people love going down the Red tree line for the +10 replenishment tech right away, and for many factions there's a lot to recommend that path--speeds up getting new armies, recovering from battle, and garrison recovery.

I think it can be worthwhile to detour for Slave Mobilization (-1 build time for all structures) though it's not essential, which you can easily get by building a tier 3 labor structure in your first tier 4 city and then demolishing it after getting the reform (this is a very useful technique in general for building locked reforms). It's also likely worth quickly grabbing the tier 4 Inn or Tier 3 State Workshop, depending on if the player's starting position favors commerce or industry based economies.

You mentioned this was your first Total War campaign so I'll post some general tips:
*You'll want to specialize provinces later on but early on I recommend a general build so losing one province won't cripple food or income. Early on I recommend a three-building set for every capital:
*Land Development (Harbor, for those settlements that have them, is a good replacement) for food--a Small City can support itself with a tier 2 Land Development, and with Tier 3 makes a food surplus. This is vital because relying on minor settlements for food is dangerous when all your provinces are on a border.
*Military Infrastructure, left side (Ma Teng doesn't get troops from his for some reason, so it's less useful), for defensive troops and a good public order bonus. Get it to tier 3 quickly. The UI doesn't mention it but those structures also give you "bastion artillery" that defends the city during siege battles and is quite powerful.
*Income structure. Either an Inn or a State Workshop, depending on which type of income you're specializing in.
Extra food from farms or livestock can be sold to AI factions with low food for a good profit, or to make them like you if you give them a good deal.

*Commerce VS Industry
Industry's big advantage is it has the highest base value and gets lots of percentage bonus from reforms (both from the purple tree and the left side of the yellow tree). On the downside it has few percentage bonuses from buildings and the structures are expensive and take longer to build. However, you will pretty much have to invest it in late-game to fight corruption. The good news is the best corruption-fighting Industry only requires 3 reforms, right down the middle of the purple tree. The Coin Maker is great because a tier 4 city can get +250 income and -10% corruption to all adjacent areas--the "Administration" line has better -corruption, but it requires a tier 7 city to build. So early on you can build the left hand Industry, then later when corruption becomes an issue you convert them to Coin Makers.

Commerce has low base values but it gets lots of bonuses from reforms as well (less than industry though), as well as bonuses from city size, plus the main commerce income structure, the Inn, also has a percentage bonus, so it synergizes very well with commanderies that have trade ports or other commerce minor structures, as well as those coastal cities that have harbors. The blue tree also makes your trade routes more profitable (I am not 100% sure how trade route income works but trade influence is good for it) and gives you more them (good if you have non-hostile neighbors with free routes). Commerce builds faster and costs less than industry, but in "neutral" commanderies will provide less income. However, I feel you get better units unlocked from the blue tree than the purple one. The Private Workshop line has a building that offers an insane +190% commerce boost, so a big city with one or more minor commerce buildings--or even just a harbor--can make tons of cash.

Since you'll need industry for -corruption at some point, though, you'll need more tier 5 cities with commerce. For this reason I think an Industry focus would work better in areas with less food, so you can rely on mostly on self sufficient tier 4 cities that are capable of fighting corruption.

*Factions with trade ports (and possibly some of the other ports?) can trade with other factions that own a trade port, even if they're not adjacent. So it can be worthwhile to recruit a 1 character army with no other units, force-march them into the river, and go searching for trade partners along the Yangtze and the yellow river

*AI seems far less likely to attack you if you're currently making regular payments. I was able to keep most of my vassals under control (Yuan Shao was scripted to betray because of becoming an Emperor and the other had the AI trait that hates being a vassal) by giving "vassal rebates" of 1 food or 50 gold a turn. Combining a small bribe with a NAP can help keep borders secure. The "weak point" is them betraying you the turn the deal runs out before you can set it up again, but you can send the other type of payment a turn or two before the deal ends (so if you have 1 turn left on giving them food you start sending money).

*For Zheng Jiang, during your first battle do your best not kill Xun Yu--if you let him/his unit rout off the map you have a very high chance of capturing him. Han officers seem to always be willing to defect (or almost always) after being captured and Xun Yu is an incredible officer.

EDIT: Diplomatic notes
*If you want to have good relations with someone click on them and see their relations with other factions. Don't sign treaties with their enemies and don't fight their friends.
*I've found two main ways to make vassals. The first is to deliver it with an Ultimatum and an offer of autonomy--this hurts your trustworthiness but not fatally, it'll recover in a few years. Even strong AI will often bow to this.
*The other way is to crush them in battle, capture their cities, and basically damage them until you can offer peace in exchange for vassalage, offering to return some or all of their cities. Make sure to release captured officers and ransom captured troops during the war as well.

Edit 2: NOW the spreadsheet is actually here. :lol:
Attachments
zTown Pops.xlsx
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by Gray Riders on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games