Page 50 of 61

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:42 pm
by Gray Riders
zirroxas wrote:Not the least because it's Zheng Jiang, CA's OC whose historical analogue may not have been born in 191AD for all we know, who is killing him.

I wonder if she'll appear in ROTK 14 now that this game is getting her attention? I noticed her in the indie 3K game The Last Warlord after her announcement though I don't know if she was added before or after CA announced her.

Weird starting things like Xun Yu or Gao Gan being a separate faction are why I'm waiting to see how moddable the game is before buying it.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:48 pm
by Dong Zhou
I can see why with Gao Gan as filling a map gap and giving Yuan Shao an early alliance. I also see Zheng Jiang path really doing something different with the history but Xun Yu is a weird choice

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm
by Gray Riders
So it seems there's a fairly large controversy over the lack of armoured horses in the game. It's giving me flashbacks to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. :lol:

It sounds like it might be getting a lot of attention in the Chinese fandom.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:06 am
by Sakae Wu
Gray Riders wrote:Weird starting things like Xun Yu or Gao Gan being a separate faction are why I'm waiting to see how moddable the game is before buying it.


What was your opinion on the videos Gray? I only watched a couple, Lionhearts Yuan Shao playthrough and one of the Zheng Jiang vids. But, I thought the art style and diplomacy looked good. Battles seemed okay, nothing really amazing.

Yeah, Xun Yu being the initial fight was pretty bizarre and I was even more surprised when the youtuber executed him.

Zheng Jiang seems like fun to play as, and Yuan Shao looks pretty strong but a lot of potential enemies surrounding him.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 am
by Gray Riders
Sakae Wu wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:Weird starting things like Xun Yu or Gao Gan being a separate faction are why I'm waiting to see how moddable the game is before buying it.


What was your opinion on the videos Gray? I only watched a couple, Lionhearts Yuan Shao playthrough and one of the Zheng Jiang vids. But, I thought the art style and diplomacy looked good. Battles seemed okay, nothing really amazing.

Yeah, Xun Yu being the initial fight was pretty bizarre and I was even more surprised when the youtuber executed him.

Zheng Jiang seems like fun to play as, and Yuan Shao looks pretty strong but a lot of potential enemies surrounding him.

I've only seen a few videos myself, but my thoughts are similar to your own (like the art and diplomacy, battles looked unexceptional).

Although I am also very disappointed that they're still clinging to the artificial army cap and free city defenses Rome 2 introduced, instead of the older system.

One thing that amused me; Warhammer's been having a problem with DLC factions being better with the most recent DLC including a new character for one of the races who is just outright superior to the others, leading me to wonder if Three Kingdoms will get the same thing and we'll end up with Liu Yan being incredibly overpowered compared to Cao Cao. :lol:

All around I'm still very uncertain about the purchase, and it doesn't help that other games I'm interested in are either out or coming out to compete with 3K for time.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 am
by LiuBeiwasGreat
So I am watching a multiplayer campaign with a player controlling Cao Cao and the other playing Liu Bei. I am really enjoying most of the streams from this game, perhaps the setting is really swaying me but that combined with the fact that I have loved the majority of Total War games (aside from Empire, Napoleon, and Atila [not a fan of Horde factions], I haven't tried Britonia) so I may be a bit bias.

One neat thing that I saw was that when you are playing a multiplayer campaign when you enter a battle the other player can choose to just watch or control the AI army against the other player. I believe it was mentioned that if the two players either form a coalition or alliance the other player can fight along side the other player in the traditional way of simply sharing your army in battle.
While this could be abused by purposely causing the enemy army to do worse it can make even simpler battles more interesting with a human player causing even easier battles to cause more casualties preventing the player from blobbing too much.

Now I just need to convince another player to do a multiplayer campaign as I have never done so in a Total War game :lol:

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 am
by Dong Zhou
Total War done a 3kingdom recap including streamer videos

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
by zirroxas
Gray Riders wrote:Although I am also very disappointed that they're still clinging to the artificial army cap and free city defenses Rome 2 introduced, instead of the older system.


Infrastructure-generated garrisons were introduced in Empire. I've personally never seen the problem with them. If you want additional defenses, you can always stick an army in the settlement too.

The army cap is indeed stupid, and I think was the real reason people didn't like garrisons in Rome 2 and after.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:59 pm
by Gray Riders
zirroxas wrote:
Infrastructure-generated garrisons were introduced in Empire. I've personally never seen the problem with them. If you want additional defenses, you can always stick an army in the settlement too.

The army cap is indeed stupid, and I think was the real reason people didn't like garrisons in Rome 2 and after.

I don't mind the small number of militia Empire introduced, I'm disappointed about still being unable to recruit troops into cities yourself at all, needing to put a capped/heavily penalized general to add any extra troops or build a structure that gives you pre-chosen and often badly thought out (light skirmisher cavalry for static defense) units.

I thought Shogun 2 worked very well in this regard. The main castle has some troops and some of the buildings added more but it was not enough to stop a determined assault, so you had to spend upkeep costs to supplement defenses. It helped balance out the Medieval 2 issue where the AI constantly left it's cities undefended but it wasn't as simple as "build one defense structure, city is now secure from anything short of a complete doomstack" like Warhammer gave us.

EDIT: Wait, I think I got confused, I'm not sure if Rome 2 had the buildings that gave you a ton of free troops.

Edit 2: Blog about unit recruitment. Mostly stuff we already know but they show off faction specific units:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/unlocking ... -kingdoms/

Edit 3: Video about the yellow turban campaigns. They look odd and very heavily whitewashed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t68lVxWbkyM

He Man is in as a "key character" for He Yi's faction.

Edit 4: Reviews are out.

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 am
by Dong Zhou
Gray Riders wrote:
He Man is in as a "key character" for He Yi's faction.


and in our hearts

Reaction to units seems a bit mixed, people seemed to want a bit more diversity. On the video (which has gone down very well), I suspect a lot of people will follow the migrate south, looks like a lot of effort was put in to make the Turbans seem very very different to other factions (though possibly trying to appeal to a certain fantastical fighting style) and to balance out the poor diplomacy with other things. The scroll research is visually lovely

Huang Shao blog, He Yi blog and Liu Bei trailer