Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Cao Cao is up:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... ds-cao-cao
He's able to start "proxy wars" between other warlords. Possibly based off the Yuan civil war/the Wu/Shu war over Jing.
Although they call his play style "slow but steady" which is odd since he grew explosively. I'd have expected that style for Liu Bei honestly.

They may be fitting in archetypal playstyle where they can, I imagine they have something else for Liu Bei and not caring too much if it fits as agree slow and steady doesn't quite fit. Felt they were very careful to balance the bad and the good with that piece to try and give a balanced portrayal, Chen and then Tao Qian makes sense as opening chapters
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:19 am

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:
This makes me really happy. Especially since Rafe is involved in the project. Do you reckon his familiar with KMA?

I bet he posts here under a pseudonym. :shock: Who could it be?

:lol:

*Coughs in Australian, mate.* :lol:

Perhaps 'James', if that is in fact his real name, set the forum up to create a market for his books? :shock:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:01 pm

There is no conspiracy here under our great leader James. All is above board and well, there are no false identifies under our glorious lord

Sun Fin meanwhile will be taking a leave of absence from the forum for re-educational purposes to spend more time in his garden. :evil:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:03 pm

What the teams are working on update:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the- ... tober-2018

The Three Kingdoms news is that we'll start seeing more of the campaign soon, which is what I've been waiting on. They're looking at diplomacy and region trading is returning.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:59 pm

Liu Bei's information is up

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... qJ6OqJFx3c

He starts with no territory surrounded by yellow turbans, he also cannot raise additional armies at the start of the game until he gets his prestige up.

However he has an easier time confederating with other Han based factions and has a really close relationship with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei (obviously)

He gets militia units without upkeep so it seems like he will have lots and lots of weak units.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm intrigued by managing the cohesion bit, militia no upkeep not a bad idea, it sounds slightly too novely goody though they do note his brilliant political skills they don't quite perhaps get the descriptive balance right like they did with Cao Cao. Does sounds like his one is quite a challenging one but where if you can build a base and hold you have a fair chance.

I think the Liu connection is something they hadn't done, makes the Liu lords a bit too simplistic and friendly when they had very different and I could see that being overpowered (confed tends to be a key strategy for me in Warhammer)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Liu Bei sounds 100% novel there, though he looks like an interesting campaign.

I am unsure what the "claim territory under the Han" part means. Does Xian control territory?

Aside from announcing the Yellow Turban bonus we haven't really heard anything about the other warlords or which ones will even be playable. Hopefully soon.

The comment about army limits worries me. I hate the recent Total War games trying to force players to use only a handful of doomstacks and it sounds like this game will continue that way.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Gray Riders wrote:I am unsure what the "claim territory under the Han" part means. Does Xian control territory?

From the sounds of it, it seems that various Liu NPC forces will count as 'Han territory'. Liu Biao and Liu Zhang at least, possibly Liu Yu in the north too if he's in the game. Maybe even Liu Yao, I don't know. But the wording was suggesting that Liu Bei could use that ability to take Liu Biao's land, so that's the best conclusion I can draw.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 pm

They might use the novel's interpretation of forces "loyal" to the Han. People like Tao Qian, Ma Teng, Liu Biao, etc. They might start with friendly relations with Liu Bei and be programed to confederate with him if he grows to a certain size. It also might happen if the lord dies, as the preview mentioned that Jing might surrender to Liu Bei once Liu Biao died.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:17 am

They seem to be laying the "kind, humble and benevolent warlord" on a little thick.
If you care about the people, then Liu Bei is for you! :)
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games