The Last Warlord--an indie ROTK strategy game

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: The Last Warlord--an indie ROTK strategy game

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I enjoyed the AARs and have decided to pick this game up when some more of the bugs are ironed out. Wu being weaklings well make it easier to crush the traitors :P

Not sure if it was appropriate to besmirch the glorious KIngdom of Wu and its noble leaders, but while noticeably weaker than the Koei version, they're not quite "weaklings" :wink: It really seems almost every force has a chance if handled correctly.

I haven't really noticed many bugs in my play through, but they're still making additions as well as an English tutorial.
I think holding off for a little bit until it's more complete is a pretty good idea imo.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am

I tease about Wu, as long as they can hold the love against Wei I will be fine with them.

I am actually less bothered by potential bugs and more concerned about the gene not being fully translated, but I hear they hired a company to help with that.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 am

Sakae Wu wrote:I haven't really noticed many bugs in my play through, but they're still making additions as well as an English tutorial.
I think holding off for a little bit until it's more complete is a pretty good idea imo.

Yeah, I've seen a few but frankly I've seen more in a number of AAA full releases. :lol:

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I tease about Wu, as long as they can hold the love against Wei I will be fine with them.

I am actually less bothered by potential bugs and more concerned about the gene not being fully translated, but I hear they hired a company to help with that.

Wu's lacking "above 90" military officers compared to the others, who both have five or six, but it has a lot of 80s and 70s guys.

Wei has the best officers overall, I think--it seems to have more officers with 90 or above military than Shu (oddly Hao Zhao is one of the games very few 90+ military officers--he's better than Zhang He and Xu Huang), and they have higher numbers than most of Shu's--although Ma Chao has the highest military stat I've seen in the game with 98 cavalry--and Wei also has an amazing domestics team compared to the others--several above 90 farming officers and plenty of 80s in commerce.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 am

Speaking of Ma Chao, this is the results of Liu Biao's crossbow troops taking on the boys from Liang and their armored knights.
http://tinypic.com/r/t9hbns/9

His stats:
http://tinypic.com/r/538rkm/9

He's no mathematician but that 110 Combat is kind of crazy, he's even thrashing the swordmasters in duels. Definitely overpowered with knights.
I'll have see what happens up north with Lu Bu and Yuan Shao.

Edit: Ma Chao also just hired Zhuge Liang on his first try :o
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 am

I do hope, even if the AAR stuff isn't really necessary at this point, that you both post any interesting tidbits like you have been doing. I appreciate all the commentary so far, but am curious about the mid to late game portion. Thanks! :)
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I do hope, even if the AAR stuff isn't really necessary at this point, that you both post any interesting tidbits like you have been doing. I appreciate all the commentary so far, but am curious about the mid to late game portion. Thanks! :)

I appreciate the encouragement, I just wish there were a few more people playing this to share their thoughts on the game.

I'm in mid game now, just finished off Liu Biao and I want to get rid of Liu Zhang before heading into the central plains. I noticed while fighting Liu Biao he was way too focused on archers and infantry, but he did start sending out cavalry to try to counter me. Although he never fielded any pike or spear units which would have really helped his cause.
Huang Zhong was by far his best officer and he could only do so much.
Cao Cao and Yuan Shao won't have those issues, so I'm sure they'll give me some good fights.

A couple things that are getting concerning:
The AI has been pretty passive for the most part. Yuan Shao could flatten Gongsun Du, Zhang Yan, and even Lu Bu at the same time, but for whatever reason he made alliances with all 3 of them. He has 7 cities, the highest tech and well over 500k troops(not sure exactly)
The only fighting that's been going on consistently has been between Cao Cao and Sun Ce.
Shou Chun, Ru Nan and Jiang Xia has changed hands at least a half dozen times. Neither force seems to be able to hold them against the other.
Sun Ce seems to have no interest in Jiangdong whatsoever, which feels pretty odd. I'm in year 209 and Yan Baihu is still on the map :|

The other thing is my AI prefects. I can't do districts and viceroys like Koei, so I try to put a competent officer in charge of the city and give him 4 or 5 officers if it's a backwater town and 10 to 12 if it's a frontline city.
Each city has slider bars where you can set taxes, increase commerce, farming, defense, recruiting etc.
They actually do a pretty good job of handling the tasks but they're constantly going broke and running out of food. Even when I set taxes to "0" they overspend. I hate having to go back and micromanage 15 other cities while trying to focus on the capital and the front. Basically, I need to figure out if it's a gameplay issue or I'm doing something wrong here.

One good news is I have figured out how to save sceenshots on Steam like Gray Riders was doing haha. So, if there is anything you'd like to see I'd be glad to post it.
I'll be taking it slowly as I won't have as much time in the upcoming weeks.
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 am

Sakae Wu wrote:The other thing is my AI prefects. I can't do districts and viceroys like Koei, so I try to put a competent officer in charge of the city and give him 4 or 5 officers if it's a backwater town and 10 to 12 if it's a frontline city.
Each city has slider bars where you can set taxes, increase commerce, farming, defense, recruiting etc.
They actually do a pretty good job of handling the tasks but they're constantly going broke and running out of food. Even when I set taxes to "0" they overspend. I hate having to go back and micromanage 15 other cities while trying to focus on the capital and the front. Basically, I need to figure out if it's a gameplay issue or I'm doing something wrong here.

Hmm, mine haven't run out of resources, but I never give them both troop recruitment orders and major city development orders at the same time. Could that be it?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 am

Gray Riders wrote:Hmm, mine haven't run out of resources, but I never give them both troop recruitment orders and major city development orders at the same time. Could that be it?

I thought about that. That I was giving them too much to do. And I tried to make them all either city development or military expansion. But they're still having problems. Well, it's really 4 or 5 out of 15 that continually run out of resources.
Maybe they just have problems getting stabilized once they go broke.

Now I'm trying to only use the commerce and security sliders for the 5 cities in question, I'll see how that works out~
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:37 am

New patch with the updated english translation. A lot of previously untranslated messages are now translated. They don't seem to have changed many existing messages so there is still a bit of "off" english. The scenario intros are also too large for the window and can't be fully read.
They changed the city policy screen a little but I'm not certain how it works now.
Also this:
3.Improved employments of officer from destroyed force. If you destroy a force, their un-captured officers will be free and show in your employ lists (no
need to search them out again)

I initially thought this mean you could employ captured officers from anywhere, but what it actually seems to be is that officers who weren't captured after their force was destroyed use to go "hidden" again, and now they just go "free" instead.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 am

Another patch just added that has a few nice features.

Free officers can now offer to join your force, which I thought was long overdue. So much time spent sending my men out trying to hire the dozens of free guys wandering around aimlessly.
The other big one is certain city features give out specialty items. Such gold bullion, silk shoes, and tea. If you have a lot of cities that are well built up, you'll be getting at least several items every month. It seems excessive but at least I can keep everyone's morale high with gifts.

There's several other minor additions like having medicine "backward compatible" such as severe wound medicine cures minor.
Also some enhancements to cajole that looked kind of interesting.

The major issue is still the AI. I think until they get the strategy element sorted out it's just not going to be that good of a game.
Battles are the bread and butter in rpg 3K strategy games imo, not city building and research. Basic battle principles just seem lost here, like not marching directly into flaming infernos.
Even in mid game the AI is still trotting out their light infantry against my WuXi warriors, Armored Knights and Elite crossbow despite the fact they have researched high enough to organize diversified armies. It's just not great fun when every battle turns into a slaughter.
I like a lot of the aspects of TLW, and I think if the devs can fix the AI a bit (they say they plan to) it can end up being a pretty decent game.

For now, I'm going to put it down for a while and check on future patches.
I'm thinking I'm going to try out Warhammer II :)

Edit: I forgot to add that prisoners can escape. It seems to be a pretty small chance, but 3 managed to get away during my last game~
Sakae Wu
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games