Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Tarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Latest day latest thoughts:

1: Did not realize story-mode was average level of all commanders, so got my ass handed to me by the Level 6/7 battles because my Cao Cao was leveled up to about 15 when most of my guys were about 7-9. Made getting the seals a lot more difficult than normal, which was nice.

2: Also did not realize there were different rules for Story and normal mode, namely that levels raise your HP/MP to full in Story but not in normal. Was first confused at it till I realized it was a callback to the original game and liked that a lot.

3: Finally started using the training mode w/ 2x speed and autobattle, I kinda figured you want 3 of the same movement type characters + 1 healer for whatever you do. You also don't want magic users because its quicker to level them by attacking high-level guys from afar with spells, and they run out of MP so fast. I imagine that the MP recovery item from the Extreme Northern Campaign mode is a great thing for a healer to have.

4: Also realized that you can't level up past 20 unless you get promoted. Tied in with training mode, the "easy" way to level would be to put an unpromoted level 20 healer and just run them a few times with some guys to babysit them while they beat on the enemies to level. Energy is a thing but I imagine for leveling a guy, its enough energy to last.

I think the autobattle is going to make this last a while for me. I tend to multitask a ton anyways, so having this up in the background to check on every few minutes will be nothing to me, only coming on to "play" the siege and storymodees.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:16 am

Autobattle is indeed very important for doing the mundane quests and leveling new commanders! As for sending a healer along with others to train them, that's helpful at first but won't always be necessary. Another callback to the original Legend of Cao Cao is the set of Pouch artifacts. You remember Yan Liang and his Bean Bag? There are similar items in the game that will automatically use healing items on characters who are hit. You'll get some from story mode, but they're also available as randomly rolled 3 and 4 star artifacts, with healing items ranging in effectiveness from 30 HP all the way up to 180 HP. By equipping these Pouches to your characters, you can send them forth to train mostly risk-free, as long as you have enough healing items, and those healing items are pretty cheap to come by in the shop.

The "Promotion" at level 20 shouldn't be too hard. You don't need to collect Seal items like in the original game, you just need to upgrade your characters' equipment as you go, which is what those materials from doing quests go towards. Try to focus on a few characters at a time rather than everyone, because you'll run out of raw materials that way. As you open more regions to quest in, you'll be able to get more materials every day and thus upgrade more equipment.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:05 am

Just finished taking Youzhou, and I'm still trying to figure out how the levels work in the Story system. In the 2nd Puyang Battle, it has a recommended level of 7, but all the generics were 10+, and Lu Bu/Chen Gong at like 15 or 16. I'm trying to figure if it scales to your average level or if there's a cap of sorts where they scale up to that point.

In my mailbox I've got two Promotion things from the recent event that expire in 6 days, one for up to 60, and one for up to 80. I kinda want to avoid gaming the system, so I want to put them on characters I'll need them on at some point in the future, but who I'm not going to use for a while. Ideally, I'd put it on story characters who I'd need for the various story extreme modes. I just unlocked Guan Yu and Taishi Ci's banners, and I'll probably pick up Yuan Shao's in a couple of days, so any recommendations for who to super-upgrade?

Right now I'm starting to feel the resource and silver crunch. I finally started developing my cities because I could start collecting silver. I know in the long-run its obviously better to max out city development, but from the short-run, it seems best to level the Market/Treasury up to 5 since at 6 its like +200 silver/hour for 10k silver to upgrade, plus the Keep costs, so having to wait 50+ hours of collecting to break even just seems a bit much when I'm trying to hover around the 500k mark. I auto-battle through the region quests, and I know you get fewer resources if you don't capture the forts/villages on the map, but I always seem to be lacking so far while upgrading. I'm not sure how much better it is to just buy from the store (I do that for all the L7 equipment) than to craft it from mats.

Are there ways to do siege battles outside attacking unoccupied cities? There's a thing that says you're limited to 50 siege battles/day, but I don't see a way to do them to cities you already have. I know Practice mode is similar, but I'm looking for something where I can raid cities to pick up silver and such.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:02 am

I can explain how the levels work in the story system. The "recommended level" is the minimum level for your current stage. If your entire team averages to level 7, the enemies will be at the minimum level they can be for that stage (which might be higher than 7 for some of them). If your entire team averages to level 5, the enemies won't be any weaker. However, if you deploy a team with a higher average level, the enemy's levels will be higher to compensate.

With that said, not all enemies on the map are the same level. Sometimes generic troops might be lower level, in situations where they're meant to be slaughtered en masse. On the flip side, stronger enemies, particularly named generals like Lu Bu/Chen Gong, will often be higher level than the other enemy forces (and your own average level), by up to five levels. They're meant to be a challenge!

Level 6 or so should be your target for city buildings to optimize. Level 10 is the eventual goal, but where you are now it's much more cost-effective to get a new city and make it level 6 than to spend the fortune to upgrade past level 6 for much smaller returns.

You can't do siege battles outside of attacking unoccupied cities. You can attack an unoccupied city, destroy the granary and silver buildings and then retreat, to "loot" the player you attacked without capturing his city, and then attack it again to repeat it on someone else's. But that might not be the best use of your time. ;) Login rewards will give you extra silver/food bumps every week or so, so you have that to look forward to.

As for characters to make level 60 and level 80, that's your call, really. A level 60 or 80 Taishi Ci could probably mostly solo his own story, with the extra characters dragging down the average level to let him romp. If you're willing to spend gold to unlock a character, Tian Feng in Yuan Shao's banner is a good tactician to use and also has the top-tier warlord ability improving both silver and ration collection by up to 20%. This ability is shared by Xu Shu (who is not a good tactician to use), Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang, Zhang Zhao and Bian Yue Xiang, so they're other options for you, though they come somewhat later. Except for Xu Shu. Who isn't good.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Did some more experimenting, and there's definitely a level cap. I remember trying to level on the one 3 sets of 3x3 bandit stage and their guys were at Level 7 when I went back, then I did it again today with much higher levels than before and they're still at Level 7. I figured this because between the two days I raised my guys levels a lot, like about 4-5 per character in battle, and the levels of Lu Bu's guys barely moved.

Tian Feng is going to take some work to get. I'm at 4678 right now in Gold, and he's at 5520. Just looking at easily obtainable quests, I can get 500 from uniting Youzhou and 200 from purchasing 3 more characters, so that'd put me 150ish off, and hopefully I can get enough in the next few days from other things to unlock and promote him.

On the regional daily quests: I notice that some quests have a list of 6 things, and then after the quest, there's a yellow bar underneath that goes part-way on the quest. I assume that this is a measure of how well you did on the quest, and the rewards you got, ignoring the seals part, but any idea what it is for that? Like, is it conditions like how fast you do it, or what forts you occupy on the map, or something else? The bar tends to just go past the crafting mats and then not go to the consumables, so I'm guessing just what you picked up, but I'm curious.

Related, the story battles, I assume that the gear you get is one-time only (unless there's a 2x) and only related to how well you clear the stage, but just curious if you know. Also, some of the Cao Cao story modes have multiples of Artifact gear (2 Lu Bu Bows, 6 of the MP Sword/Anti-Crit Armor), so I assume that this means you can farm up to 6 copies of this equipment? The Liu Xian rescue is easy enough to farm to test, but just curious so asking here.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Tian Feng, while one of the better characters available in the early banners, might not be the best use of your gold if it's very limited. I suggested him because you wanted to avoid overleveling the Cao Cao characters, but if your gold stores are slim and you don't intend to spend money on the game (which is fine), it might be better to save your gold for other characters later. Tian Feng is still a good tactician, but there's other worthy characters to unlock with gold too, like Hao Zhao who's a banner or two further down the road, and is a much better Footman character compared to other available ones (Pang De/Yue Jin/Cao Hong) than Tian Feng is relative to Xun Yu/Cheng Yu/etc.

But you're not likely to get to Hao Zhao before those items go away.

Gold can be obtained by F2P players by playing the PvP mode Annihilation, which rewards weekly gold based on how well you do. That will stack up with your daily tributes and other sources. At my level, I earn just over 6000 gold weekly from my Annihilation performance and the tributes from unifying the land. If I push hard in PvP, I can win an extra 2000 gold from the next highest ranking, but I normally don't put that much effort in.

The story mode artifacts should be one per stage. Some stages that have two different artifacts, you can replay the stage to get the second item that you missed the first time. I don't think you can get two Lu Bu Bows, but some items appear in other story modes as well, which will give you an opportunity to earn a second copy of them.

If you tell me what Lu Bu stage you're trying, I can send a flock of high level characters there to tell you what level the opponents become. Bear in mind that the regional quests operate differently, they post both a minimum and a maximum level range, so it's entirely possible to outlevel those ones. Story mode quests should be different and not have a maximum level attached.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:40 pm

I may end up being able to get Hao Zhao before the event ends. If I take Youzhou tomorrow or Tuesday, I ought to take Bingzhou on Wednesday, so I should have access to Hao Zhao within a few days. I might throw a little money into the game, I was actually going to buy one of the $3 bonuses today but my credit card payment failed (my bank's website is offline, so I assume its a server issue with them that'll block any purchases until they're back online).

If you want to check the Cao Cao story-mode, Falling Like Dominoes is the stage I tested before, and all the guys there were level 7. Maybe its a thing for only Cao Cao's stage and for the other story modes it'll be totally based on level without a cap.

I tested the multi-artifact thing and didn't get it, but you can see in Outlaw and Emperor Xian that the artifacts have a 2x and 6x by it so I'm curious why that is. I might try replaying the invade Tao Qian stage overleveled to see if I can get extra gear there since I didn't kill Liu Bei & Co. my first time through.

Next question: How does VIP experience go up? The thing says using gold coins, but I've barely used any (a handful to reset turns) so there's no way it should've went up as much as it did (3/4 way through Level 2). I assume silver coins spent would also impact it, but then there's the thing by the daily logins, so I'm a little unsure how that all works.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 am

Chiming in on the backlog...

3: Finally started using the training mode w/ 2x speed and autobattle, I kinda figured you want 3 of the same movement type characters + 1 healer for whatever you do.

Basically yes. I know Xiahou Mao gave some other advice related to pouches, but if you want totally free leveling, 3 + healer is what I do. It's good to pick up some more healers when you go to recruit because they come in handy for auto questing, that "chosen officers" banner has a few of them who will come in handy for story modes later as well. Plus if you ACC artifact slot is free due to not needing pouches, you can give a slower officer a +SPD horse to keep up with the faster ones. This doesn't really matter when you have a lot of people to train, but when it's only a few, it's nice to have that flexibility.

You also don't want magic users because its quicker to level them by attacking high-level guys from afar with spells, and they run out of MP so fast. I imagine that the MP recovery item from the Extreme Northern Campaign mode is a great thing for a healer to have.

You can train magic users but my trick to that is to only send out magic users. And running out of MP is actually a good thing because they are forced to do melee. Just bear in mind that they will get smacked around in battle and probably won't clear the stage, but that's what you want because it'll raise their armor.

(Side note: Although because ranged units don't have MP, I usually train them separately from the mages.)

A level 60 or 80 Taishi Ci could probably mostly solo his own story...

Hehe, he almost can. That stupid Liu Yao stage throws things off though, since you have enemies coming from two directions and Liu Yao's AI is programmed to run headlong into things. Taishi Ci can't be in two places at once, so I had to level up Chen Lin and...I believe it was a Yellow Turban archer or thug?...to level 40 so I could hold things together long enough for Taishi Ci to wreck face.

Next question: How does VIP experience go up? The thing says using gold coins, but I've barely used any (a handful to reset turns) so there's no way it should've went up as much as it did (3/4 way through Level 2). I assume silver coins spent would also impact it, but then there's the thing by the daily logins, so I'm a little unsure how that all works.

As far as I know it's not using gold coins, it's clearing story mode chapters, and spending actual money. You can get points for up to 3 chapters per day, and it can be chapters you've previously completed. So as long as you're doing your daily missions, you should get your base VIP points there. Which I'm too lazy to monitor carefully, but seems to be around 450 points per day.

I've spend actual money a few times and you of course get VIP points for that, but I think the rate is something like roughly $1 (of whatever currency you are using) = 100 points. Or maybe it is 1,000?? And while VIP levels are helpful, the biggest appeal to me is the free extra levels for commanders you get, and free quest expeditions. So personally I wouldn't obsess too much about the VIP level.

I tested the multi-artifact thing and didn't get it, but you can see in Outlaw and Emperor Xian that the artifacts have a 2x and 6x by it so I'm curious why that is. I might try replaying the invade Tao Qian stage overleveled to see if I can get extra gear there since I didn't kill Liu Bei & Co. my first time through.

Huh, that's weird, I am looking at those stages now, and I never noticed the multipliers by the story artifacts. You get the artifacts from fulfilling a particular requirement (often, defeating a particular general). There are multiple copies of certain story artifacts, but I have only ever gotten one artifact from a given story chapter, despite repeated questing. The multiplier thing therefore doesn't really make sense to me... :?

If you want to check the Cao Cao story-mode, Falling Like Dominoes is the stage I tested before, and all the guys there were level 7. Maybe its a thing for only Cao Cao's stage and for the other story modes it'll be totally based on level without a cap.

I checked with 3 80s and a 99 on the normal mode, the enemies are level 67 in this stage for me. That may be the level cap since my average would be 74...?

Edit: If I divide by 5 instead I do get 67 for enemy levels, so I guess that's right.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am

Just realized that there was another round of "Director's Presents" events added. And yep, another 60 and 80 book. Plus some other really good prizes. Can't help but suspect this is related to the upcoming merger somehow...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 pm

After spending hours yesterday scouring the internet to find a copy of Legend of East Wu, I conquered Bingzhou, got Deng Ai's banner, made a beeline for Hao Zhao and upgraded him to 80. Apparently I'll still have to end up buying Tian Feng and Wen Chou in order to unlock Yuan Shao's storymode, but that's a long ways off when I get to that.

I figured since I put so much time into the game I'd give them a couple small purchases and got the $1 newbie bundle + the $10 Warlord bundle that had the various artifacts + the double attack weapon/heal armor for autoquesting when I don't want Cao Cao's sword to kill things too quick. Put all my excess silver into tech research and silver development among my cities that should pay for itself a month down the line or so. None of the other deals I've seen so far have been enticing enough for me to think about spending money on, outside maybe the 1-time season pass or the Gold bundle, if I find I want that much gold, or the Energy pass for down the line when I want to power-level people.

I would've put my silver into upgrading all my general's gear, but I'm starting to hit a resource crunch now, in particular, paper, and bronze to a lesser exent. I've got a ton of wood, so I'm half-tempted to just turn half of it into paper, but it seems wasteful, and I still need a bunch of wooden twines for upgrading. So I've only got a few people who have fully upgraded equipment (Liberation Death Squad of Cao Cao/Liu Ye/Xu Chu/Man Chong or Xun You/Yue Jin or Xiahou Dun) and the rest I'm trying to rag-tag pieces together and level it up via zone quests/storymode.

I've got all the Cao Cao story generals over 20 now and promoted, and my decisions on who I pick for a stage are more based on who I have gear that I can upgrade with a little bit of balance composition filled in. Because the story stages are so far below me in general experience, I'm just doing the 3/day to fill out the daily quests while I wait on having enough stuff to pick up gear for. I'm buying gear in the Commerce/Peddler parts of the shop when they appear, as well as Paper stuff from the normal shop, because of the resource crunch, so people like Zhang Liao and Diao Chan have to wait to get their stuff upgraded because I've yet to unlock them. I've got HorseFootBow to 20 because I need them for the Cao Cao extreme mode, and I think they're in Xiahou Yuan's mode as well, and that starts at 30. I'm not sure if I should bother with upgrading their gear though or just level them up to to 40 and have that be fine. I imagine Xiahou Yuan's Extreme Mode starts at 50, so it may be necessary to upgrade them just for that.

I also have most of the Yellow Turbans upgraded to 20, but I'm not sure if I should promote them or not if its just for Zhang Jue's storymode. Empress He is my current Warlord because she has a net 2% boost to tax collection, and I might upgrade her since the Warlord/Prefect passives upgrade with levels (not sure how), and I might look into my other prefects and upgrade them if they got silver gaining prefect passives (I know He Jin has that, I think if min/maxing I should look for people who have passives to a particular development like ports and stuff).

If I'm right: Characters who have a Story by their name when you recruit them are available in the various story modes, at least of one kind or another. I know that the main story modes have a gold story by their name, and I know I can look on the LOCCO reddit to find the required generals, but is there a way to distinguish when recruiting who is required and who is just bonus for stages?

Onto actual gameplay questions instead of just recapping the last few days. Annihilation mode just unlocked, my generals are in general pretty low for it, so I take it the best thing is to just play once a week then get my free gold/fame from playing once a week.

I have enough artifact pieces to craft a level 6 artifact, but I remember reading somewhere that once a week was a bonus day for crafting with artifacts. Does that include using the pieces to craft stuff or is that just artifact fusion?

When do Relics unlock? I know I've acquired a few relics so far along the game, but the tab is still something I can't click on.

Do Alliances do anything or is it just a social thing within the game? I know there's a rank for alliances but I'm not sure what game impact they have.

Is there a point where Food actually becomes a resource you have to manage? I threw millions of food at my cities bring my rep up, put a ton of it into city development and troop development, and for the first time since I played got my food total low enough I could collect it, then picked up an extra 700k food shortly thereafter. I'm fine with keeping my silver at around the 500k mark because then it means I have to pick and choose how to use it, but is there a point where food matters more than silver?

Last thing, got a promote to 60 and a promote to 80 coming around. Obvious ones would be Zhao Yun, Yuan Shao, or Deng Ai for their storymodes, but anyone buried in their trees that's a diamond in the rough to promote up?
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games