Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:06 am

The last Yuan Shao stream went up earlier today, was enjoyable over all.
The player managed to piss off almost everyone around him showing off the fact that even if you are the strongest one around if half a dozen other factions are invading you at the same time you won't have an easy time of it.

The most interesting part in my opinion was the very end when they captured Chang An and got the Han Empire as a vassal. The amount of territory that the Han controls is very impressive, almost everything south of Chang Sha (including a chunk of Jiao) some of northern Yang (a bit south of the river too I think) and a chunk of Yi as well. Most likely the AI has to be quite passive considering how much territory the Han starts with.
I am assuming that the Han will have to be nerfed when the player controls Dong Zhou as it looks like it might be a bit overpowered, unless of course the Han Empire just kind of sits there and becomes fodder for the other factions which may happen.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:10 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I am assuming that the Han will have to be nerfed when the player controls Dong Zhou as it looks like it might be a bit overpowered, unless of course the Han Empire just kind of sits there and becomes fodder for the other factions which may happen.

I suspect the Han will be entirely defensive and it's vassalage is mostly good for gold, sort of like the "rebel" cities in earlier games.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I am assuming that the Han will have to be nerfed when the player controls Dong Zhou as it looks like it might be a bit overpowered, unless of course the Han Empire just kind of sits there and becomes fodder for the other factions which may happen.

I suspect the Han will be entirely defensive and it's vassalage is mostly good for gold, sort of like the "rebel" cities in earlier games.

Could be like the colonies from Empire. Fulfill certain conditions while controlling them and they become your direct territory. Otherwise they exist to either one day rebel against you or be conquered by other people.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:08 pm

By the time one becomes emperor other warlords will have taken most of the empire I suppose. Unless you take him early, in which case I don't know if you get a diplomatic hit for that.

The stream was fine, but they left in a very bad situation. They mostly ignored diplomacy altogether and I wish they took more care of their surroundings so that they wouldn't get betrayed.

But hey, that's OK, it shows it's not as passive as it seemed in the first streaming of the game, and diplomacy will be important to avoid getting into a situation in which everyone joins Dong Zhuo against you, to name an example.

That taking into account the AI can actually handle that. I would be disappointed if this was like Shogun 2 AI in which you had to rely on yourself and yourself alone because diplomacy just didn't work.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Qin Feng wrote:The stream was fine, but they left in a very bad situation. They mostly ignored diplomacy altogether and I wish they took more care of their surroundings so that they wouldn't get betrayed.

I find livestreams for strategy games often play a bit sloppy to avoid being too slow, which is probably why this happened.

That taking into account the AI can actually handle that. I would be disappointed if this was like Shogun 2 AI in which you had to rely on yourself and yourself alone because diplomacy just didn't work.

I wouldn't be surprised if diplomacy mostly properly works on Normal and maybe Hard but falls apart above that level. Features just not working on higher difficulties wouldn't be new to the series if so.

Edit: Records mode livestreams announced with Ma Teng:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1100349760035143680
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Yuan Shu deserved to win that one :(

Also, I'm glad that the game acknowledges that the Ma Clan are a bunch of dicks.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby Qin Feng » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:35 pm

That was a pretty crazy stream. Yuan Shu's daughter goes to Ma Teng, then Ma Teng ends up fighting an extremely bloody battle in which he barely wins by the outstanding number of 20 survivors losing his wife and almost losing his own life and Yuan Shu gets captured and executed.

Pretty neat.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Dong Zhuo gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0kPV7vWMg
*Has early access to Xiliang cavalry
*Great news, he starts with Xu Rong!
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Glad to see more from him, his campaign looks really fun and I like how you can execute your own officers to show your strength.
Also, in that duel he looks a bit too athletic for the size he is :lol:
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Kill all your officers first turn challenge accepted! :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games