Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I have yet to see Xiahou Mao :(

He's in one of the late banners. Zhen Ji's, I believe. I wrote a review for him, give it a thumbs-up! ;)

I don't really know what I am doing in terms of actual strategy in this, so I mainly focused on the ranged types (Li Dian/Xiahou Yuan/Liu Ye) and then all my S classes. Cao Cao and Zhou Yu were also promoted, with a few more ready to do so when the relevant events reset.

Ah, you have Zhou Yu? Everyone gets one random bonus character to start, and Zhou Yu is one I haven't seen before in that position, but it makes sense that he'd be an option. I got Yuan Shao. I think you did better than me. ;)

I just conquered Xuzhou and am starting to worry that I am going to piss someone off in one of these sieges and get repeatedly attacked for resources, is that a thing that can happen? I kind of barely squeaked out a win with Xiapi...

You can get attacked, but it won't be 'repeatedly for resources'. Your cities will just be taken. If you lose several cities to other players, the game will show you mercy and grant you immunity to being attacked for some hours to protect you.

It's okay to lose cities, and it's inevitable that it'll happen eventually. All you do is take them back. ;)

I'll go into a bit more detail for the attack/defenses on the China map...

Beyond the tutorials in the first two provinces, every time you attack a location on the world map, you're attacking another player. That doesn't always mean that the player you're attacking will lose the location, though. There are some factors that can keep that from happening.

First, you can only lose locations that are on your border. Once you control all routes leading to a city/port/fort, you can't lose that location, at least without first losing one of the adjacent locations so that you no longer control all routes leading to it. Second, I mentioned the game granting you protection if you lose too many locations. You can still be targeted by other players if you have protection, but you won't lose the territory if they win the fight, even though they'll still gain it. And third, you can never lose your capital city, even if it's on the border and attacked.

If you're targeted by other players but any of those conditions are true, they'll still gain a territory when they attack you and win, but you won't lose your territory in your own game (or any resources). It has to work like this, otherwise it would be impossible to actually take over China, because the progress you make would set other people back and it would be a zero-sum game.

Personally, beyond the very start when I didn't know any better, I didn't spend any resources on my defending troops. I didn't mind losing cities to other players, because it gave me a chance to counterattack them and recapture them, obtaining more Jade Seals. On that note, whenever you capture (or lose!) a city, you can collect some Jade Seals for it from the Annals menu, there'll be a marker guiding you to see the cities you've attacked or lost, and clicking each battle will give you some extra Jade Seals on beyond whatever you directly earned from the fight if you did it yourself.

And you'll notice when you lose a city to another player, because it'll light on fire on the map. But any development you've made will remain intact for when you recapture it. So develop your cities if you haven't yet! Try to develop them evenly rather than pushing a few ahead to max. The early upgrades are cheaper than the later ones, yet the later ones don't actually boost your income more. Leveling up to 5-6 or so is an ideal goal for the early game. It's more profitable to go out and capture a new city and level it to 5-6 than it is to develop existing cities beyond that, by far!
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Since the upgrade I've not been able to use my Warlord's Active ability. How do I do it now?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Since the upgrade your warlord abilities should always be in effect. You don't need to activate them anymore.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Yeah I was going to say, if someone wanted to be a jerk they could train up their troops really high so it would be hard to take cities.

And I had no idea that was why Zhou Yu joined me, is it a totally random character or random S rank character? He isn't quite as much of a tank as my Cao Cao but he is fairly sturdy. My only real issue is that he is kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

I have actuallu been doing exactly that, get a city's market up to 5 or 6 and then leave it alone, upgrading the keep gets expensive really fast.

And man, those daily quests that unlock at 20 are hard! I managed to clear them at last today but not for all the seals. Peddler mission also got mich harder which surprised me.

Edit: Oh and for those passives you pay to unlock, do those stack? It seems like they do not?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am

Zyzyfer wrote:And man, those daily quests that unlock at 20 are hard! I managed to clear them at last today but not for all the seals. Peddler mission also got mich harder which surprised me.

There is a special assignment mission which is military drills. Those you can repeat training your commanders to boost level and equipment level too. Toss a healer in the group together and your team will survive auto battles.

Speaking of which, is there a faster way for mages and archers to level train armor levels? Might need tips on that
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 am

Hyper90 wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:And man, those daily quests that unlock at 20 are hard! I managed to clear them at last today but not for all the seals. Peddler mission also got mich harder which surprised me.

There is a special assignment mission which is military drills. Those you can repeat training your commanders to boost level and equipment level too. Toss a healer in the group together and your team will survive auto battles.

Speaking of which, is there a faster way for mages and archers to level train armor levels? Might need tips on that

Oh I was more referring to the difficulty curve, I finally figured out how to get three seals somewhat dependably on the silver missions but the other daily quest, I just suck haha. It seems you can't just brute force your way through them, you have to develop some kind of particular strategy. Which, the 1-19 stuff is totally the opposite, I had no problems there.

Your mages and archers will have to take those hits to train up the armor. I guess you could try to "solo" some easy auto battle? Personally I just spend the couple of jade to get it over with if the weapon and accessory are ready to go.

Oh and I'll try asking this again, more clearly. Each officer has some passive skills that you can pay silver, and later gold, to unlock. If I unlock the first one, for like 10K silver, and then later unlock the next one which is like 70k silver, do I get both passives, or does the 70k replace the 10k? And do the gold passive operate on the same principles as the silver passives?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 am

You can only use one of those passives - you can select or change which one you're using as often as you want! That is until your character gets to Level 40 and then you get to select a 2nd passive!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:And I had no idea that was why Zhou Yu joined me, is it a totally random character or random S rank character? He isn't quite as much of a tank as my Cao Cao but he is fairly sturdy. My only real issue is that he is kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

It's not a random S rank character (I don't think Yuan Shao is S-rank), but it's a random character who either heads a banner or is one of the adjacent/gold unlocks. I've heard of people getting Ling Tong or Tian Feng, as well as Zhou Yu, Taishi Ci, Guan Yu, Xu Shu and Lu Bu.

Zhou Yu will really come into his own once you get down farther south into naval terrain. His Marine unit type excels there. He also gets the Double Tactics passive very early, at level 50, which will increase his offensive output. There's some shenanigans you can pull with Zhou Yu and certain artifacts in the end game to make him an incredibly deadly physical attacker, as well, but that's all very advanced.

And man, those daily quests that unlock at 20 are hard! I managed to clear them at last today but not for all the seals. Peddler mission also got mich harder which surprised me.

The daily missions are quite hard, yes. Don't worry too much about the level 20 version, but when you get high enough level to do the mission tagged as level 30-59, try to clear that every day. It gives a special permit that will be required while upgrading character equipment from level 60 to 80, and thus needed for the final promotion to reach level 99. Don't miss out on the chance to obtain that permit each day! Once you three-seal one of those missions, you'll be able to auto-clear it the next week with an Expedition, so you technically only need to clear each once.

Edit: Oh and for those passives you pay to unlock, do those stack? It seems like they do not?

They should stack in most cases, yes. The "Supply Tactics %" for healing, or "Physical Attack %" for extra damage. Some of the highest-end ones won't stack with artifacts that duplicate the effects. For example, with Zhou Yu, his Double Tactics passive combined with a Double Tactics sword to equip won't let him cast four tactics a turn. But that ones that simply boost stats or damage should all stack.

And yes, as Sun Fin says, you have limited slots to equip those passives. By level 99 you'll be able to equip three, but you'll just have one slot for now. More will open as you level.

Hyper90 wrote:Speaking of which, is there a faster way for mages and archers to level train armor levels? Might need tips on that

Send them into autobattles with good armour equipped, and maybe a beanbag/ricebag/etc. to keep them alive. Alternately, the lazy path is to spend extra Jade Seals to level their armour up, but early on you don't have many Jade Seals so that's not ideal.

Basically, just place your mages in harm's way. They'll gain one XP per attack aimed their direction. Make them work for it! ;)
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Sun Fin wrote:You can only use one of those passives - you can select or change which one you're using as often as you want! That is until your character gets to Level 40 and then you get to select a 2nd passive!

Xiahou Mao wrote:And yes, as Sun Fin says, you have limited slots to equip those passives. By level 99 you'll be able to equip three, but you'll just have one slot for now. More will open as you level.

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks gang 8-)

Xiahou Mao wrote:He also gets the Double Tactics passive very early, at level 50, which will increase his offensive output. There's some shenanigans you can pull with Zhou Yu and certain artifacts in the end game to make him an incredibly deadly physical attacker, as well, but that's all very advanced.

Interesting. So if he crits on a tactic (which from what I've gathered is a double tactic cast) will that be 4 casts???

And I might ask about that very advanced stuff later, if I make it to that stage haha

Edit: Okay, that does it. Today's Level 1 silver quest is *%#*ing impossible. In the other ones, Cao Cao could go solo and hold off the hordes while the silver is collected, and I could at least complete the mission in that way. Today, nope, they just slapped me around like a red-headed stepchild. Who designs these infuriating tasks?!?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Interesting. So if he crits on a tactic (which from what I've gathered is a double tactic cast) will that be 4 casts???

And I might ask about that very advanced stuff later, if I make it to that stage haha

Criticals and double attacks/tactics are entirely different things. Critical tactics exist, they're just harder to spot than critical attacks, because a critical attack is accompanied by the flash and the special quote from the attacker before he hits for bonus damage. A critical tactic doesn't get a flash or a quote, just the screen shaking as the tactic hits for bonus damage.

As such, it's impossible for a character to cast four tactics in one round. But by using a Double Tactics effect and a Guaranteed Critical effect (remember the Imperial Seal item? It still does that), you can cast two tactics that deal critical damage, which can do an absurd amount of damage.

Edit: Okay, that does it. Today's Level 1 silver quest is *%#*ing impossible. In the other ones, Cao Cao could go solo and hold off the hordes while the silver is collected, and I could at least complete the mission in that way. Today, nope, they just slapped me around like a red-headed stepchild. Who designs these infuriating tasks?!?

I think I know what your issue would be there. The levels of enemies in Story stages and quests varies between a minimum and maximum level, based on the average level of characters you deploy. If in an earlier Silver quest you sent your Cao Cao out along with some lower level helpers, that would reduce the level of the enemies and let Cao Cao dominate. If this time you sent Cao Cao out alone, or with higher level helpers, then the enemies would be higher level too and Cao Cao wouldn't dominate.

Check the level range of the quest before you start it, and figure out if it's something you can manipulate to your advantage. If you want an even fight where everyone can gain good XP, send a group of characters close together within the quest's level range. If you want to try to solo with one character, send a higher level character with lower level helpers. If you want to dominate the quest, field a team that goes above its maximum level (not applicable for story quests, which have no maximum level).
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games