Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Zhao Yun poster:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1075375197807509504

"Purple dragon"? I've never read that before and people responding seem to think it's an error.

It is, apparently his style name 子龍 sounds like purple dragon, so they ran with it and based his color scheme off it, despite the characters being different. I think someone at CA has taken introductory Chinese but never got past the first semester.

EDIT: Slight correction. It was pointed out that all sentinels are purple in this game, so the name screw up is unrelated.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 pm

I am confused by this purple thing. I looked at the poster and didn't see the word purple anywhere. Am I just blind here?
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I am confused by this purple thing. I looked at the poster and didn't see the word purple anywhere. Am I just blind here?

It was fixed after a bunch of people pointed it out on twitter and reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... n/ec47c3g/
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

It's not the first time they make a mistake like that. Liu Bei's poster had his name written in simplified Chinese if I remember correctly.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:09 am

Despite my incredulous reaction to Kong Rong I think I might enjoy playing as him. I like to turtle which seems to be his playstyle but I am concerned that unless you are invaded constantly (by Yuan Shao for example) things might get a bit boring. :lol:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1082327511294504960

Yue Jin has been announced. Like Zhao Yun the longer he fights the stronger he gets.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:18 pm

I feel like Yue Jin should be a Vanguard instead of a Sentinel but it's good to see he's a unique instead of a generic.

Edit: Xu Huang
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/108 ... 11425?s=19
Are we getting the Five Wei Generals all at once?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm

My guess is they are doing a series of posters now as part of marketing build up to show all 3 (including the five Generals of Wei) but I think they need a video soon to soothe the fanbase and ease concerns that something is being hidden.

Yue Jin: The Lu Bu focus is a bit odd but I like the Lion skill, a solid look, looks intelligent, experienced, nice armour. Skills nicely set up a theme of a determined figure

Xu Huang: I like the courtesy in description. The hat is bfar better then DW tends to manage, Fleet footed a good skill, armour looks nice enough.

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Sima Yi:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1083015597011750912
For a second I thought he had a crazy beard that would put Guan Yu to shame, but it's his fan. :lol:
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:My guess is they are doing a series of posters now as part of marketing build up to show all 3 (including the five Generals of Wei) but I think they need a video soon to soothe the fanbase and ease concerns that something is being hidden.

In what sense? As in what are fans worried about being hidden?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:My guess is they are doing a series of posters now as part of marketing build up to show all 3 (including the five Generals of Wei) but I think they need a video soon to soothe the fanbase and ease concerns that something is being hidden.

In what sense? As in what are fans worried about being hidden?

The general state of the game. The last major tentpole historical title was Rome 2, and that launch was legendarily terrible. It took well over a year for the game to be in a decent state and even longer for it to be considered good.

It was marked by a bunch of very pretty trailers and scripted gameplay showcases, but there wasn't any unscripted stuff and community members weren't able to play it beforehand, so the common sentiment is that CA hid the broken state of the game behind cinematography.

Things haven't been nearly that bad right now (the ambush demo was somewhat scripted, but the general public got to play and talk about it), and the releases of the Warhammer games have been pretty good, but people are still nervous.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games