Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Qin Feng wrote:I am excited for this game, though I shouldn't be. I really don't think I will be able to run it. Attila was the last one I tried, and even though I could run it at a comfortable level (not super smooth) changing a few settings, I don't know how well I do with later installments.

I've read a number of times that Attila is poorly optimized and runs badly in general, so you may still be able to run Three Kingdom.

I really hope you are right! Unless... This one is also poorly optimized :lol: I wouldn't be surprised, to tell you the truth.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Shogun II was the oddity in the series, in that it was actually optimized and ran well. Empire, Napoleon, Rome II, Atilla... not so much.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

There's a video available about the game's use of "wu xing", the Chinese concept of the five elements, into the game. It's over three hours long so I can only go off what other people posted though. :lol:

Here's a topic with info:
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... n_wu_xing/

The video is also there.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Forgive the double post but I consider this fairly large news:
Early Adopter DLC announced: Yellow Turban Rebellion. Three new playable warlords: He Yi, Gong Du, Huang Shao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woEGXcvNe98
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Forgive the double post but I consider this fairly large news:
Early Adopter DLC announced: Yellow Turban Rebellion. Three new playable warlords: He Yi, Gong Du, Huang Shao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woEGXcvNe98

Yep. Date on 6th March next year (three days after my birthday)

I quite like the video and the way it colours the grey with yellow. The steam description is good, the sense of story, the feel it will be something different to the more established kingdoms (if a bit too fancifully non violent), feels like their version of the horde perhaps. No Liu Pi seems odd.

I question it as a marketing tool though, buy game early and get a remnant faction with officers most will never have heard of free? For those who are already getting the game it won't matter, for those waving that isn't much of a pull.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I question it as a marketing tool though, buy game early and get a remnant faction with officers most will never have heard of free? For those who are already getting the game it won't matter, for those waving that isn't much of a pull.

This is where the single starting date is hurting them, I think. The Zhang brothers would interest me, but I don't care about He Yi or the others as playable warlords. They'll have to push the unique subculture element, I think, but even then I imagine they were in a bit of a bind for a good pre-order incentive; judging by the comments and like/dislike ratio on the youtube video people are already unhappy and it might be worse if it had been someone like Ma Teng.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 pm

I agree that it would have really upset people if the preorder bonus was a major faction, having the yellow turban remnents isn't a bad idea.
I do want the faction but I dislike preordering games, especially digital games. At the same time i was really planning on getting the game at launch anyway so I guess I will probably preorder it, though I will wait until shortly before it is released most likely.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 pm

CA has long done pre-order DLC as far as I'm aware, it always gets complaints but it sells so I think they could have done with Dong Zhuo (as the big bad likes they did with Chaos in Warhammer) or Ma family for example as not a key but wanted faction.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jolt » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:23 am

Prices are so low in China, since I'm here on work, I decided to pre-order it. If I was in Portugal, it would cost me 55 euros. Preordering here in China costs me only 39 euros. :)
Jolt
Master

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 am

I think instead of He Yi and the others: Han Sui, Ou Xing and Zhang Ju could have been really good for an early access expansion. You probably can't call them yellow turbans but I like these because it's 3 rebellions in 3 different corners of the map that happened just before Dong Zhuo rose up and if you need to stick with the "Dong Zhuo in Luoyang" theme that the game is going for, you could easily push these rebellions up to the correct time.
You could also really do well on the characters here as some people would recognise Han Sui and he could really elevate Ou Xing and Zhang Ju to make them feel just as important. I kind of picture Ou Xing as being this over-romanticised big beardy pirate man who just hates everyone and Zhang Ju as being a complete lunatic who is of the genuine belief that he is the Emperor.

In an ideal world I would have included the Yellow Turban rebellion of 184 in the base game rather than have everything relate to Dong Zhuo's uprising since I think Zhang Jiao's magic would have made a great addition to the total war experience (at least in the romanticised mode). Plus, since we're not getting Chi Bi/ Redcliff, I think the game needs something better than just the everyone gang up on Dong Zhuo and then fight amongst yourselves like in almost every other total war game.

idk. I probably won't get the game, it's probably just going to be a more sad version of Kessen 2.
I really liked Kessen 2.
LordSimaYi
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games