Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Liu Yao would give us someone to start with in the south, plus with his weak neighbors he won't be as hard to play with (Taishi Ci would be useful there as well even if he isn't suppose to be there yet) Though he is really minor, not sure if they would bother.

Gongsun Zan is also a warlord which could be interesting game wise but at the same time is so minor I am not sure they would bother.

Simply due to historical placement many warlords start in the north, having more then Sun Jian in the south is important. Liu Biao doesn't sound too interesting to me, however he was known enough and is southernly placed so I can see him being introduced.

Liu Zhang doesn't really do much during this period of time, not sure who he would face in the south besides generic enemies. It is times like this where I again wish we knew more about who was in charge of various territories that the SGZ didn't think important enough to mention :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Gongsun Zan is also a warlord which could be interesting game wise but at the same time is so minor I am not sure they would bother.

They've made some odd choices in previous games for playable (Hattori ninja clan in Shogun 2, Helman Ghorst and Tretch in Warhammer), so I could easily see Gongsun Zan getting in just for his white horse cavalry.

Liu Zhang doesn't really do much during this period of time, not sure who he would face in the south besides generic enemies. It is times like this where I again wish we knew more about who was in charge of various territories that the SGZ didn't think important enough to mention :lol:

Main reason I think Liu Zhang could fit is so we have someone in that part of the map and because he could be a good "beginner" pick since he's in a corner and far from any really dangerous enemies. His main enemies early on could be the Nanman (if they're incuded), Zhang Lu, and Liu Biao.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm

I am quite confident that various barbarian tribes will be included simply to fill in the map.

I agree that the white horse calvary would be an obvious choice, at the same time I can see Gongsun Zan being a DLC faction
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:57 pm

I wonder if those are 11 opening factions or 11 once all DLC is done, I'm assuming the latter. I would imagine

*Cao Cao
*Liu Bei
*Sun Jian
*Dong Zhuo
*Yuan Shao
*Ma Teng (with Han Sui under him)
*Yuan Shu
*Liu Zhang
*Liu Biao
*Jin/Gongsun Zan
*Liu Yao/Wang Lang/some southern force

Mostly about map balance and where holes would be, the big namers like Liu Bei with one spare slot that either goes for Jin if they want latter era stuff or essentially one free slot. Hw they handle tribes will be intresting, I don't think they will ever go for anything in Korea or Vietnam though I know some are pushing for it, the Nanman must appeal due to novel elements (elephants and so on), the Qiang, Wuhuan, Xiongnu and Shanyue would be disappointing if they aren't at least a factor the player needs to be aware of.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Jin's a big question for me. It would be hard to include them without breaking things if the game starts in 190 or so like the trailer suggests, yet not having the historical victor in the game would be very strange (I suppose Throne of Britannia has the historical victor as non-playable, though).
Although a part of me is wondering if the Hu Lao gate battle in the trailer is just an intro cutscene and the actual game will start a few years later after he was assassinated so they can make Lu Bu a playable warlord--he's one of the most popular figures of the period, after all.
Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgu8t0HVlmY
Interview at E3. Notes:
*Honorable officers can get unhappy if you send another officer to help them during a duel.
*The devs are Wei-ists. :P
*11 factions is on launch, not with DLC.
*Game is still a sandbox.

Edit 2:
Gamespot's E3 live didn't show much new although we saw Cao Cao's Tiger cavalry is a unit in the game.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 pm

The way they talk about the Romance makes it seems like they view it as actual history... that terrifies me.

Anorher dev interview with gameplay: http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/06/15/to ... -live-2018
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 pm

I wonder what kind of DLC factions there will be. I mean they need all have a few they people actually want so much means they will have to leave out some popular groups from the main eleven.

It is possible that Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu will be left out for a Yuan brothers DLC. Or perhaps a northern riders DLC with Gongsun Zan and Qiang barbarians.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I wonder what kind of DLC factions there will be. I mean they need all have a few they people actually want so much means they will have to leave out some popular groups from the main eleven.

It is possible that Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu will be left out for a Yuan brothers DLC. Or perhaps a northern riders DLC with Gongsun Zan and Qiang barbarians.

With eleven starting factions I doubt they'll leave out Yuan Shao, at least. I suspect it might be either barbarian tribes or even Gongsun Du and Korean kingdoms.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm

While it will be set in 190 I would notbe surprised to see factions that appear in the 194 scenarios. People like Liu Yao, Wang Lang, Liu Du, and others will probably be on the map to fill things out.

A challenge will be stopping Dong Zhou from blobbing, if they simply program him to do nothing it will be boring however he starts off so much stronger then everyone else if he is aggressive or will be very hard to stop him.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:While it will be set in 190 I would notbe surprised to see factions that appear in the 194 scenarios. People like Liu Yao, Wang Lang, Liu Du, and others will probably be on the map to fill things out.

A challenge will be stopping Dong Zhou from blobbing, if they simply program him to do nothing it will be boring however he starts off so much stronger then everyone else if he is aggressive or will be very hard to stop him.

Lately, Total War has preferred to even out playable faction starting sizes--Thrones of Britannia broke some of the larger factions up into multiple smaller ones. So, I could see them doing the same to Dong Zhuo, just giving him one or two cities (Luo Yang and Chang An?).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games