Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 pm

First, a general thing, there'll be a major patch coming up soon with details here: https://m.nexon.com/notice/get/4?client_id=NDcyODQxMjM0

Now for Tarrot's post. ;) Liu Gong, Man Ji and Jiang Fu are all good characters to upgrade with story mode in mind. They don't just appear in Cao Cao's and Xiahou Yuan's, but they're available in several other story modes, including Xu Shu's off the top of my head. On top of that, Liu Gong and Jiang Fu in particular become good characters to use in the PvP mode Annihilation when you obtain certain artifacts, as their low cost to deploy helps you round out the rest of your team with killers. Liu Gong excels with a Leading or Chain Attack bow, while Jiang Fu enjoys the Grinning Demon Shield that redirects attacks on adjacent allies to him instead. Hao Zhao would normally be a good fit for that shield due to his statistical superiority over Jiang Fu, but redirected attacks ignore defensive immunities, and defensive immunities are what makes Hao Zhao so special. His Special Attack Immunity passive lets him shrug off critical hits, double attacks and double tactics as if they were nothing.

Purchase-wise, the gold bundle is probably the best value. The only other thing you might consider is their one bundle to make a chosen character level 99 immediately, but that's of limited value to you until you get the rest of your characters up to 60-80. On that note, when you're able to, make sure you're doing at least the second tier of the Daily Quest so you can start collecting Weapon/Armour/Accessory permits daily. You'll need those in large quantities to promote a character over level 80, they're required for all the equipment upgrades at level 63-77. You can peek at your Hao Zhao's upgrade panel to see for yourself.

Warlord/Prefect passives boost at certain thresholds. The thresholds are level 30, level 50, level 70 and level 90. Devoted people will indeed min-max those Prefect passives throughout the map. On that note, assigning extra commanders to the defense of a city you control gives a +1% bonus to rations/coins per added commander, so once you get a lot of extra characters, feel free to put them into cities for that bonus. You can assign more commanders to bigger cities.

I don't think there's a way in-game to tell who's required for a story and who's optional without outside resources, or actually getting to the part of the story where they're required and being told they're needed. Often, gold-required characters are needed for some stories, but that's not true for all of them. Chen Deng is a gold-required character, for example, but he's not currently required for any story, but if you unlock him he'll provide a Marine class option for Cao Cao's story past a certain point. On the flip side, Wei Yan is a gold-required character who has been required for both Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong's stories so far, and will be again for Liu Bei's when it finally comes.

Make sure you do an Annihilation game each week for the rewards. Your generals will be low, you'll get beaten up, but as long as you participate you'll get some gold. Once you've developed your roster, you'll be able to try to push farther and get more gold.

Using pieces to craft artifacts isn't affected by the 'bonus days'. You'll see the bonus days when you pick to Fuse artifacts. Tuesday, Friday and Sunday are 'weapon bonus days', where your chances to fuse a weapon are 50% and armour/accessories drop to 25%. With weapons being the most important, those are usually the best days to fuse. Seven star artifacts are where the really top-tier abilities hang out for the most part, so that's when you should be most concerned about fusing on the right day, when you're turning two six stars into a seven star. But you're a long ways away from being able to do that regularly and reliably.

Relics should open up whenever Raids open, and I'm not sure when exactly that is. Probably around Warlord rank 40 or 50? The weakest Raid boss will be a level 40 opponent (with absurd HP).

Alliances grant you extra rewards if you're in an active one able to complete their weekly missions. Those missions also give you a new currency you can spend in an alliance shop, which gets you items based on the alliance's level. Permits, artifacts, pouches, crafting components and more. But you need to be in an active alliance to be able to complete the missions, which might be hard for you to find at your current level. A sample alliance mission is "Spend 400 million rations this week". Which is very doable with an active group of 15+ players, but in an alliance with only 3 or 4 players actually playing, is likely impossible.

Food likely won't matter much ever, as long as you keep developing it somewhat. It does cost a lot of food to deploy higher level characters. Deploying my top group of level 99s can cost around 300k food for a single battle, but you don't spend food to go to Annihilation and I generally don't do random quests with my 99s. So they spend food to do a daily raid and attack a Mine or two, and that's it. So my food is typically capped, even given that I'm spending 4 million on devotion each day.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 pm

To add to the above, even though you're going to get slaughtered in Annihilation at your level, the current "Director's Presents" event will reward you for joining (not winning) 30 Annihilation battles by the end of the week. These event rewards are very worthwhile, clearing all nine of them will give you a 7 star artifact and an extra 3 million silver coins on top of the individual event rewards, so if you have the time you might want to take your lumps and make sure you get those 30 Annihilation battles in. You can do five in one sitting before running out of fights and needing to wait for recharges.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:37 am

To chime in...

Tarrot wrote:None of the other deals I've seen so far have been enticing enough for me to think about spending money on, outside maybe the 1-time season pass or the Gold bundle, if I find I want that much gold, or the Energy pass for down the line when I want to power-level people.

Energy is good later on, probably a bit excessive this early on for you. It took me forever to break down but the one-time season pass is also great value.

I've got a ton of wood, so I'm half-tempted to just turn half of it into paper, but it seems wasteful, and I still need a bunch of wooden twines for upgrading.

That's pretty much the entire purpose of wood, from what I can tell. I keep a spare 1000 wood sitting around for "emergency" conversions (alliance-related stuff), but anything beyond that I combine immediately.

I've got HorseFootBow to 20 because I need them for the Cao Cao extreme mode, and I think they're in Xiahou Yuan's mode as well, and that starts at 30. I'm not sure if I should bother with upgrading their gear though or just level them up to to 40 and have that be fine. I imagine Xiahou Yuan's Extreme Mode starts at 50, so it may be necessary to upgrade them just for that.

To do all of the extreme story mode stuff they are involved in, I think an eventual target of 60 is good to aim for. You can make pretty good progress without getting them to 60 first, but a lot of the story modes have one or two bottleneck stages, which basically indicate that it's time to take stragglers up another 20 levels.

I also have most of the Yellow Turbans upgraded to 20, but I'm not sure if I should promote them or not if its just for Zhang Jue's storymode.

Zhang Jue has a great prefect effect, and I believe Zhang Bao (one of his bros, anyway) has a decent one too. Plus Zhang Jue isn't a half bad sage, so he's worth leveling when you have the resources to spare. That said, his story mode is mostly a piece of cake, so unless you are trying to min/max a Turban for prefect stuff, they don't need to go beyond level 20 to clear his story.

Annihilation mode just unlocked, my generals are in general pretty low for it, so I take it the best thing is to just play once a week then get my free gold/fame from playing once a week.

Yeah I usually just do enough to complete what's required for my daily missions (5/day), and as mentioned there are occasionally event rewards that compel me to do some extra battles. I've gotten the 3200 gold payout a couple of times from doing the minimums and have found that I'm still nowhere near the point where I need to spam battles (this is like a top 100 thing those guys do).

Is there a point where Food actually becomes a resource you have to manage? I threw millions of food at my cities bring my rep up, put a ton of it into city development and troop development, and for the first time since I played got my food total low enough I could collect it, then picked up an extra 700k food shortly thereafter. I'm fine with keeping my silver at around the 500k mark because then it means I have to pick and choose how to use it, but is there a point where food matters more than silver?

I have a question. Have you maxed out your devotion? I was going to say that no, food will never be hard to come by, because it's not for me currently, but then I remembered how much of a pain it was to balance my food with city devotion.

Last thing, got a promote to 60 and a promote to 80 coming around. Obvious ones would be Zhao Yun, Yuan Shao, or Deng Ai for their storymodes, but anyone buried in their trees that's a diamond in the rough to promote up?

Zhao Yun - A good candidate, I'm 99.9% sure his story mode doesn't require gold commanders, and it's a bit tough so blasting him up to 60/80 will save some headaches/leveling. Plus Zhao Yun is OK, you will see him regularly in Annihilation battles (more in a defensive role).

Yuan Shao - Meh, I haven't touched his story mode because so much gold is involved. And I have a pretty bad completionist streak, so that should tell you something. He is also not a great commander based on his passives.

Deng Ai - You will need to buy Wen Yang after the first stage to progress. But Deng Ai himself is a solid, kind of tanky commander with decent passives.

-----

I am debating the same level up book issue right now. Torn between Liu Bei since I have his sword, Guan Ying from the Han banner because I eventually might need him for the Four Gods, and Guan Yinping for the same reason but WHAT A GOLD SINK SHE IS. So in the meantime I couldn't pick anyone and started Man Chong's final steps on his journey from 80 to 99 :evil:

Edit: Side note. As a time killer I have been hunting spearmen for our alliance mission by checking the XL and Large cities from time to time for good practice battles. I basically have Zhuge Liang spam Typhoon while several healers Rally him. It basically serves no functional purpose, but is oddly kind of satisfying.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Looks like the update broke the game for me. I kept getting stuck on Reading Meta Data and it wouldn't load no matter what I did. Uniinstalled and reinstalled the game, hopefully that'll fix the issue, but might not be on for a while till whatever this is is fixed.

*EDIT*

Nevermind, turns out completely uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick.

*EDIT2*

Now, it has an issue of every time I log on (twice so far) it has to download 32 megs of patch files, which means I need to go back to using Windscribe to get the files. I can log off Windscribe and stay in the game without using up my data on it, but its still annoying to have to take two minutes each time to log in.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:52 pm

If it's any consolation, you are not alone and I saw that a number of people are having login problems.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Oh, I'm able to log on and play, I just have to do a workaround to get it to work (turn on my VPN, load the game/30megs of downloads, once I'm in turn off the VPN and the game plays fine since I don't have to get stuff from the US server). Annoying, but I can get in.

Hammered out Liangzhou North today, first time the fort battles actually were harder than the city battles because I think I'm running up against people who just don't care about upgrading their troops, which to be honest, there is a lack of siege combat in the game that's missing or raids on cities to justify troops, which Practice mode doesn't cover. Speaking of practice mode, I'm using that to level up my promoted guy's equipment, because two of them can just about solo any city that pops up at the moment, and it costs nothing on resources outside their energy, so I do shifts of Zhao Yun/Deng Ai/Taishi Ci/Hao Zhao beating up on stuff.

I thinK I'm finally at a point where I can level my guys. The story-mode is finally caught up to Level 20, and most of my guys are in the mid 20s with my healers/Strike Force in their early 30s now. I'd been holding off cause I lacked the resources to upgrade their gear but now I got about eveyrone upgraded. I'm still running a paper/Wooden Twine shortage, but its more manageable now. The inner min/maxer in me is enjoying figuring out whose gear to upgrade and which pieces to upgrade and when to actually go up from Rank x to y.

Couple random currency questions: What exactly does Fame do? I know I can buy things in the store with it, but does it do anything else? Also, I have edicts that right now are only seemingly useful for increasing Devotion, should I use them for Devotion or is there another use for them?

Due to hammering out the Annihilation battles, I'm going to end up with an extra 5 million in silver, and I've already gotten a couple million in silver to begin with, so I'm thinking what to put it into. Research is already about as close to done as it is, so I'm wondering if I should use it to mass-recruit officers from Yuan Shao or Deng Ai's banner, or just reinvest it in the cities to try to get my tax levels up to 10.

I know the Meng Huo quests are repeatable, but I haven't had time to play them all out. What are all of the quests? I have the 500k food and silver one, what other ones would I be missing?

Also, cause it's the even thingie, should I go about upgrading my artifacts? I have a couple 7* artifacts, but that's like a million silver to upgrade, so I'm not sure if the rewards are worth it.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Fame is only a currency to buy things. The 'best' use of it is likely to buy those Weapon/Armour/Accessory permits I mentioned before for high-level equipment upgrades, and that costs 1200 Fame each, so it's not especially fast, but it's another source of them. For smaller amounts you can pick up some low level artifacts.

Edicts are only for raising devotion. The only special note about them is that sometimes alliance missions might require players to spend a certain number of Edicts on raising devotion, but I can't imagine that will be relevant for you for a while, and you can always get more Edicts to do that later if needed.

There's three Meng Huo quests. You can do them with any level of character, the quests scale entirely from 1-99, so as long as you deploy four characters of similar level they should be able to get them all done. The first one gives 200k silver, the second 200k rations, the third 15 artifact pieces. You can do them each day, so over time the artifact pieces will add up.

As for how to spend all of that silver, I'm not really sure. There's bad diminishing returns bringing cities up to level 10, it'll take a really long time for it to pay off, but looking long term it will pay off eventually. But it might be more advantageous for you to go on that mass recruiting spree (if you have enough jade for the initial unlocks), giving you lots of characters to auto-quest with and to selectively level up for either direct use or as prefects. And just to note, even when the game initially launched, there were still large spikes of silver coin influxes from events/login rewards, so while the amount you have might be unusually high, the concept has existed since the start. When I began playing at launch, I was scared to claim one of those million silver coin rewards from my mail because I thought it would be wasted due to my max storage cap, I didn't know it'd still let me take all of them!

Finally, on artifact upgrades, I'd put that off for now. It does make them more powerful, but that's a late-game activity when you've handled most of the other things you can spend silver coins on. With that said, what are your seven star artifacts? Not all of them are good, but some of them are really really good...
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:09 pm

I should be Warlord Rank 40 tomorrow, so a bunch of upgrades will unlock in Research then, and the 3 mill ought to cover most of it. I spent much of the 2 mill upgrading my city's food supplies so all my cities are at 5 now, with the exceptions being Market/Treasury at 6 and Market at 7 for some, with relevant prefects in each city who I'm working to get up to 30 for the silver bonuses. For me, when I got the massive bonus to start the game, I barely noticed the money I spent and felt nothing from upgrading my city, so keeping around 1 million is my goal and dumping the excess into other stuff so I can have that feeling of decision.

I've only got about 1k Jade seals, should get more with the Warlord Rank 40 hit, but I haven't started on the Wu banners at all yet. I'm currently going through the Zhao Yun/Deng Ai banner to pick up any officers who have a story by their names. I know Lu Meng is god in those banners, and I should have 5k+ gold tomorrow, so he might be the next person I work towards unlocking.

For artifacts, since the event is 5-7, list of what I have at each rank. I'll also get a 4-7 and 5-7 Voucher tomorrow, and pieces for another 6* as well.

5*: Slaughtered Immortal Sword, Ironspine Serpent Spear, Light Bamboo Belt (HP), Mint (Rage, increase attack for each attack taken/turn), Thousand Horse (Move +2)

6*: Spirit Bow (Confuse), Spiked Crossbow (Confuse), Venomous Ji (Poison)

7*: Heavenly Sword (double attack), Vermillion Bird Mace (First Strike, counter-attack before an attack), Plain Navy Armor (Agi 15%+)

While on artifacts: With the crappy 1* artifacts, is it better to fuse them or to convert them? AFAIK, Fusion guarantees an upgrade to 2* while Conversion has a chance to upgrade, or a chance to become a Permit/Voucher, and I'm wondering if that might be more valuable than an armor that does very little or +5 MP.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:09 am

Status-inflicting weapons generally aren't too highly prized, so don't get too attached to those ones. Early in the game they're still very useful for the stats they provide, but down the road you'll want to look at fusing those six stars to try to get new seven star items with better effects.

The Heavenly Sword is a guaranteed freebie, but it's still very good, as I'm sure you've noticed. The First Strike mace isn't the best-in-slot on any character, but it's quite strong on Diaochan once she's leveled up and her passives are purchased. It'll let her hit anyone who tries to hit her first, triggering her Leading Attack to let her get two attacks even though she's technically on the defensive. The armour is useable, not the best, but worth keeping.

While I'm here, a note on Diaochan (and other characters like Lu Meng). The MP Attack passive is very badly translated in-game. You do not deal more damage with lower MP as it says. Instead, it adds your current MP total directly onto your attack damage, then you lose 10% of your MP. More MP is better for it. It's a very powerful passive skill for dancers like Diaochan, as well as Lu Meng.

On the 5* Rage artifact, while there's better versions of it at 6 and 7 stars, the effect for it triggers for each physical attack directed at the character, even if they miss. The 7 star version is one of the best accessories for Hao Zhao, giving him an extra 20% Attack per enemy attack sent his way, letting him turn his strong defense into strong offense.

For one star artifacts, you can go either way. Fusing will guarantee that you'll get a two star artifact, letting you work your way up from there. But converting has a chance of turning it back into Treasure Chest Vouchers, which can in turn be turned into stat-boosting scrolls. Converting is the only way to get those Treasure Chest Vouchers besides gaining them naturally over time from login rewards (and eventually Xuchang tributes). Converting bad 7 star artifacts back to 6 star for another chance will often reward you with 15 Vouchers, so that's more 'profitable' than 1 stars, if you count having to get rid of a 7 star artifact as being profitable.

But yeah, some people advocate converting one star and three star artifacts. Others prefer to fuse. I usually fuse, myself, but sometimes I go the other way.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Got my "We screwed up the servers so here's 4k gold" present, so used that to unlock Tian Feng today. I think with the various rewards, I shouldn't have problems unlocking Wen Chou or Gongsun Zan by the time I get around to their stories.

Unlocked Trial of the Four Gods/Vermillion Bird stuff, I assume this is just extra PvE stuff for rewards? Between the daily quests and clearing out all the zones (might stop doing the early zones once I get enough of a wood/paper buffer just because of the time involved) and the days I decide to invade a new territory, I'm not sure if I'll have the time for extra stuff to do, but is there anything really to be gained there, outside of relics?

Cleared the Cao Cao northern campaign thingie, so I presume artifacts you get from stages only count once and you can't get a second copy in extreme mode since I only have one Exp book. I presume the awards, outside the challenge stuff, are just a couple of artifacts, although it seems like most of the artifacts aren't really all that great by the time you clear the zone. Not sure how much its worth my time to go out and clear the extreme zones.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games