Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 pm

ROTK 3 had a hide option like that where you could send loyal officers off to your enemies, they could switch to your side in battle if they had troops, and if they had troops when returning to you after a period of time, they brought those troops with them. The AI would generally hide nobodies in your lands. It had its perks - the main one being reducing your officer expenses early on - but yeah I doubt the schmuck you hide will rise to become top dog on another force and start a civil war...

It would at least suggest potential for political intrigue, I suppose.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:ROTK 3 had a hide option like that where you could send loyal officers off to your enemies, they could switch to your side in battle if they had troops, and if they had troops when returning to you after a period of time, they brought those troops with them. The AI would generally hide nobodies in your lands. It had its perks - the main one being reducing your officer expenses early on - but yeah I doubt the schmuck you hide will rise to become top dog on another force and start a civil war...

It would at least suggest potential for political intrigue, I suppose.

I remembered at least one of the old ROTK games had a similar option but I couldn't recall which.\

New interview:
https://wccftech.com/total-war-three-ki ... terview/2/
They mention you won't know character personality traits at first but unless they randomize them people familiar with the period will have a big advantage (we all know not to trust Lu Bu, Xu You, Liu Bei, etc.)

*Still uses building slots in campaign, hopefully less of a mess than the AI crippling way it was handled in Warhammer that led to the AI building armies of one unit and needing crazy cheats because it couldn't develop properly.
*Areas like Hu lao gate aren't present since making two campaign maps would be massively tricky (can't blame them).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Edit:
Article from PCGamer includes information on the character classes and the new spying system.
https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-three ... -pcgamertw
You can have loyal characters pretend to leave your faction and then spy on whomever hires them. I believe some of the older ROTK games had this option.

If the spy rises to the point where they become the heir to the enemy faction, you can trigger a civil war in their territory.

Most of the major warlords have children so this is really weird.

I suspect the AI will have trouble using this against the player. Let's be honest, if Guan Yu pops in your city not working for anyone you know exactly what's actually going on.

I assume AI would be meant to use less obviously loyal officers like a Jia Xu or a lesser known names. The heirs thing, I suppose that would allow Liu Bei taking over from Tao Qian type issue. Sounds intresting but whether they can pull it off

Edit 2: According to this video there is no naval combat. Go to 11:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAMMGGxePE
A seriously poor decision. This really might be a dealbreaker for me.

Yeah that is a decision that has not gone down well from what I can see. Red Cliffs/Chi Bi getting cited a lot, also feels like Wu can't be done properly without it, first time "I really don't know about buying it" moment about this game
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1031542527520854026
Lady Sun skill poster.

I'm guessing Sun Ce and Sun Quan will be coming up next.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 pm

Lady Sun looks great!

It's rare to see a female video game character in actual battle armor. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 am

It's not a great drawing but I like her look, very different from DW, she has a nice smile, the colours of red, white, bit of yellow and armour grey mixes well with the red cloak flowing off the white robe. I like the skill descriptions, particularly of the rising sun, but they don't stand out as particularly her

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:35 am

Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 am

That's a bland design, no beard, no excitement or adventure in him, the yellows fine but there is a lack of flair about the clothing and the skills don't feel like Sun Quan bar the first 1. The others feel kind of random and not reflecting the figure that was Sun Quan

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't quite understand the "earth" connection to Sun Quan. Given his river/sea expeditions I feel like water would have been the obvious choice.

Also where are his big ears? :P
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 pm

I have to agree with Dong Zhou, Sun Quan's design is not great. I might be biased because I always loved his portraits in Koei's mainline ROTK games with the epic beard, but he doesn't feel like Sun Quan without a beard.

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I don't quite understand the "earth" connection to Sun Quan. Given his river/sea expeditions I feel like water would have been the obvious choice.

They don't want to draw attention to the lack of naval battles by giving him the water element. :P
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games