Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Sima Yi:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1083015597011750912
For a second I thought he had a crazy beard that would put Guan Yu to shame, but it's his fan. :lol:

Haha, I thought the same thing :lol: He looks great!

About the state of the game, those are legitimate concerns. Total War releases are very hit and miss. The game was delayed since it was supposed to be out on autumn, but who knows. I would say that they don't want to repeat the same mistake, but before Rome 2's disaster, there was Empire who was very unstable as well. Let's hope for the best, because I'm actually looking forward to playing this game.

My guess is that they wanted the flashy features out, like new diplomacy, unique generals and the posters for them because it's just more marketable. There are 3 months until release, let's hope for the best.
Qin Feng
Student

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 pm

In general, I think there's still too much about basic mechanics. How settlement building works, more details on unit recruitment other than it being tied to officers, how classic mode is going to play, a fuller look at the unit roster, and how the "administrators" Gongsun Zan doesn't have will work.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Yue Jin: meh, looks too close to a generic design for my tastes

Xu Huang: OK for a new design

Sima Yi: also duped by fan beard; otherwise I really like his portrait
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Sima Yi: Fan placing is really unfortunate but otherwise looks really good, the patterns on the robe, the wonderful hat, the wizened face, nice splashes of colour on robe or belt to give life to the robe, I like the choice of quote from Silver Eminence

Gray Riders wrote:In general, I think there's still too much about basic mechanics. How settlement building works, more details on unit recruitment other than it being tied to officers, how classic mode is going to play, a fuller look at the unit roster, and how the "administrators" Gongsun Zan doesn't have will work.

Indeed. How will these new features and upgraded features actually work, classic mode is big for some, nothing has been heard for what feels like awhile. I like posters but something a bit more fundamental about be nice
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Liu Zhang:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1083377925406117894

I'm rather surprised to see him get a poster since his faction doesn't seem to be playable.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Liu Zhang:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1083377925406117894

I'm rather surprised to see him get a poster since his faction doesn't seem to be playable.

Yet
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Yet

Yeah, Liu Yan/Zhang is almost certainly coming at some point (my guess is either first or second post-release) but putting out a poster for someone who isn't available yet during the pre-release attempts to build anticipation is odd.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:36 pm

I assume they're leaving Lu Bu's for last since he's the poster boy for this game.
Qin Feng
Student

Unread postby zirroxas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Going by the forum reaction, CA is going to have a problem on their hands if there's not new gameplay tomorrow.

Also, lol they deleted the old Sima Yi tweet just to change the "notorious Zhuge Liang" to just "Zhuge Liang" after Teiba lost its mind over it.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Apprentice

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 pm

zirroxas wrote:Going by the forum reaction, CA is going to have a problem on their hands if there's not new gameplay tomorrow.

Yeah, it's definitely building. It doesn't help that since we know so little about the gameplay it's unsure what a lot of the abilities in these posters actually do.

Also, lol they deleted the old Sima Yi tweet just to change the "notorious Zhuge Liang" to just "Zhuge Liang" after Teiba lost its mind over it.

I remember someone complaining about the word notorious but they actually re-posted it over that? :lol:

Qin Feng wrote:I assume they're leaving Lu Bu's for last since he's the poster boy for this game.

I think that's fairly likely, possibly with an announcement of him/Dong Zhuo being FLC in a while (though making Lu Bu his own faction with a 190 starting year wouldn't be the weirdest thing CA has done--I could see them making him start as a vassal of Dong Zhuo instead of an officer in a later patch).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games