Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:16 pm

It was voted for already I think, it's, unfortunately, Yuan Shao :lol: I'll be watching it, I hope it's not railroaded to make it look better than it is.

EDIT: Alright, stream's over. It was nice, duels seem more polished now (as in, participants facing each other), and last for much longer. Wen Chou was fighting a sentinel hero and the duel lasted the entire battle.

They also showed a siege battle that lasted for like 10 minutes. The combat is more polished from what I've seen. The times they zoomed in, units were facing each other pretty consistently, not like in some preview footage in which everyone was looking their own way and it was a mess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... ve_stream/

Here you can see some feedback.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Well, things are looking better. Not the best, but also not broken. AI is workable on the whole, but still doing the occasional inexplicable move.

I still wish they had kept those counting rods. Also, I was kinda annoyed that they didn't get the option to recruit Tian Feng at the end of that siege. He just ended up dead, even though I don't remember anyone killing him.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm

zirroxas wrote:Well, things are looking better. Not the best, but also not broken. AI is workable on the whole, but still doing the occasional inexplicable move.

I still wish they had kept those counting rods. Also, I was kinda annoyed that they didn't get the option to recruit Tian Feng at the end of that siege. He just ended up dead, even though I don't remember anyone killing him.

Tian Feng being one of Yuan Shao's first enemies and getting killed was oddly hilarious. I'm wondering if he starts out leading the city or if he was an unattached character the Han hired.

Was hoping we'd see Qu Yi but didn't really expect it. The starting positions in general feel weird, with Yuan Shao starting out in Ye (which is tiny compared to a lot of surrounding cities--I might be mistaken but I thought Ye was already pretty large by that time?) and Han Fu is off in Anping and Gao Gan is a separate warlord.

Army cap looks less annoying than I was worried. Still don't like it but eh.

Game itself looked mostly fine. Settlement management doesn't look as awful as Warhammer, which I was very worried about. Hope melee cav works okay since I was unhappy that Warhammer mostly had shock cavalry (micro managing the same unit charging the same unit over and over isn't what I enjoy in a strategy game). I'll likely wait to see if we get a mod for more accurate startpos before making a decision.

Edit: Feel like Shen Pei should be a Commander or a Strategist rather than a Sentinel. I sort of understand the logic but Sentinel implies he'd be good at holding out in lengthy duels.

Edit2: Yuan Tan trait--"Incompetent". Mean.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LibraryOfBojie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:32 pm

https://www.shacknews.com/article/10976 ... -to-roster

Looks like Shacknews put this article up before it was supposed to go up because it got taken down, but looks like Dong Zhuo is going to be a DLC warlord.

Edit: Seems like he'll actually be in the base game surprisingly enough, the article mentions him being the 12th playable warlord. Image
LibraryOfBojie
Tyro

Unread postby Qin Feng » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Sucks that it is paid dlc, but at least they'll make him playable. By the way, page not found, it seems they really were not supposed to put it up :lol: what did it exactly say?
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 pm

LibraryOfBojie wrote:https://www.shacknews.com/article/109761/total-war-three-kingdoms-welcomes-tyrant-dong-zhou-to-roster

Looks like Shacknews put this article up before it was supposed to go up because it got taken down, but looks like Dong Zhuo is going to be a DLC warlord.

Edit: Seems like he'll actually be in the base game surprisingly enough, the article mentions him being the 12th playable warlord. Image

Well that's a relief. If Dong Zhuo was paid DLC, we'd have a riot on our hands over on the subreddit.

EDIT: Teiba is finding it amusing that Yuan Shao's 3D model looks so good while Liu Bei's faction models looked terrible. People are insisting that CA is trying to flatter Yuan Shao.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm

zirroxas wrote:
LibraryOfBojie wrote:https://www.shacknews.com/article/109761/total-war-three-kingdoms-welcomes-tyrant-dong-zhou-to-roster

Well that's a relief. If Dong Zhuo was paid DLC, we'd have a riot on our hands over on the subreddit.

Pretty sure I remember a few people who didn't want him playable so he could be a "raid boss" with unique AI only mechanics, so we might still have one. :P

Wonder if they'll have him start out weaker as a player (like Tyrion and Karl Franz in Warhammer) or if everyone will just hate him so he'll really need that bonus income from the Han vassal.

EDIT: Teiba is finding it amusing that Yuan Shao's 3D model looks so good while Liu Bei's faction models looked terrible. People are insisting that CA is trying to flatter Yuan Shao

This might be the first adaptation that's pro-Yuan Shao if true. :lol:
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:21 am

They can work around it with relative ease. The western Roman empire was huge but was also very hard to play in Attila. Most of the map is owned by the Han, but it is impossible to defend everything, not to mention everybody hates your guts and you have the treacherous Lu Bu under your command.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Apaprently he will be unlcokable after you either beat him in battle or become the emperor. Really cool, an actual unlockable faction. Have never seen those, considering I barely played the earlier games.

On an unrelated note, Dong Zhuo's voice is amazing :lol:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... -dong-zhuo

Some information.

Basically:
-He's a vanguard.

-His campaign mechanics are all about "intimidation". The more intimidation you have, the more satisfied your men are and the less corruption there will be, with opposite effects occurring if intimidation is low.

-Intimidation is won by winning battles and executing people, and is loss when you promote others or lose battles.

-His innitial dilemma is a chain of dilemmas about Diaochan and Lu Bu in Romance Mode. In historical mode, it's focused on his relationship with Lu Bu and Wang Yun's scheming. If you make choices that anger Lu Bu (like marrying Diaochan), it'll be harder to get a good outcome for Dong Zhuo.

-If the dilemma leads to Dong Zhuo's assassination, you control Lu Bu.
Qin Feng
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games