Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Dong Zhuo sounds like a great campaign. I'd guess Ma Teng is the best choice for people who want to unlock him as soon as possible.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 am

Unlocking other factions was a feature on the original Medieval game right? There were 6(?) starter factions and if you conquered another one then you could play as it next time you started a game!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

I liked the trailer, the sense of power and ambition, the dramatic music, decent voiceover, they got a good balance between a man growing fat and strength. Never heard the blade bit before but I like they acknowledge his early life if they somewhat underplay his record in Liang. I like the careful balance they are talking about, the intimidation (reduced by promotion could be awkward), clever touch to emphasis the romance/classic difference.

Sounds like an intresting faction to play
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Unlocking other factions was a feature on the original Medieval game right? There were 6(?) starter factions and if you conquered another one then you could play as it next time you started a game!

The original Medieval let you start as every playable faction (I remember because my first disastrous campaign was as the Byzantine Empire :lol: ), but Medieval 2 and Rome added the feature where they had to be unlocked.
Edit: Speaking of the original Med, you can buy on Steam for a pittance right now during the sale, but some people report having trouble with it on modern systems like windows 10. It seems to be sort of working on my 8.1 except that tooltips inexplicably crash the game.
Edit 2: Dong Zhuo poster:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1094611949294215168
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm

The game's getting delayed

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... ent-update

It's a bummer since we were so close to release, but hey, if they're going to do some fine tuning that's always way better than have a poor release and fix things later down the road. I hope they address the AI issues and give some information on records mode, which I'll probably not play as much but it's still good to know how it plays.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

We'll be getting a Record mode video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... ally_want/
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm not sure if others have seen this video> https://youtu.be/hEegQ-yeQys
It's from an ex CA employee and he's pretty critical, so I'm not sure how much stock to put into it.
Many of these issues might have already been resolved for all I know. But, it feels a little discouraging for myself who's kinda been on the fence about purchasing it.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 am

Sakae Wu wrote:I'm not sure if others have seen this video> https://youtu.be/hEegQ-yeQys
It's from an ex CA employee and he's pretty critical, so I'm not sure how much stock to put into it.
Many of these issues might have already been resolved for all I know. But, it feels a little discouraging for myself who's kinda been on the fence about purchasing it.

I'd give it a few days after release to see what people are saying and how the first post-release videos look. You'll still have time to get the Yellow Turbans for free if you buy within a week.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 am

That same guy commented in reddit about the delay and, since he's been an employee, he knows from experience that the extra time for Warhammer 1 did many good things for the game, so he's received the news of the delay in an optimistic manner and thinks it will do good for the game.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games