Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 am

I'll report how I do with my level 80 Huang Zhong once I start going through it. I do have a level 99 Wei Yan now to support, though, so that should help!
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:20 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:I'll report how I do with my level 80 Huang Zhong once I start going through it. I do have a level 99 Wei Yan now to support, though, so that should help!

I'm guessing it's more like Wei Yan will be your main while Huang Zhong supports... :wink:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:All I can guess is that your connection changed in some way that actually made it unstable. Or, not likely but, possibly you have an older apk file that no longer works. I have lots of weird connection issues but I can always connect.

I tried running an older version of the game as a test and it finally told me I couldn't download the new version cause of my country.

Hmm that's normal when your apk file is out of date.

Maybe try to reinstall the latest apk file one more time and see if that works?

Its definitely the latest apk. And I can load the Taiwanese version fine but the Global version just gets perpetually stuck at Connection Issues, so I'm fairly certain they're implementing geoblocking for one reason or another. I'll continue to search for a way to try to change my settings to look like I'm in the US and see if I can get it to work then. Although, if servers are getting merged within a month, maybe things will be fine then.

edit Got it working with a VPN, I'm surprised how much resources it takes to stream the game (outside the initial 700 mb download, I used up 1.3 GB playing the game for like an hour, and the free VPN I have is capped at 10 MB/month). I'll probably play a little each day but can't splurge on the story mode or such until things are settled.

edit2 Tried it again without the VPN up, and now its working for me. I guess the problem was I needed to download that first 700 mb patchfiles to get started, but now that I got an account up I can play. That's real weird, but means I can play more.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Excellent troubleshooting! Will try to keep in mind what led you to success in case it happens to others.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Ok, ran into a kinda-weird thing here.

I'm going through the missions, did the first two territories, and now I'm trying to take Xia Pi. All the generals in the stage are Level 3, but the keep is populated by level 15 soldiers, and the Keep itself is level 19. And I got 20 turns to try to take it. I know there's a PvP element to the game, and I know that Halloween gave a massive influx of gold and such, but how exactly am I supposed to compete with this when Cao Cao at 9 is my highest guy? Like, I'm having a fun time, and now I'm forced to excessively power-level just to do anything related to quests.

*edit* I see the 40 minute thing at the top of the screen, so I assume in 1 hour I can rescout and find a more manageable battle, but still this seems like gaming the system heavily.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Tarrot wrote:Ok, ran into a kinda-weird thing here.

I'm going through the missions, did the first two territories, and now I'm trying to take Xia Pi. All the generals in the stage are Level 3, but the keep is populated by level 15 soldiers, and the Keep itself is level 19. And I got 20 turns to try to take it. I know there's a PvP element to the game, and I know that Halloween gave a massive influx of gold and such, but how exactly am I supposed to compete with this when Cao Cao at 9 is my highest guy? Like, I'm having a fun time, and now I'm forced to excessively power-level just to do anything related to quests.

*edit* I see the 40 minute thing at the top of the screen, so I assume in 1 hour I can rescout and find a more manageable battle, but still this seems like gaming the system heavily.

You're in the PvP section of the game if you're trying to take Xiapi. And that's okay. If you roll a defender who has high level defense, there's a "reroll/rescout" button at the bottom-right you can pick to spend a small amount of resources (either rations or silver coins, I forget which) to try to target a different player. Keep doing that until you find someone you can beat. You can wait out the timer at the top of the screen, too, but the reroll is much more convenient.

And it's been a while since I've done it, but being level 9 by the time you're attacking Xiapi seems low. You might want to run some more Quests and story missions and such to level your characters up. The real test to see if you're at the proper level for the region you're in are the ports and forts and such manned entirely by NPCs, the locations that provide no resources on capture. If those are much higher level than your characters, you're pushing on too far and need to build up. If they're challenging but beatable, then you're good enough to be in that region! Just be wary of the player targets who've built up their defenses and avoid them.

(for what it's worth, I don't recommend building up your own defenses.. you're limited on how much territory you can lose at a time. You don't lose upgraded buildings when you lose a castle, they're still there when you recapture it.)
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 am

Yeah just to chime in...

There will come a point where you will want to start actively and rapidly conquering cities...you are nowhere near that point now. There is no race to the finish against other lords in this part of the game and the only real reward you get for uniting the country is a handful of daily gold (which is irrelevant in the immediate near term). So don't feel obligated to make that your top priority. In fact, while I know a lot of people have already played the original game, trying to complete Cao Cao's story mode is a good way to get some core early/mid game commanders built up.

Also don't be shy about leveling commanders. You have all sorts of quest options (story mode and daily quests in particular should be available early on) that let you get other rewards which also will naturally net your commanders experience.

Also, the only real advantage to taking cities is inevitably more resources. So you can float between upgrading your commanders, developing your cities, and trying to expand into new cities. (Also, don't bother developing your vaults, it's almost entirely irrelevant.)

And lastly yeah, the method for selecting the city defenders means that you can sometimes get pitted against some end-game player that will be impossible to take on. So just refresh or let the timer count down and try again. There are definitely targets more in your range to conquer in every city, sometimes you just have to refresh a few times to get one. As Xiahou Mao mentioned, the gates and ports will give you a very clear idea of expected commander levels in a given area.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 am

Got a bad case of trying to level everyone equally. I remember in the original how you wanted to avoid over-leveling except when using it to exploit things, so tried to keep everyone even. Learning quickly that's not going to be possible, especially with all the Jade scrubs put in the way to make it harder to get the real strong officers. Right now I'm trying to focus on 1-2 of each type of unit, which still might put me out too much but I'm doing all the quests so far 3 days in. Also discovered autobattle so I can clear out the early game quests with my guys. I'm assuming this is the best way to level up equipment for people (I gave my Level 20 promotion letters to Sima Yi and Zhang Jue so they need to gear up to get promoted)

So far, I'm kinda torn on the game. I love the voice acting, and things like Liu Ye's love of balls and Cao Hong's Golden Helmet, and the quests are varied enough even if roughly the same thing. I also like the little bit of the new story battle. I also like the little nods to the original, such as the ability to undo turns, albeit for a price, which was basically mandatory for any of the mods.

On the other hand, part of the reason I loved the original LoCC and the spinoffs was the planning involved and equipment sharing to max out equipment for seeds to max out character's stats and such, as well as the whole decision on who to seal, and in later games when to use a seal so you could get a free full heal mid-battle. I still remember playing through LoEW and doing 10 stages over because I had to plan very specifically my levels to be at a particular level because that meant a massive influx of generals I got for Chi Bi all had equipment I could sell for seeds. A lot of the charm is lost without that level of micro-management to turn Liu Ye into a deathgod of AoE destruction. Plus, and I know its translated, I see so many mistakes that haven't been fixed and it makes the game feel low-rent to me. I'm surprised there isn't something out there where you can get rewards for pointing out text errors made in the game. Plus, joining during Cao-o-ween and having like 2 million silver coins just gifted to me made a lot of the early choices like research and stuff things I just auto-do, and not being able to collect tributes because I'm such a low rank that my max is capped out feels odd.

Random question: It looks like Magic users are easy to level like the original, since you can always target yourself for exp, so I assume the hard part is leveling up melee users. How does equipment get leveled up? Is it based on the enemy's level, the damage you do, just the number of times you get hit, or something else? Like, Diaochan leveled up her equipment real fast, and I noticed it moving every time she got hit, but then I had Xiahou Yuan get hit a bunch and barely noticed a budge in his equipment. I'm thinking for the magic users I might give up and just use jade seals for their armor to set up promotions.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:29 am

Leveling everyone equally is usually good, I only really used the exploit when trying to three-seal a silver or "daily" quest. (Getting three seals lets you clear it using a token/free expedition instead.) At some point though, if you don't buy the unlimited energy for a month thing, you need to have people at different levels for different things - like you don't want to waste your 40+ level people on those really early province quests, they will use up all their energy and get nothing out of it. So over time, you will naturally have some 20s, some 40s, some 60s, and some 80s that just...stay at that level.

(Alternatively, as I just discovered last week, you can throw a few bucks at the game and the commander energy thing becomes irrelevant for a month and you can kind of do whatever you want. But personally I think it's better to buy later, when the thrill of "micromanaging" commander energy issues is gone.)

-----

As for equipment and leveling up, the general rules of thumb are:

Melee - Everything goes up fast, because they get hit and countered and counter frequently
Mages - Level up fast especially when able to do multiple targets, armor hard to level
Range - Similar but usually single targets

So when in a hurry, I throw jade at mage/range armor to get it over with. You can also toss 4 mages/3 ranged and a healer into "military drills" which is basically just training. Without any melee, they will get hit more, so their armor will go up faster, meaning you need less or no jade to level up their armor.

Also yeah, you get better experience from enemies with a higher level than you, so try to keep that in mind when training, to conserve commander energy.

-----

Story Modes: Some require you spend gold for specific commanders, some do not and you can play them normally. There are lots and lots of story modes, I only recently finished off most of the free ones with 100% completion.

-----

Micromanagement: I don't know anything about the original and the seeds thing, but eventually you will start getting artifacts. These are extra equipment you can give your commanders, they can be freely passed around, fused, converted, and upgraded. You also will later start really focusing on commander passives, they have generic silver ones, and then kind of unique (in the sense that everyone has a different set of them) gold passives. Using gold to unlock the good passives on good commanders will make them OP. Also to take someone past level 80, you will need a special item to upgrade their equipment (permits) after their upgrade level reaches 9. The equipment is quite rare, so at that point you will have to carefully select who you want to take up to 99. You can clear the main map and most story mode stuff with plain Jane level 80 commanders, but for the "end-game" features (this also happens to be where the PvP kicks in), you'll need 99s.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:47 am

The old aspects of the stat fruits and carefully managing your levels isn't so much present in this one, correct. I should mention, of course, that most of the "very hard difficulty and requires strict planning" aspects of the original game came from the unofficial mods like Legend of Lu Bu rather than the base game itself. You can't really game the system anymore to keep minimum-level enemies in play, with each stage/region having a minimum level for the enemy, but there's still situations where you can make things easier for your level 80 main commander by deploying a level 12 buddy to hide in the battle and drag the average enemy level down.

As a whole, though, this is a more modern version of the game, removing a lot of those aspects that existed before that we all figured out and exploited at the time, but that aren't necessarily compelling gameplay anymore. The new stat system where the stats are boosted retroactively is convenient, for example. You don't need to figure out how to feed Liu Ye a bunch of Str fruits before leveling him to ensure he gets the maximum damage, instead you can just do that whenever, and even going over 70 Str will keep giving Liu Ye more damage (though Catapult Atk still remains lower overall than, say, Light Cavalry Atk, even given identical stats).

Of course, Liu Ye also isn't the only Catapult unit in the game anymore. You can now enlist new, powerful Catapult units like... uh, Xin Ping, and Jin Xuan, and... oh, and Zhao Fan! He gets a unique sprite!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games