Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I haven't played a Total War game before. What should I expect? Looks like RTS just at a glance, although I've read it's "turn-based strategy and real-time tactical battles".

Turn based campaign map, real-time (with pause) for battles.
Generally speaking, the campaign map tends to be by far the weaker part of the game.
Edit: Some people obviously won't agree.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I haven't played a Total War game before. What should I expect? Looks like RTS just at a glance, although I've read it's "turn-based strategy and real-time tactical battles".

Turn based campaign map, real-time (with pause) for battles.
Generally speaking, the campaign map tends to be by far the weaker part of the game.
Edit: Some people obviously won't agree.

<.< >.>
I love the campaign map. I love seeing my boarders expand and the color of my faction fill the map. The battles are awesome too. I mainly dislike the computer's hero spam but that isn't as bad as it used to be in previous games.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:<.< >.>
I love the campaign map. I love seeing my boarders expand and the color of my faction fill the map. The battles are awesome too. I mainly dislike the computer's hero spam but that isn't as bad as it used to be in previous games.

Yeah I edited in a note because I realized some people really like the map. I just find nowadays some of the changes have led to the map resulting in fewer memorable and fun battles becaues of changes like the slot system resulting in horrible unit variety in the early game (and for the AI in general, which is terrible at managing it), the general system meaning there are fewer battles and absolutely no small ones after the very early game, and I really find the "puzzle piece style" province system makes conquest more tedious than it used to be, while it also takes up time without really providing anything worthwhile to the game and, as I mentioned, hurting unit variety in battles.

It's also where the serious problems with the AI are most obvious, especially in Warhammer where CA gave up and just lets them ignore game mechanics instead of progamming it to be able to play the game properly.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I'm sad that DLC is a given. I guess it shows little I play games these days that I haven't played a game where I've paid for DLC.

Nowadays best to assume games will be come with at least half the cost again for DLC

In fairness, I thought the Warhammer DLC was good, I didn't pay for blood DLC but got some factions with new lords (so, say, Wei getting Cao Hong), new factions and mini camapigns. I suspect that will be the way they go this time as well

Zkuq wrote:This is excellent news. I love both Total War and Three Kingdoms, and I've been waiting for this forever, never really expecting it to happen. I just hope (and believe) that they are going the historical route despite the wishes and predictions of some - there are already lots of less historical games on Three Kingdoms but none (as far as I know) that are as historical as Total War games usually are.

Been mixed signals so far, trailer has peach garden oath but they linked to a history (a rather alarmingly inaccurate one granted) article that talked of Cao Cao being culturally hit so they are aware the novel isn't history.

I suspect we will get a mix. Partly expectations in east, partly I think they may have difficulty knowing quite what bits are novel and what are history (I have seen such confusion on total war forums) and that the historians they hired may be more focused on getting the military aspects right.

You have your turn on the camapign map, building up your cities (now with limited slots so having to make choice), recruiting soldiers, moving your army, having heroes/agents do things either in your province or things like assassinate/open gates. Then you end turn and your foes/allies do the same.

Battles you tend to get unlimited time to set up formation of your troops then real time battle

There may or may not be quest lines.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
I suspect we will get a mix. Partly expectations in east, partly I think they may have difficulty knowing quite what bits are novel and what are history (I have seen such confusion on total war forums) and that the historians they hired may be more focused on getting the military aspects right.

I really hope so, I've spent a lot of time researching armour, formations etc and it's a really understudied area in this period.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Havie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 pm

I can't tell you how excited I am for this release as I have pretty much given up on Koei just like they've given up on trying to make a decent three kingdoms game...

I have high hopes that Total war will be able to put a new spin on the series with a combination of historical accuracy and incorporating some kind of hero mechanic at the same time less dramatic as Warhammer. They have the code, so why not include it.

Also, if anything isnt to my liking, you know Im gonna Mod the hell out of it, considering I was 80% done converting Shogun2 to a full blown three kingdoms mod when this game was announced. Will be looking for like minded people to do something crazy mod-wise im sure after release. Hit me up if interested.

Loved the trailer and the animations, but SUPER disappointed with the Lu Bu model.. that headband? trash...
Was hoping for something more like Tiger Knight Empire War's Lu Bu.
Havie
Apprentice

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/three-kin ... ed-history
There will be both a historical AND a novel mode, and Professor Rafe is a consultant for the historical mode.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Now that is exciting news! I guess the question though is how much will they listen to him?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Well, it would make little sense to publicly announce that they are working with him and then ignore his advice.
After all, only fans of the period would even know who he is, most of the general fan base wouldn't know nor care if they name drop historians :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Yeah, that is a good point! :lol:

And to be fair don't the Total War games traditionally have a good track record with historical authentication?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games