Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm

It's finally happened folks!
Total War has finally come to China and they chose this beloved time period for their first foray!

Here is the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D42vMUSIM

Releasing later this year.
Hype overload!
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

I've been suspecting this for a while from some of the vague hints they've been giving.

I'll wait and see since I dislike the campaign system modern Total War went with, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I am greatly looking forward to this. I do enjoy the modern total war system so I am excited :D
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Trailer looks rubbish.

Whatever happens it just won't feel as deep with the story that we're used to but we'll get the classic Total War battle sizes, at least.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm

I AM SO EXCITED! I've not played a Total War game since Medieval 2 but this will entice me back in!

The 3K games have always been defined by the characters, do you think they'll find a way to make people like Zhao Yun and Sun Ce standout from generic units?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I AM SO EXCITED! I've not played a Total War game since Medieval 2 but this will entice me back in!

I'll mention the campaign layer is WAY different from Medieval 2. Cities have limited building slots (you NEED certain buildings everywhere post Shogun 2 so it's kind of made city building boring IMHO) and units can't move at all without a general (who are limited. I believe Rome 2 put a hard cap, while Warhammer penalizes the player--but not the ai--with increased upkeep for your entire army with every new general you have), and cities generate their own garrisons--you can put a general with his men in a city but can't recruit troops directly into a city anymore. Cities are also now divided into provines with minor citys that can't grow past a certain poin.
There's a ton of other changes but those are some that'll stick out immediately to a classic Total War vet (they certainly were for me!).
Some of this might be different for Three Kingdoms but Total War has changed the campaign drastically since Medieval 2.

The 3K games have always been defined by the characters, do you think they'll find a way to make people like Zhao Yun and Sun Ce standout from generic units?

Yes.

They did that with Warhammer and I'd be amazed if it doesn't carry over. The question is who'll be special and who'll be generic. Don't be surprised if Cheng Pu and Han Dang are generic or even missing entirely.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I saw Three Kingdoms trending on Twitter and wondered what the heck was going on! Sure enough everyone was talking about the new Total War game.

This is outstanding news! I've always wanted a large-scale battle game from the era. The RoTK series never quite scratched that itch.

Seems that the game's retelling starts in 190, so it'll begin with Dong Zhuo instead of with the Yellow Turbans.
Jia Nanfeng
Apprentice

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Gray Riders wrote:They did that with Warhammer and I'd be amazed if it doesn't carry over. The question is who'll be special and who'll be generic. Don't be surprised if Cheng Pu and Han Dang are generic or even missing entirely.

Well it's supposed to be the next major historical title so hero units like in Warhamemr probably won't be the case. Though I could see something similar to like Rome 2's method in Empire Divided where the hero is part of a larger unit and cannot die. Instead, if beaten, they just recuperate in the home territory for a few turns.

So maybe something like Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, etc have different focuses and builds for their armies, but they won't be a single unit who can single-handedly take on multiple enemy units at once.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Hopefully they'll drop some hints about details like hero units in the next few months! Does anyone else feel that between this and the new look Dynasty Warrior game this is a chance for another 3K online community resurgence?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Some of the outrage over not getting Medieval 3 is hilarious.

So, a few things I wonder
*Will every faction have their own units or will it be Shogun 2 style?
*How will they handle the general system? Will people like Song Xian be in the game or just the rulers and a few of their more notable generals with a bunch of randomly named generics?
*What rulers will be playable from the start and which will be DLC? Total War seems to have long ago given up on letting you play as everyone on the map.
*How will they handle the timeline? If it starts in 190 there's basically no chance of seeing things like Chi Bi or iconic figures like Zhuge Liang. Will multiple starting periods return?
*Why isn't Wu in the trailer? Just kidding we all know they're saving the best kingdom for last.
*Will it be okay to pursue Lu Bu?
Edit: And why isn't he riding Red Hare?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games